RADV Vulkan Driver Making Progress On Portal RTX Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avis View Post
    NVIDIA absolutely loves vendor lock-in (Gsync/DLSS/AI casting features), you can give them that but AMD needs to step up and come up with serious features gamers are looking for. NVIDIA sets the trends, AMD follows.
    NVIDIA provides vendor lock-in
    AMD provides and supports open-standard (including open-source) implementations

Go and buy NVIDIA.
    I stick with AMD

Comment

Sooo, when will Ray tracing be available to normal plebs?

Comment

Originally posted by Grinness View Post

NVIDIA provides vendor lock-in
        AMD provides and supports open-standard (including open-source) implementations

Go and buy NVIDIA.
        I stick with AMD
        The vast majority of people prefer performance and features over something intangible such as "openness". How does AMD's open source [drivers] allow you to tangibly live your life better? Also, telling me what to do means you've failed to address my arguments and instead took offence.

Comment

NVIDIA absolutely loves vendor lock-in (Gsync/DLSS/AI casting features), you can give them that but AMD needs to step up and come up with serious features gamers are looking for. NVIDIA sets the trends, AMD follows.
          AMD has the one feature I'm looking for -- acceptable performance at a price that doesn't break the bank. For $359 you can get an 6700 XT that will play every game well enough at higher settings at 2K or scaled to 4K and satisfy everyone but a gear snob. To get the same performance from NVIDIA you have to step up to a $500 RTX 3070 with less VRAM or kid yourself with a $359 3060 with the same VRAM but worse performance across the board than a 6700 XT or 3070...12GB 3060 vs 12GB 6700 XT vs 8GB 3070...6700 XT is arguably the best one there.

So what if AMD GPUs or lower priced NVIDIA GPUs don't have kickass ray tracing? Neither do the $900-$1500 AMD or NVIDIA GPUs. With all current GPUs, ray tracing is like picking between a baked potato and a twice baked potato...bells and whistles or basic, it's still a baked potato. You can spend low and buy ass or spend a lot and buy halfass. Ray tracing doesn't really have a kickass GPU yet. I wouldn't classify the 4090 as kickass; perhaps three quarters ass at best. Maybe the RTX 5090 or 8900 XTX will be full on kickass for ray tracing...but for regular gaming for under $400 you can get kickass 2K from AMD or kickass 1080p from NVIDIA.

Sadly, NVIDIA's pricing for Ada Lovelace cards is insane, a blatant rip-off, but AMD, instead of offering real competition, decided to join in.
          What's sad about RTX 4080 to 4090 performance for a bit more than an RTX 3080? To me, that makes the 7900 XT and XTX the better value GPUs to buy. Yeah, you can get a 3080 for $100 less than a 7900 XT or $200 less than an XTX, but the AMD cards perform better than the 3080 and just as well as everything better from NVIDIA except the 4090 at a much cheaper cost so they're priced appropriately.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

AMD has the one feature I'm looking for -- acceptable performance at a price that doesn't break the bank. For $359 you can get an 6700 XT that will play every game well enough at higher settings at 2K or scaled to 4K and satisfy everyone but a gear snob. To get the same performance from NVIDIA you have to step up to a $500 RTX 3070 with less VRAM or kid yourself with a $359 3060 with the same VRAM but worse performance across the board than a 6700 XT or 3070...12GB 3060 vs 12GB 6700 XT vs 8GB 3070...6700 XT is arguably the best one there.

So what if AMD GPUs or lower priced NVIDIA GPUs don't have kickass ray tracing? Neither do the $900-$1500 AMD or NVIDIA GPUs. With all current GPUs, ray tracing is like picking between a baked potato and a twice baked potato...bells and whistles or basic, it's still a baked potato. You can spend low and buy ass or spend a lot and buy halfass. Ray tracing doesn't really have a kickass GPU yet. I wouldn't classify the 4090 as kickass; perhaps three quarters ass at best. Maybe the RTX 5090 or 8900 XTX will be full on kickass for ray tracing...but for regular gaming for under $400 you can get kickass 2K from AMD or kickass 1080p from NVIDIA.

