HDMI Forum Rejects Open-Source HDMI 2.1 Driver Support Sought By AMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
    So stay away from the HDMI junk and use Displayport instead. I'm fine with that.
    Easier said then done sadly.

If your JUST playing games normally and doing NOTHING else, then yeah, it should be doable for sure.

I however use capture cards and have a 4090 and LG C1 OLED screen, the LG C1 was a VERY DAMN good price at the time so it was a no brainer.

I wish DisplayPort was faster to the punch then HDMI standard, but HDMI2.1 was out for over a year before DP2 came along. And sadly DP2 can't just be trans-coded to HDMI2.1, you need a pretty HIGH END convertor which creates a whole new layer of issues!

Comment

Yeah, and DP 1.0 was much faster than HDMI at the time. It goes both ways on the speed front.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
        I however use capture cards and have a 4090 and LG C1 OLED screen ...
        What does that mean?

Comment

Originally posted by user556 View Post
          What does that mean?
          It means HDMI2.1 is the only valid option.

Comment

IMG_20240228_221911_791.jpgjsaux newest usb hub hb1201s implements display port to hdmi 2.1 IC and it works. ATM the only issue I see is with audio, especially if I select 5.1 multichannel makes screen go black for a sec or show invalid format but 4k 120hz VRR 10Bit works 100%. I have contacted support with my findings and sent them videos . Hopefully firmware will fix it.

PS: i forgot. Im using an Legion Go + LG C1 + eARC to denon avr.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              You can use an adapter from DP to USB-C with DP tunneling. Something like this:
              Yes but that is besides the point. Adapters which support 4K@120 or higher are not cheap. And it would reward the despicable HDMI Forum with one more royalty payment.

Originally posted by boltronics View Post
              AMD should stick it to the HDMI Forum by dropping HDMI support for all of their high-end GPUs. Standard DisplayPort and USB-C ports only. Then, sell an official DisplayPort -> HDMI adapter for people who want "legacy" HDMI support.
              Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
              This. All AMD cards from this moment forward should see HDMI eliminated. A dongle is by far the easiest way.
              This doesn't work. Some of you may be old enough to remember R9 Fury, AMD received a whole lot of criticism for not supporting HDMI 2.0 on their graphics cards. The most that would work if AMD and their AIB partners integrate DP->HDMI conversion on the graphics card.

Originally posted by Theriverlethe View Post
              Doesn't Intel just circumvent this by building a DP adapter into their HDMI ports?
              Dunno about Intel, but Sony PS4 is known to use a discrete DP to HDMI encoder, presumably for HDR and/or CEC support. As console manufacturers are known to pinch every penny, it is probably an economically viable strategy.

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
              I've always found it odd that Display port isn't so popular on displays, many TV's don't have any support for it at all which is a shame since DP is actually really nice, It's used in phones, Highend embedded use (DSI still is far more popular, not sure why, probably a cost thing?)
              The large TV manufacturers are all members of the HDMI Forum and benefit from HDMI royalty payments, as noted by shmerl in comment #44 already.

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
              Except for every TV on the planet. And AV receivers. And most monitors these days are DP + HDMI. Don't get me wrong, I very badly want DP to incorporate the few TV related features that are unique to HDMI and kill it off. But saying HDMI is kinda dead is pretty silly.
              This is not how I understand the post which you replied to.

"HDMI is dead" rather refers to the fact that the new investment in HDMI is kind of winding down. USB-C HDMI Alternate Mode was never up to date and now pretty much irrelevant. The new technology that was introduced in HDMI 2.1 used (packet based transmission, DSC, etc) is just a replication of what DisplayPort already does.

So yes, HDMI will not go away anytime soon, like VGA is also still around today, more than 15 years after Intel, AMD and others announced that they would phase out this port. But it increasingly looks like it is going to be relegated to a legacy role.

And USB-C with DP Alternate Mode can already do all what HDMI can over DP, like switching on devices, audio backchannel, etc., just manufacturers need to agree on a common protocol.

Comment

I'd only get this if I had a DisplayPort monitor. But when I got my C1 the monitors on offer at the time here were HDR400 smaller and more expensive options.

They have come a long way since then however I will agree and if I was to buy a monitor again, I would go for a DP one. However then I be screwed since 4090 doesn't have DP2, and my capture card is HDMI2.1..... Yeah ok maybe I wouldn't. lol

Isn't USB4 going to be 80Gbps, that is just going to destroy the need for HDMI or DP! (one day)

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                  This doesn't work. Some of you may be old enough to remember R9 Fury, AMD received a whole lot of criticism for not supporting HDMI 2.0 on their graphics cards. The most that would work if AMD and their AIB partners integrate DP->HDMI conversion on the graphics card.
                  I have an R9 Fury X hooked up to my living room TV, and guess what? I use a DP to HDMI 2.0 dongle (so I can at least get 4K@60). It was I think AU$10 or something ridiculously cheap. I don't see what the issue is.

Comment

Just use display port and be done with it. Vote with your wallets people.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                      It means HDMI2.1 is the only valid option.
                      That means nothing.

Comment

Working...
                      X