Valve Still Making RADV Driver Improvements To AMD GCN 1.0 Era Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
    Please tell that to the kernel maintainers. We (RADV developers) can't do much about it.
    right you are right. but it is pointless i asked in the past to switch it to AMDGPU kernel driver and the anwer is always the same: "no"

the reason why is the VGA output driver DVI and HDMI output works but the analog VGA output does not work.

the VGA output works on the old RadeonSI kernel driver and does not work on the AMDGPU kernel driver...

and no one want to fix the VGA output on the AMDGPU kernel driver.

and because people sit in front of the computer with black-screen in case of VGA conection is used if the AMDGPU kernel driver is used because of this they do not want to switch to the AMDGPU kernel driver.

they say if you want RADV to work for vulkan you can discover the GRUB2 command to start with AMDGPU and then you get black screen and you can google that in combination of your GCN1 hardware and then maybe you get the idea from google that you need to use DVI/HDMI instead of VGA and if you want VGA you can use a HDMI to VGA adapter.

honestly VGA monitors become more and more rare so in my point of view it is not a good advice to keep the old kernel driver for that reason.
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

point is GCN1 cards do not use the AMDGPU kernel driver and vulkan in RADV only works with AMDGPU..

it use the old radeon kernel driver because of this by default people have no vulkan with GCN1 cards.

this work on vulkan is only usefull if the amdgpu kernel driver is set to be the default for these cards.
      Or if someone overrides the default driver, like linux users do:

Comment

Originally posted by ozeszty View Post
        Or if someone overrides the default driver, like linux users do:
        https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/AMD..._(CIK)_support
        right. but it would be better to fix the VGA code in AMDGPU... to abandon the radeon kernel module completely.

Comment

Sure, thankfully the workaround is not that difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            So nice of them!
            Take that Nvidia with you close source crap model!
            Don't know what you're celebrating about, NVIDIA has supported this Vulkan extension for similarly aged of their cards for years: https://vulkan.gpuinfo.org/displayre...241#extensions

Comment

Originally posted by Barley9432 View Post
              Don't know what you're celebrating about, NVIDIA has supported this Vulkan extension for similarly aged of their cards for years: https://vulkan.gpuinfo.org/displayre...241#extensions
              logically the concept of nvidia does not work in the linux world.
              people pay money to nvidia for the hardware they buy from nvidia then nvidia has a spezific sum of money.
              then over time this sum of money is consumed because the support of the hardware consumes the money.
              then over longer time this sum of money who is needed to support the hardware becomes bigger than the sum the people orginally paid to nvidia...

thats why this concept can not work.

logically the concept of valve with opensource drivers on amd hardware works much better valve always gets fresh money from their app store and the games sold with that money they can pay driver development.

you see no matter how good is Nvidia they will fail woth closed source drivers.

Comment

I don't intend to play this game, but I always appreciate these kind of efforts. Thanks, Samuel.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post
                  the VGA output works on the old RadeonSI kernel driver and does not work on the AMDGPU kernel driver...
                  Again, RadeonSI is NOT a kernel driver.

Comment

I use amdgpu, and I use it with VGA display with no problems.
                    I have a amd APU 7800, it has a radeon r7 graphics on it..

It works in Debian and Fedora too.
                    Now...it could be that my motherboard has VGA circuitry incorporated...maybe

For accelerated h264 encoding, vaapi shows that it uses RadeonSI.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
                      Again, RadeonSI is NOT a kernel driver.
                      i have no problem to call it radeon kernel driver......

Comment

Working...
                      X