Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD FidelityFX SDK 1.0 Published On GPUOpen

Phoronix: AMD FidelityFX SDK 1.0 Published On GPUOpen

AMD has made available the FidelityFX SDK solution available via GPUOpen as their easy-to-integrate offering for FidelityFX technologies...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

is FidelityFX Super Resolution​ has something similar to Nvidia Video super-resolution which is used by Browser to upscale old YT vidoes ? Microsoft added something similar to Edge which also supports AMD but it was not Working except for Windows
    https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/...microsoft-edge . It is pretty helpful when watching old 360-480-720 videos in 4k+ monitors

Comment

Is it just me, or Windows is a requirement to run any sample?

Comment

Originally posted by luno View Post
        is FidelityFX Super Resolution​ has something similar to Nvidia Video super-resolution which is used by Browser to upscale old YT vidoes ? Microsoft added something similar to Edge which also supports AMD but it was not Working except for Windows
        https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/...microsoft-edge . It is pretty helpful when watching old 360-480-720 videos in 4k+ monitors
        This is FSR, the same thing that games use to upscale and is equivalent to NVIDIA DLSS. I'm not sure if AMD has something akin to Video Super Resolution, but FSR itself can be used for videos...though I've used the GLSL version made for MPV and I think whatever scaling MPV does by default is better. Maybe that's just me, though.

Perhaps in the future AMD will come out with something that's specifically made for videos.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

This is FSR, the same thing that games use to upscale and is equivalent to NVIDIA DLSS. I'm not sure if AMD has something akin to Video Super Resolution, but FSR itself can be used for videos...though I've used the GLSL version made for MPV and I think whatever scaling MPV does by default is better. Maybe that's just me, though.

Perhaps in the future AMD will come out with something that's specifically made for videos.
          For real-time video upscaling, I still swear by https://github.com/bloc97/Anime4K. Even on live action videos or 1080p YouTube input, it does a surprisingly good job. (With yt-dlp integration, you can pass any YouTube URL to mpv to let it play in mpv, and use Anime4K directly without having to save the video to disk).

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post

For real-time video upscaling, I still swear by https://github.com/bloc97/Anime4K. Even on live action videos or 1080p YouTube input, it does a surprisingly good job. (With yt-dlp integration, you can pass any YouTube URL to mpv to let it play in mpv, and use Anime4K directly without having to save the video to disk).
            Originally posted by luno View Post

there are tons of scalars and many people prefer different things, out of all the ones i've tested, ive come to develop a general ruleset for myself

when watching livestreams which are typically massively bitstarved, FSR typically does the best job at upscaling, but needs additional sharpening so I will apply NVsharpen shader. I will use simply FSR for animated 3d content.

when watching good quality live action content, FSRCNNX is one of the best scalars around, it destroys nvidia's upscaling easily. for upscaling animated 2d content, I actually just use cscale=mitchell (scales chroma IE the 2,0 part of 4,2,0) and scale=ewa_lanczos (scales the luma parts which is where most of the definition comes in) sometimes depending on how low resolution is you do need a touch of sharpening so you can use CAS shader to bring that back up.

anything more extreme then basic upscaling and sharpening I will just use VS to pre-upscale.

not a fan of anime4k myself since it has a tendency to smudge and remove fine detail too much

EDIT: ofc this is built upon other good settings too, this is incomplete since I had to nuke the install but i've been adding this back to this as I remember, I use input.conf to override settings as I need them
            mpv testing conf. GitHub Gist: instantly share code, notes, and snippets.
            Last edited by Quackdoc; 12 July 2023, 09:25 PM.

Comment

For the other GUI users, y'all can add them to SMPlayer by adding --glsl-shaders="~/Downloads/FSR.glsl" in Preferences/Advanced/MPV/Options, setting the output driver to General/Video to gpu-next, and setting vaapi/vdpau. I happened to have it set to vdpau last night, not vaapi like my AMD GPU would have liked, so when I double checked my settings and retested this morning I noticed a bit more sharpness and clean lines on an episode of Dragonball upscaled to 4K from 720x540 with FSR.glsl.
              • Resolution: 720 x 540
              • Aspect ratio: 1.33333
              • Format: h264
              • Bitrate: 523 kbps
              • Frames per second: 23.976025
              • Selected codec: h264
              And for Wayland users, set QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb globally for SMPlayer or SMPlayer will just piss you off (I used the KDE System Settings for both it and Enqueue). I think that's going to be default for SMPlayer in the future, but I had to learn that one the hard way back in February when I said screw it and switched to Wayland full-time.
              Last edited by skeevy420; 13 July 2023, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                And for Wayland users, set QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb globally for SMPlayer
                I assume that's about the Wayland issue where it can't embed the MPV playback into the SMPlayer window causing two separate windows?

Is `xcb` to run it with XWayland instead and still get HW accel? I remember the developer once suggesting using shared memory (SHM) for MPV as a renderer mode but IIRC that meant losing GPU decode or something :\

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

I assume that's about the Wayland issue where it can't embed the MPV playback into the SMPlayer window causing two separate windows?

Is `xcb` to run it with XWayland instead and still get HW accel? I remember the developer once suggesting using shared memory (SHM) for MPV as a renderer mode but IIRC that meant losing GPU decode or something :\
                  Yes and Yes. Forces it to XWayland to embed the video and it has HW acceleration. Here's a snippet from the SMPlayer/MPV log of the first episode of Dragonball:

Code:
                  (+) Video --vid=1 (*) (h264 720x540 23.976fps)
                  (+) Audio --aid=1 --alang=eng (*) (aac 2ch 48000Hz)
                  Audio --aid=2 --alang=jpn (aac 1ch 48000Hz)
                  Subs --sid=1 --slang=eng (subrip)
                  Using hardware decoding (vaapi).​

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

currently the largest issue with mpv's libmpv is that window embedding is the only way to get libplacebo/gpu-next which is quite the downer.

Comment

Working...
                    X