Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Says They'll Be Open-Sourcing More Of Their GPU Software Stack & Hardware Docs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Panix View Post
    Only gamers say this (all they do is game).
    It is hard to believe that you genuinely are considering AMD as you otherwise claim when you type a response like this.
    If you genuinely cared you would ask if anyone in this thread uses their AMD gpu for use cases outside of gaming and what their experience is, not a reply like this.

You also always go silent when I say I will figure out the requirements in Blender for your use case if you can tell me what it is (I still don't know, animation? VFX? Still render?) and as usual you don't respect any creatives whose use case would be satisfied by an AMD GPU (sculptors, Grease Pencil artists, animators etc etc).
    Almost as if you don't want to so you can continue hating on AMD gpus. So again, tell me, what do you want to make in Blender?

Because for video editing (the other thing you always mention), AMD offers an incredible value compared to Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
      You said something about monitoring. But there are other tools for overclocking, I just haven't used them.
      True but sometimes, the term monitoring encompass overclocking and other options, right?

Comment

Doesn't it just have basic functionality? It's not like Adrenalin in Windows, is it? Fan controls and over/underclocking/undervolting options?
        You mentioned monitoring, not overclocking and fan control, for which Tuxclocker exists (yes it monitors too).
        Which you should know about as with the last Phoronix article mentioning RX 7000 series support you were in the comment section.
        How are you not supposed to be a troll again?

Comment

Originally posted by tenchrio View Post

You mentioned monitoring, not overclocking and fan control, for which Tuxclocker exists (yes it monitors too).
          Which you should know about as with the last Phoronix article mentioning RX 7000 series support you were in the comment section.
          How are you not supposed to be a troll again?
          So, what? Those are third party tools with no funding or assistance by AMD (AMD doesn't provide one). These programs are sometimes called 'monitoring tools' - I think you know all this, you're just being a pita/troll.

Comment

So, what? Those are third party tools with no funding or assistance by AMD (AMD doesn't provide one).
            So, what? I doubt anyone cares since you can still use third party overclocking tools (thanks to exposure on /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage which is provided by AMD), even on Windows people prefer MSI Afterburner over the tools that ship with Nvidia or AMD. It is once again such a weird thing to nitpick. Tuxclocker is a superior tool even when using Nvidia, same for nvtop or nvitop which are third party over nvidia-smi.

Historically nvidia-settings also didn't re-apply your OC settings after a reboot unless you set it up with a script which guess what you can also do for pp_od_clk_voltage with AMD (for Nvidia I used to recommend GreenWithEnvy but since it fell without a maintainer, Tuxclocker is the go to for any GPU).
            It is so obvious you don't actually use these tools or used them in the past and are trying to get a rise out of the community.

These programs are sometimes called 'monitoring tools' - I think you know all this, you're just being a pita/troll.
            No, you're being the troll and reported for the pita comment. Monitoring is different from overclocking/control.
            If you google "gpu monitoring" you will find results like GPU-Z, HWinfo etc, none of those tools are for overclocking or fan control but monitoring, do I really need to provide the dictionary definition of monitoring? Overclocking tools can be used for monitoring as they tend to come with basic monitoring as well, but it is the same sense as every car is a vehicle but not every vehicle is a car.

Comment

OK so AMD GPU drivers will be better or not ?
              That's the only question ...

Comment

I hope this means ROCm support for lower end models. I was extremely disappointed that my new 7800 XT card is not supported for compute. I want to run open source LLMs locally!

Comment

That would be really great, but I don't think AMD will do it.
                  Empty promises mean nothing to me!
                  And I'm also getting the feeling that AMD likes to tease and make fun of us with the things that we want the most.

Comment

Originally posted by alexleduc View Post
                    I hope this means ROCm support for lower end models. I was extremely disappointed that my new 7800 XT card is not supported for compute. I want to run open source LLMs locally!
                    I thought the theory is, it should still work - you just have to figure out how to configure everything?

Comment

Originally posted by tenchrio View Post
                      So, what? I doubt anyone cares since you can still use third party overclocking tools (thanks to exposure on /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage which is provided by AMD), even on Windows people prefer MSI Afterburner over the tools that ship with Nvidia or AMD. It is once again such a weird thing to nitpick. Tuxclocker is a superior tool even when using Nvidia, same for nvtop or nvitop which are third party over nvidia-smi.

Historically nvidia-settings also didn't re-apply your OC settings after a reboot unless you set it up with a script which guess what you can also do for pp_od_clk_voltage with AMD (for Nvidia I used to recommend GreenWithEnvy but since it fell without a maintainer, Tuxclocker is the go to for any GPU).
                      It is so obvious you don't actually use these tools or used them in the past and are trying to get a rise out of the community.

No, you're being the troll and reported for the pita comment. Monitoring is different from overclocking/control.
                      If you google "gpu monitoring" you will find results like GPU-Z, HWinfo etc, none of those tools are for overclocking or fan control but monitoring, do I really need to provide the dictionary definition of monitoring? Overclocking tools can be used for monitoring as they tend to come with basic monitoring as well, but it is the same sense as every car is a vehicle but not every vehicle is a car.
                      Okay but the point is, AMD hasn't provided a similar tool (to Adrenalin) in Linux which has been a sore spot for even open source/Linux advocates who own AMD gpus. But, you just want to blabber about semantics. Go ahead, then, knock yourself out. We both know you won't touch on the point - either excuses or personal attacks are your forte.

GWE has been abandoned which is disappointing for ppl with Nvidia gpus. But, I'm not arguing about Nvidia - they are closed so they already have enough critiques but they don't have the FOSS cheerleaders saying how great AMD (gpus) are in Linux, right? I'm just pointing out another example where AMD neglects support in Linux. They can't be bothered to offer a similar program as Adrenalin in Windows and instead allow 3rd party programmers and developers to provide something like 3 different programs to do the functioning instead. THREE?!? If I'm not mistaken, Tuxclocker, Corectrl and LACT - are at least 3 options - that, afaik, offer monitoring and underclocking/undervolting (or combo thereof) plus fan profiles. Yet, AMD can't be bothered.

Comment

Working...
                      X