Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Linux Graphics No Longer Unusable For Blender Developers: 251 To 9 Seconds Speed-Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Linux Graphics No Longer Unusable For Blender Developers: 251 To 9 Seconds Speed-Up

Phoronix: AMD Linux Graphics No Longer Unusable For Blender Developers: 251 To 9 Seconds Speed-Up

Two weeks ago a bug report was opened for Mesa that when using Radeon RX 7900 XT or Radeon Pro WX 9100 graphics, Blender's Eevee shader node trees are unusably slow. A fix has now been merged in reducing that shader compilation time from around 251 seconds to now getting done in just about 9 seconds...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My life has NEVER EVER been without problems when it comes to Nvidia. In the 15 years that i have been using Linux it always was a headache with Nvidia. Under Ubuntu it was much more stable, but still not without headache every now and then. I have now been using Fedora for like a year or so with KDE. All i can say is issue after issue with Nvidia drivers.

"On the Nvidia cards I've tested, the compilation instead takes 6-7 seconds without any cache."

If this was the other way around, GOOD LUCK with getting such a bug fixed. In the last year the amount of stress that have been build up because of countless bugs that i have faced suddenly disappeared and i mean literally ALL of them. How? I bought a AMD card..

Comment

Impressive improvement. Seeing as this appears to be a change to the NIR compiler and isn't specifically a Blender fix, does that mean other applications/games will have improved too?

Comment

AyyMD

Comment

Now swap these cards back in and show Valve some love.

Comment

Originally posted by shinger View Post
            My life has NEVER EVER been without problems when it comes to Nvidia. In the 15 years that i have been using Linux it always was a headache with Nvidia. Under Ubuntu it was much more stable, but still not without headache every now and then. I have now been using Fedora for like a year or so with KDE. All i can say is issue after issue with Nvidia drivers.

"On the Nvidia cards I've tested, the compilation instead takes 6-7 seconds without any cache."

If this was the other way around, GOOD LUCK with getting such a bug fixed. In the last year the amount of stress that have been build up because of countless bugs that i have faced suddenly disappeared and i mean literally ALL of them. How? I bought a AMD card..
            You know a blanket statement like this is complete BS when it spends two paragraphs stating something is horrible without providing a single example and to trump it all, we're in the news piece which discusses a missed optimization in the open source driver which resulted a 25 fold slow down. And the fix is yet to be released.

I mean right now this issue doesn't exist for Nvidia users but here we are discussing AMD and it won't be a Linux related forum if someone doesn't sh*t on Nvidia without providing any reasons for hating the company.

No idea how to call it, pathetic? Cringe? Bigotry? It's you to decide.

Comment

Let me get this straight: instead of opening a bug report from the beginning (and which apparently took a few days to fix), they swapped all the cards with the consequently loss of time and increased costs of supposedly buying the new nVidia cards ...

Comment

Oh, the user claims they've been using an AMD GPU for over a year.

Let me claim something else: I've got three systems with Nvidia, Intel and AMD GPUs right now and the least problematic by far have been Intel and Nvidia.

AMD is so far behind, it's not even worth mentioning. Nvidia has worked near flawlessly for me for the past decade aside from a recently introduced major bug which results in flickering. And it affects primarily Turing users.

NVIDIA Open GPU Kernel Modules Version 535.43.02 Does this happen with the proprietary driver (of the same version) as well? Yes Operating System and Version Fedora 38 Kernel Release 6.3.5 Hardware...

Comment

Originally posted by smotad View Post
                  Let me get this straight: instead of opening a bug report from the beginning (and which apparently took a few days to fix), they swapped all the cards with the consequently loss of time and increased costs of supposedly buying the new nVidia cards ...
                  Some people use their GPUs to make money, not to play. I know it's hard to imagine but that's the reality of the situation. Waiting for AMD GPUs to finish could cost them more than buying GPUs that worked. The company couldn't have known how much time it would take to fix the bug.

Of course for phoronix arm chair analysts it's all simple.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

You know a blanket statement like this is complete BS when it spends two paragraphs stating something is horrible without providing a single example and to trump it all, we're in the news piece which discusses a missed optimization in the open source driver which resulted a 25 fold slow down. And the fix is yet to be released.

I mean right now this issue doesn't exist for Nvidia users but here we are discussing AMD and it won't be a Linux related forum if someone doesn't sh*t on Nvidia without providing any reasons for hating the company.

No idea how to call it, pathetic? Cringe? Bigotry? It's you to decide.
                    You seriously think i have time or enjoy to go and just "sh*t" on a company out of enjoyment. Well in that case i could do it with passion with Microsoft, but instead i rather be positive in life and not think about Microsoft anymore as they only bring up all the stress and trauma's i have had with it during my personal and professional life.

Let me give you a few Nvidia issues i have had.

- My browser just flikkering. I have to move my mouse or press KDE menu button to make it snap out of it. And yes this constantly every few minutes if i don't move the mouse. No it was not because of the Vulkan option in the browser being turned on.
                    - When KDE installs updates it reboots, installs updates and reboots again to go in to the desktop interface. The part of installing updates..i just have a black screen. One day by accident i did not reboot the computer and came to know that indeed it was rebooting and installed the updates.
                    - Fedora comes with the latest stable Linux kernel, Nvidia card cannot handle it, because the kernel is not yet compatible with the Nvidia driver. (this even happend just friday or saturday with Linux kernel 6.4.4..that is when i decided i have had enough of this nonsense.
                    - The login screen of KDE, the mouse being SUPER slow until i can click and type my password.
                    - Random: Just being on the computer ..suddenly black screen..no CLI with F2 or F3 as it isn't a display manager issue. Even the monitor not detecting any signal anymore.
                    - I use Viber as a videocall application with friends and family. Installed it through Flatpak..just a window border, but no window of the application it self.

These on top of my head and no really i am not kidding you..ALL of those issues..disappeared when i changed to AMD. So no i am not doing it out of enjoyment. Too much stress and i was almost scolding myself by not buying an AMD card much sooner. Life is too short by being surrounded by negative people or equipment that bring up negative emotions.

Comment

Working...
                    X