Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Says They'll Be Open-Sourcing More Of Their GPU Software Stack & Hardware Docs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
    For general use, AMD GPU drivers are already better. For compute use, HIP needs more works due to possible miscommunication from the ROCM team. However, applications like Darktable now properly handles ROCM OpenCL. Blender dropped the ball by hastily dropping OpenCL support for AMD.
    I 've read so many bad things about AMD GPUs especially that they are not so fast.
    I hope AMD will improve their linux drivers to the max !
    And come with faster cards...

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
      Are you sure? With dmraid you would first install Windows (and it should therefore always be accessible there) and then make the raid available in Linux to install your dualboot.

Maybe AMD uses a new raid/disk format that isn't jet supported by dmraid. But still Windows should have access either way. It's over 10 years since I've last used this, so I might be out of touch.
      I mean, I couldn´t get it to work, but that doesn´t mean I wasn´t doing something wrong. I should also mention I intended to boot from the array.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
        True but sometimes, the term monitoring encompass overclocking and other options, right?
        Absolutely not

Comment

Originally posted by WileEPyote View Post
          Now if only they would open source their storage drivers. I want to run an NVMe RAID in Linux dammit. Are you listening AMD?
          Sorry, what's wrong with mdadm / zfs / btrfs raid?
          Don't the AMD 's raid consume CPU cycles awnyway?

edit; okay, dual booting. You might want to try the windows btrfs drivers, it supposedly supports raid.
          Last edited by Magissia; 07 April 2024, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Magissia View Post

Sorry, what's wrong with mdadm / zfs / btrfs raid?
            Don't the AMD 's raid consume CPU cycles awnyway?

edit; okay, dual booting. You might want to try the windows btrfs drivers, it supposedly supports raid.
            I couldn't get it to work with a btrfs RAID. Maybe I'll try to revisit it and see what happens. Good idea. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by WileEPyote View Post
              I mean, I couldn´t get it to work, but that doesn´t mean I wasn´t doing something wrong. I should also mention I intended to boot from the array.
              Back in the days when I was using it (Ubuntu 7 or 8 I think) it was a lot of manual mess to get dual boot working. Dmraid needs to load super early to be able to boot linux.

Originally posted by Magissia View Post
              You might want to try the windows btrfs drivers, it supposedly supports raid.
              I don't think Win can boot from BTRFS?​

My solution would be, have a 1GB partition at the start of both SSDs, make one of that your FAT32-UEFI-Boot and regularly copy it over to the other Partition for safety. Then use the rest for a software raid0 that both understand (BTRFS?).
              I would guess that gives you much less headaches and shouldn't impact performance in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                Back in the days when I was using it (Ubuntu 7 or 8 I think) it was a lot of manual mess to get dual boot working. Dmraid needs to load super early to be able to boot linux.

I don't think Win can boot from BTRFS?​

My solution would be, have a 1GB partition at the start of both SSDs, make one of that your FAT32-UEFI-Boot and regularly copy it over to the other Partition for safety. Then use the rest for a software raid0 that both understand (BTRFS?).
                I would guess that gives you much less headaches and shouldn't impact performance in any way.
                I was thinking Win on my 4TB Gen 5 nvme, and Arch on 2 x 2TB gen 4 nvmes. Probably with GRUB on the Gen 5. I plan to do a clean Win install sometime soon. I'll try it then.

Comment

Working...
                X