Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD GFX1150 & GFX1151 Targets Being Added To AMDGPU LLVM Backend

Phoronix: AMD GFX1150 & GFX1151 Targets Being Added To AMDGPU LLVM Backend

New AMDGPU targets seeing the initial plumbing merged today for LLVM 17 are GFX1150 and GFX1151 as upcoming AMD APU products...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I find it confusing that although it's listed under RDNA 3, the architecture is still referred to as "amdgcn". If I hadn't actually browsed the code I would think it referred to a Vega APU. Probably not worth the effort to refactor that. Or maybe GCN and RDNA are in the same driver package somehow ? Because the only other architecture I saw in this file e.g. was "r600"…

Comment

Originally posted by Terr-E View Post
      I find it confusing that although it's listed under RDNA 3, the architecture is still referred to as "amdgcn". If I hadn't actually browsed the code I would think it referred to a Vega APU. Probably not worth the effort to refactor that. Or maybe GCN and RDNA are in the same driver package somehow ? Because the only other architecture I saw in this file e.g. was "r600"…
      The RDNA ISA still still pretty much the same as GCN, with some changes of course between generations, but that's also true for GCN 1,2,3... So there is no reason for the target in LLVM to get a different name.

Comment

The shader ISA has not changed significantly since GCN (GFX6). That was a substantially different ISA from pre-GFX6 hardware (r600) and warranted a new shader backend. That is not the case with CDNA and RDNA; the same shader backend works just fine for all ISA families since GFX6.

Comment

If it helps, remember that driver component projects are named for the *first* generation of hardware they support. The rationale is that when a component is created we know the first generation that will be supported but we have no idea what the last generation to be covered will be since it probably does not exist yet.

In the same way, the "radeon" kernel driver supports the original radeon GPUs (R100) plus several later generations (right up to CI), and the "radeonsi" Mesa driver supports the original GCN part (Southern Islands / GFX6) right up to RDNA3 and beyond.
          Test signature

Comment

Working...
          X