X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

At least try to be honest in your comparisons:

Still fail to see any difference?
    It's a clear difference but mainly because it's the same room at different daytimes. Without a text on it I wouldn't be able to say this is RT and this is raster. And I doub't you would either.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
      It's a clear difference but mainly because it's the same room at different daytimes. Without a text on it I wouldn't be able to say this is RT and this is raster. And I doub't you would either.

No difference whatsoever:

Last edited by avis; 16 December 2022, 05:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
        The only obvious difference here is total internal reflection on glass and water, that would be the only point where I could say "this is definitly RT".
        No difference whatsoever:

https://imgsli.com/MTQwMjc3
        It's graded darker? That is what I could do with a simple grading filter.

Edit: 2 seconds custom gamma curve in gimp: grading.jpg and as a game dev you have much more possibilitys with grading and changing the light sources.

I don't know why you 2 try to put me in some RT hater box because I never said anything bad about it. My point is just that state of the art raster graphics is already pretty good and the differences to RT are really subtile.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Anux; 16 December 2022, 06:21 AM.

Comment

I agree with latin birdie, lack of RT performance sucks.
          To everyone who disagree I would advise to see recent digital foundry's review of latest fortnite update with latest UE. On a first glance this is a review of differences between Xbox series S/XSX/PC and usual "look here, this reflection or shadow is missing". But one idea you shouldn't miss is "this is the same game with same content rendered with different lumen settings". No one had to adapt game's content, no one had to place additional light sources to make lighting look better. Xbox Series S with potato-mode lighting and high-end pc with RT - they all render same content. And this is Unreal Engine, half of games (not counting browser and mobile) are based on it. So you can guess how usual multiplatform title or lazy port of some console title will be made: "Just tinker some lumen settings and voila, we have ultra mode with cp2077-tier lighting". It is easier and cheaper than creating some hi-poly models or hi-res textures. So, I bet, everybody who have bought a new "great performance for a reasonable price" AMD GPU soon will find themself in a situation where they will have to play with middle settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Khrundel View Post
            But one idea you shouldn't miss is "this is the same game with same content rendered with different lumen settings". No one had to adapt game's content, no one had to place additional light sources to make lighting look better. Xbox Series S with potato-mode lighting and high-end pc with RT - they all render same content.
            Same game as compared to pre-update? That would be wrong since the more complex geometry is also doing its part and that's been upgraded as explained at around 09:00.
            The other sentence is completely wrong since two thirds of the video explain the differences between various consoles and PC, and XSS doesn't have all the advantages of Lumen as PC; not even X and PS5 do, although they get most of them. And even then, that would show that you can get quite far with PS5-class hardware. Also no, you don't just "tinker with some Lumen settings", the video also explains that the asset must have the required properties, and then it works in all cases without further refining in different scenes and lighting conditions; those properties also have a cost as part of asset creation, though it can be said that such one-time effort pays better in the long run... if enough of your target audience is on Lumen-capable hardware, that is.

In any case, the degree of inaccuracy when reporting both RTRT and other lighting technologies has gone to 💩, so another thread wasted for religion wars and hijacked by elitists. Can't fathom why users of any (as of now, luxury) GPU from any vendor would be wasting time mocking other users sitting on other vendors' GPUs instead of clipping around RTRT'd Night City, or at the very least discussing this stuff with intellectual honesty.

Comment

Originally posted by chocolate View Post
              Same game as compared to pre-update?
              No.
              two thirds of the video explain the differences between various consoles and PC,
              Yes. But you've got everything wrong. Yes, PC with "high"-settings lumen gives noticeably better graphics. But this is a same game content. Same level, same geometry, same materials, same lightsources. Only thing differs is how engine processes lighting.
              and XSS doesn't have all the advantages of Lumen as PC; not even X and PS5 do,
              Sure. And now you can guess what the life of AMD card users will be for next couple of years. Almost every game will have RT support thanks to UE5 and lumen. And they will have to lower lighting settings to middle, while nvidia users will stick to high or ultra.
              Also no, you don't just "tinker with some Lumen settings", the video also explains that the asset must have the required properties, and then it works in all cases without further refining in different scenes and lighting conditions; those properties also have a cost as part of asset creation, though it can be said that such one-time effort pays better in the long run...
              Lumen works on consoles, so they will need these properties either way. I'm describing steps they need to prepare PC port with superior graphic. They will need just tinker some lumen settings. Switch off some optimization, like ignoring the grass (see Series S vs Series X), increase number of rays, number of reflections, maximum distance of tracing.
              if enough of your target audience is on Lumen-capable hardware, that is.
              Any modern console, except switch, is lumen capable. And switch-next, I presume, will have RT cores too.

Comment

Portal RTX review:

Comment

Working...
                X