What's sad about RTX 4080 to 4090 performance for a bit more than an RTX 3080? To me, that makes the 7900 XT and XTX the better value GPUs to buy. Yeah, you can get a 3080 for $100 less than a 7900 XT or $200 less than an XTX, but the AMD cards perform better than the 3080 and just as well as everything better from NVIDIA except the 4090 at a much cheaper cost so they're priced appropriately.
            AMD's pricing for RDNA 3.0 is atrocious as indicated by multiple reviewers, AMD's own subreddit and multiple forums. The fact that you find solace in 7900 XTX being cheaper at ... $1000 than RTX 4080 which was egregiously overpriced by at least $400 is extremely sad to hear. AMD is not your friend despite many people on these forums thinking so.

And their comparatively "low" prices for RDNA 2.0 cards is just a sign of desperation considering very low RT performance and a lack of distinguishing features.

Comment

The vast majority of people prefer performance and features over something intangible such as "openness". How does AMD's open source [drivers] allow you to tangibly live your life better? Also, telling me what to do means you've failed to address my arguments and instead took offence.
              I use linux :
              * I need open source drivers to be aligned to the overall stack (kernel, Mesa, LLVM, etc) for support and features -- and no infringement on other ppl copyrights
              * I need hardware that allows me to use 3d applications (games and other) with good performance

AMD allows me all the above (think about: amdgpu kernel driver, Mesa, RADV, ROCM ,etc)
              Intel (GPU) does not have the performance
              NVIDIA is not integrated at all with the open-source development process, infringes on kernel copyrights (taints the kernel) and locks you in into proprietary solutions (e.g. CUDA)

I am a very happy penguin user, on AMD hardware (rx 6800, R9 5900x)

Comment

Originally posted by Grinness View Post

I use linux :
                * I need open source drivers to be aligned to the overall stack (kernel, Mesa, LLVM, etc) for support and features -- and no infringement on other ppl copyrights
                * I need hardware that allows me to use 3d applications (games and other) with good performance

AMD allows me all the above (think about: amdgpu kernel driver, Mesa, RADV, ROCM ,etc)
                Intel (GPU) does not have the performance
                NVIDIA is not integrated at all with the open-source development process, infringes on kernel copyrights (taints the kernel) and locks you in into proprietary solutions (e.g. CUDA)

I am a very happy penguin user, on AMD hardware (rx 6800, R9 5900x)
                • How does Linux make your life better? What if you're forced to run Windows 11 starting tomorrow, will your workflow be impeded?
                • How does NVIDIA "not integrated at all with the open-source development process, infringes on kernel copyrights (taints the kernel) and locks you in into proprietary solutions (e.g. CUDA)" makes your life worse?
                • What makes you "a very happy penguin user" considering a huge number of issues Linux users have to live through quite often?
                • OK, NVIDIA doesn't align with your ideals/needs/etc. No one forces you to buy their products. Why all the hate?
                Why are even talking about NVIDIA in a news piece related to AMD? It's not me who started it.
                Last edited by avis; 14 December 2022, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tournev View Post

There is a test of Portal RTX on RX 7900s here (in French) : https://www.comptoir-hardware.com/ar...x.html?start=7
                  Thanks! That's worse than I expected

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                    With the fixes applied the game works for me at arround 8fps on my 6800M. If you see weird graphical errors being up the Remix menu and change from Ultra to High, apparently volumetric lighting isn't working yet
                    Likewise, RX 6600 XT, got new Mesa compiled and it works from Steam for me. Strange glitches with Volumetrics as you say, but easy enough to turn off and everything else seems to work. Using "%command% -novid -windowed" to launch from Steam. I've got TAA-U set to performance and I'm at 1080p, everything on high (though volumetrics off) and I get about 12-15fps though no counter so I can't really see actually fps rate. Harder to judge at 720p but I'd call it playable. 30fps plus maybe?

Addendum: I can't set the portal render depth so it's not possible to see through portals for me. Not sure what that's about.
                    Last edited by gremble; 14 December 2022, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• How does Linux make your life better? What if you're forced to run Windows 11 starting tomorrow, will your workflow be impeded?
                      • How does NVIDIA "not integrated at all with the open-source development process, infringes on kernel copyrights (taints the kernel) and locks you in into proprietary solutions (e.g. CUDA)" makes your life worse?
                      • What makes you "a very happy penguin user" considering a huge number of issues Linux users have to live through quite often?
                      • OK, NVIDIA doesn't align with your ideals/needs/etc. No one forces you to buy their products. Why all the hate?
                      Why are even talking about NVIDIA in a news piece related to AMD? It's not me who started it.
                      What hate?
                      What are you talking about?
                      Are you just 'blowing the pipe' for the sake of it?

Go away and buy nvidia, be happy

Comment

Working...
                      X