Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Linux Graphics No Longer Unusable For Blender Developers: 251 To 9 Seconds Speed-Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
    I define success in this case as widely adopted and used.

then your definition is broken by design. because closed source microsoft windows is widely adopted and used
    closed source CUDA is widely adopted and used...
    your definition is total bullshit.

thats clearly not a definition of success for the opensource community and linux in general.

isnt EGLstream more an example that when there are multiple options available that work on all hardware the one that only works with one vender (in this case nvidia) is the one that ultimately fails?
    this is not in the lind of my technicall unterstanding. EGLsteams is more what andorid/chromeos does and this has much higher marketshare than linux.

you can read it here: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=26753677

"Actually EGLstream is the standard (albeit proposed by nVidia) while gbm is an API specific to some Linux drivers.​"
    "EGLStreams is the actual Khronos standard (https://www.khronos.org/egl) as such existing on Windows, QNX and others.​"

this means what you talk is nonsense.

the battle between EGLStream and GBM proof that an absolute minority can force their will on the majority​

if only this minority is a group of elite hackers ...

The only exception to that is something like CUDA or sound/video editing hardware I forget the names of, where there are no real alternatives and everyone elses hardware is decades behind, the alternatives then will never get adopted.l, at least until/unless the other hardware catches up - like maybe when we see the compute of a 7800XTX in a $20 GPU from a manufacturer other than nvidia.
    Over the last decade, the landscape of machine learning software development has undergone significant changes. Many frameworks have come and gone, but most have relied heavily on leveraging Nvidia's CUDA and performed best on Nvidia GPUs. However, with the arrival of PyTorch 2.0 and OpenAI's Triton, Nvidia's dominant position in this field, mainly due to its software moat, is being disrupted.

" How Nvidia’s CUDA Monopoly In Machine Learning Is Breaking - OpenAI Triton And PyTorch 2.0"

if you read this article it becomes clear that the CUDA monopole is going down.

the reason is because PyTorch 2.0 won the AI war and as soon this runs on other hardware for example AMD hardware the monopole of nvidia is broken.
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

then your definition is broken by design. because closed source microsoft windows is widely adopted and used
      If you dont think windows is successful I really don't want to burst your bubble tbh.
      andorid/chromeos
      andorid and chromeos are linux distributions. You know that right?
      Last edited by mSparks; 01 August 2023, 08:54 PM.

Comment

If you dont think windows is successful I really don't want to burst your bubble tbh.
        well you know what i did knew you have exactly this thought error.

well windows is successful in capitalism in the overall market it is not successful in the meaning of the FLOSS community.

and i honestly do not care about Microsoft/windows at all and i know 100% that microsoft lost the battle.
        you can see the proof here: https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share
        Linux overall has ~44% marketshare and microsoft windows only has 29% marketshare

this proof even by your definition Microsoft lost.

andorid and chromeos are linux distributions. You know that right?
        andorid and chrome os use the linux kernel but NOTHING else it does not use X11 it does not use wayland it does not use anything what makes a GNU/linux desktop like fedora linux...

in gnu/linux people mostly use bash shell scripting or python or rust or c/c++ in andorid they mostly use "JAVA" as it is the native programming language of andorid...

if you try to programm for your andorid phone in a gnu/linux style of way you of course fail

the only way to programm for it in a standard non-andorid way is to use HTML/CSS/javascript or webassembly.

but i talk to a man who believe 29% is more than 40%+ and a man who believe that we as a FLOSS community are not allowed to have different meaning of success outside of capitalism ...

Comment

well windows is successful in capitalism in the overall market it is not successful in the meaning of the FLOSS community.
          That I can't really let slide tbh.
          GPL is all about paying software developers for their time not their intellectual capital, its 100% capitalism at its worst tbh - communism for the rich, capitalism for the poor.
          I mean, its great that I don't have to pay the developers of Linux for their collective intellectual capital the same way microsoft customers pay for Microsofts intellectual capital, but the only difference between windows and linux in terms of economics, is the cost of duplicate work has been reduced to zero for software released under GPL.

AMD aren't "leaders of FLOSS".
          They just have near zero financial interest in paying for desktop drivers and will take whatever charity they can for their bottom line as idiots are willing to donate to their shareholders, eff, that.

All AMDs half decent kit (e.g. hardware video decoders) are not open source.

NVIDIA, otoh, have serious intellectual capital vested in their desktop drivers
          e.g. PhysX,
          Get the latest physics simulation libraries., releases, and features.

and require that to be paid for.

if you try to programm for your andorid phone in a gnu/linux style of way you of course fail
          Bullshit, many of the most successful android applications and games use linux native. android just has many more developer tools than windows or the average linux distro combined.
          Last edited by mSparks; 02 August 2023, 09:50 PM.

