Valve Still Making RADV Driver Improvements To AMD GCN 1.0 Era Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barley9432 View Post

Don't know what you're celebrating about, NVIDIA has supported this Vulkan extension for similarly aged of their cards for years: https://vulkan.gpuinfo.org/displayre...241#extensions
    Nvidia offers only closed source drivers.
    I think closed source drivers are crap, I can't celebrate that!
    To me what's important is what's in the Linux kernel and in Mesa drivers.

Comment

Kabini Halo just because? Lezgo

Comment

"amdgpu" is the current kernel driver
        "radeon" is the legacy kernel driver
        "radeonsi" is the current opengl stuff (in mesa?)

Comment

Originally posted by marlock View Post
          "amdgpu" is the current kernel driver for GPUs starting with SI (GFX6)
          "radeon" is the legacy kernel driver for GPUs starting with R100/RN50 and ending with CI (GFX7)
          "radeonsi" is the current opengl and video encode/decode stuff in mesa for GPUs starting with SI
          Yep... added a couple of tweaks for completeness. It's possible that all of the video code is in a common section shared between r300, r600 and radeonsi.

Note that for all chips from r300 up the OpenGL and video API calls go through a shared state tracker which calls down into Gallium3D pipe and winsys drivers.

When we talk about "r300", "r600" and "radeonsi" in Mesa we are really talking about the associated pipe drivers in src/gallium/drivers.
          Last edited by bridgman; 01 July 2023, 09:27 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

Is ray tracing technically supported on these cards —> RDNA1? Just with a massive performance hit?

thought I recalled an article awhile back but can’t seem to find it

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikr1848 View Post
              Is ray tracing technically supported on these cards —> RDNA1? Just with a massive performance hit?

thought I recalled an article awhile back but can’t seem to find it
              You can implement ray tracing on just about any hardware with shaders, but the performance will be really poor without native instructions or hardware.

Comment

I guess nice that it can at least run on those cards. But i think it would be bad experience, halo infinite runs so bad even on RX 480, while it actually performed better on linux than windows on RX 480.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

You can implement ray tracing on just about any hardware with shaders, but the performance will be really poor without native instructions or hardware.
                  Is that what it was? For some reason I thought it was dedicating “x” number of “CUs” to RT, and the other amount to non-RT.

Like a pre-RDNA project. Can’t find it. Maybe I’m imagining things.

Comment

Working...
                  X