Linux Can Now Engage GFXOFF When Running ROCm Compute Apps On RDNA3 GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Can Now Engage GFXOFF When Running ROCm Compute Apps On RDNA3 GPUs

Phoronix: Linux Can Now Engage GFXOFF When Running ROCm Compute Apps On RDNA3 GPUs

Merged as part of an initial batch of AMDGPU/AMDKFD fixes for the in-development Linux 6.8 kernel is support for enabling the GFXOFF feature when ROCm compute applications are active on GFX11 (RDNA3) hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I was getting green screens + reboots with my new radeon 7800 xt, and solved the issue by disabling xscreensaver (I believe that has something to do with the gfxoff thing). Now I’m only getting black screens + reboots… yay. It’s the first time I have so many issues with a new PC build (all AMD… wifi issues, gpu issues, sound issues).

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
      I was getting green screens + reboots with my new radeon 7800 xt, and solved the issue by disabling xscreensaver (I believe that has something to do with the gfxoff thing). Now I’m only getting black screens + reboots… yay. It’s the first time I have so many issues with a new PC build (all AMD… wifi issues, gpu issues, sound issues).
      Sounds like broken memory or power supply. Did you try to run memtest or mprime torture test?

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
        Sounds like broken memory or power supply. Did you try to run memtest or mprime torture test?
        memtest yes, I ran it one night at 4800MHz and another night at 6GHz (the normal "expo" speed for these ram modules), and it found no error.

The PSU is new, a Be Quiet 850W Platinum, should be ok but a defect is always possible I suppose.
        Last edited by stqn; 20 January 2024, 09:28 AM.

Comment

memtest yes, I ran it one night at 4800MHz and another night at 6GHz (the normal "expo" speed for these ram modules), and it found no error.

The PSU is new, a Be Quiet 850W Platinum, should be ok but a defect is always possible I suppose.
          Memtest sometimes needs to run for days. Mprime's torture test yields results much faster in my experience.

Comment

Take a look https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/3062

Comment

green screens and black screens are nearly all gpu related issues. unless there are widespread reports of other 7800 xt users sharing the same exact issues, chances are, you got a bad 7800 xt. i would send it back for another if you still can.

Comment

Originally posted by Rauros View Post
                Doesn’t seem related, but maybe https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/3092

Originally posted by pieman
                green screens and black screens are nearly all gpu related issues. unless there are widespread reports of other 7800 xt users sharing the same exact issues, chances are, you got a bad 7800 xt. i would send it back for another if you still can.
                Yes, there are many reports of green screens with 7800XT cards of all brands, on Linux and on Windows. Some people have RMA’d their card, gotten another one, only to have the exact same issue.
                I haven’t searched so much about the black screens, but there are mentions of that too, and grey screens… whatever that means.

Originally posted by oleid
                Memtest sometimes needs to run for days. Mprime's torture test yields results much faster in my experience.
                I ran mprime for a while with no issue…
                Last edited by stqn; 21 January 2024, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X