Comment

That I can't really let slide tbh.
            GPL is all about paying software developers for their time not their intellectual capital, its 100% capitalism at its worst tbh - communism for the rich, capitalism for the poor.
            I mean, its great that I don't have to pay the developers of Linux for their collective intellectual capital the same way microsoft customers pay for Microsofts intellectual capital, but the only difference between windows and linux in terms of economics, is the cost of duplicate work has been reduced to zero for software released under GPL.
            AMD aren't "leaders of FLOSS".
            They just have near zero financial interest in paying for desktop drivers and will take whatever charity they can for their bottom line as idiots are willing to donate to their shareholders, eff, that.
            All AMDs half decent kit (e.g. hardware video decoders) are not open source.
            NVIDIA, otoh, have serious intellectual capital vested in their desktop drivers
            e.g. PhysX,
            Get the latest physics simulation libraries., releases, and features.

and require that to be paid for.
            Bullshit, many of the most successful android applications and games use linux native. android just has many more developer tools than windows or the average linux distro combined.
            https://android.googlesource.com/pla...c/SYSCALLS.TXT
            isn't PhysX the stuff you need a Nvidia GPU to have GPU-Acceleration ? for this fact alone i would never use it and i would never buy it. and i honestly do not know anyone in the FLOSS community to ever consider PhysX as serious.

you claim linux/FLOSS is "100% capitalism" i use it for 25 years and never paid a single Euro/Dollar...

capitalism means that you have to pay for the goods you use and i used linux for 25 years and never paid anything.

you are free to pay a developer to programm a functionality what is not there if couese but you do not need to do so.

AMD takes whatever charity ??? it looks more like they earn a good money for all the hardware they sell to the linux people.

Comment

capitalism means that you have to pay for the goods you use and i used linux for 25 years and never paid anything.
              capitalism is an economy based on income from capital. (charging of interest)
              GPL fundamentally prevents software developers who contribute it from acquiring capital, they give it away for free so large corporations like amazon and google can charge them interest on it (aka rent them servers).

In the case of AMD, they use it to reduce their cost of capital, rather than pay royalties to the original authors, they get it for nothing. But only when it suites them, same as the rest.
              Last edited by mSparks; 04 August 2023, 08:35 AM.

Comment

capitalism is an economy based on income from capital. (charging of interest)
                GPL fundamentally prevents software developers who contribute it from acquiring capital, they give it away for free so large corporations like amazon and google can charge them interest on it (aka rent them servers).
                In the case of AMD, they use it to reduce their cost of capital, rather than pay royalties to the original authors, they get it for nothing. But only when it suites them, same as the rest.
                I truely do not unterstand what is your problem. dude its called FREEDOM you are Free to do FLOSS/FOSS or not
                if you don't like it just install microsoft windows and only buy commercial closed source software.
                absolute no one force you into doing FLOSS.

but yeah i get your point AMD is evil, Google is evil, Amazon is evil, FLOSS is evil,

only microsoft and nvidia are the good guys because they do good old closed source ...

Comment

I truely do not unterstand what is your problem. dude its called FREEDOM you are Free to do FLOSS/FOSS or not
                  if you don't like it just install microsoft windows and only buy commercial closed source software.
                  absolute no one force you into doing FLOSS.

but yeah i get your point AMD is evil, Google is evil, Amazon is evil, FLOSS is evil,

only microsoft and nvidia are the good guys because they do good old closed source ...
                  Nope, it's not evil, there is nothing wrong with capitalism.
                  But encouraging people to do stupid things (like pay extra for substandard desktop hardware by AMD) because AMD are somehow better for releasing meaningless bits of their GPU drivers first as GPL is pretty evil.

Comment

meaningless bits of their GPU drivers first as GPL
                    I try to stay out of these kinds of debates but I have to ask about "meaningless bits of GPU drivers"... since when is a driver stack "meaningless bits" ?

We actually release under MIT/X11 rather than GPL.
                    Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by mSparks View Post
                      Nope, it's not evil, there is nothing wrong with capitalism.
                      But encouraging people to do stupid things (like pay extra for substandard desktop hardware by AMD) because AMD are somehow better for releasing meaningless bits of their GPU drivers first as GPL is pretty evil.
                      AMD hardware is not substandard desktop hardware. also you do not pay extra because AMD is cheaper than Nvidia.
                      and you see you are a clear liar as bridgman writes: "We actually release under MIT/X11 rather than GPL."
                      so whats your mission here everthing you write is a lie or wrong.

also to your knowelege nvidia did stop producing Geforce GPUs in favor of producing their AI server gpus...
                      thats why Nvidia is extra extra expensive right now.

as you can see the cheapest 7900XTX is 949€

if you compare this to a Nvidia card like the 4080

what costs 1149€

what is a 200€ difference... and on linux benchmarks show the amd card lead the most benchmarks

so your claim that people "pay extra" for substandard hardware is nonsense

Comment

Working...
                      X