Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Avis the new account of Birdie?

Edit: Yea, seems to be Artem.
    Last edited by Alexmitter; 15 December 2022, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
      I don't understand all the hype around RT. When someone says "reflections" I immediately remember water level of HL2 where you had realtime full resolution reflections of everything. In 2004. With Radeon 9600. What the hell have changed that nowadays game devs are not even capable of implementing a mirror without ray tracing?
      1996 Duke Nukem 3D had allready mirrors and that with no GPU acceleration or Raytracing.

​Come get some. Dance baby. It's time to kickass and chew bubblegum ...

Originally posted by avis View Post
      Ray tracing is not about [only] reflections it's about proper physically based lighting which looks a ton better than any faked lighting and then faked lighting is relatively difficult to implement properly, while for RTRT you just enable it and you're done.
      ​I doubt the "looks a ton better​", show any random people a picture from Metro Exodus and ask them if it's ray traced or "fake lighting". No one will know.

And if you only use raytracing with denoiser and upscaler it's pretty strange to call other shortcuts "fake".

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
        I doubt the "looks a ton better​", show any random people a picture from Metro Exodus and ask them if it's ray traced or "fake lighting". No one will know.

And if you only use raytracing with denoiser and upscaler it's pretty strange to call other shortcuts "fake".
        It does look a ton better, sorry for your loss of vision.
        It does make game creation a whole lot faster and cheaper.
        It does make games a whole lot more immersive.

People do praise Quake 2 RTX for RTRT despite 25 year old graphics. RTRT makes the game [a]live.

You must have been among those who opposed programmable shaders, tesselation and Vulkan.

Darn it, I'm out of this Luddite club: "We don't want better graphics because AMD sucks in it".

Comment

It does look a ton better.
          https://i.ytimg.com/vi/RGWNcorgr4o/maxresdefault.jpg if you had seen just one of those pictures I doubt you would have known which is which. Under "a ton better" I understand something oviously at least.
          That's for sure.
          People do praise Quake 2 RTX for RTRT despite 25 year old graphics. RTRT makes the game [a]live.
          People praise and claim all kind of shit on a long day. While Q2RTX definily looks better it's far from immersive. If you compare RT with up to date rasterization the difference is much more subtile (see sample picture above).

You must have been among those who opposed programmable shaders, tesselation and Vulkan.
          Darn it, I'm out of this Luddite club: "We don't want better graphics because AMD sucks in it".
          As long as it makes your life easier, well label me in your tiny boxed universe ...

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

How are the prices for pre-built OEM PCs in the USA?

Here in Europe one can find plenty of good deals with one caveat:

Almost all of them being Intel + nVidia combos;
            as soon as an AMD part is inserted into the equation, the deal becomes worse price-wise.

For example, I bought my PC with a nVidia RTX 3060 Ti for a little bit over 1000 € (including VAT) in the spring of 2022, so pre crypto market crash, when identical GPUs were still selling for well over 500 € a piece.

Therefore, going pre-built OEM was a no-brainer, especially when also wanting a CPU upgrade, too.

Would it be possible to discern how the market situation is right now for you over the Atlantic Ocean?
            I just did a quick check at Newegg: for around $1000 to $1100 you can get an R5 3600X to 5700X CPU paired with a 6600XT, found a deal of a system with a 5600G and a 6700XT for $1150 (16GB DDR4 and a 500GB SSD so it needs some upgrades, but a great Linux starter setup that allows for GPU passthrough), most 6700XT systems start around $1400. For 6800/XT systems start around $1500/1800 and 6900XT systems are $2500+. Didn't see any 7900 PCs. Didn't look that hard, either.

NVIDIA systems are a little different. For around $900 you can get a 3060 or 3060 ti system, $800 refurbished. 3070/3070ti start around $1200/1300 but refurbish units are $900 to $1000. The sheer volume of refurbish NVIDIA units over AMD units would make me hesitant to buy any NVIDIA prebuilt without doing heavy research on the other components since it looks like a lot of cheap, fly-by-night, brands are betting on the NVIDIA name selling their PC. 3080/TI PCs are around the same as 6800/XTs. 3090s are $2000 and up.

With both GPU brands the CPUs alternated between Zen 2 to Zen 4 for AMDs and 10 to 13th Gen Intels. If you add in GPUs crappier than a 3060 or 6600 XT then you can find even earlier generations of CPUs being used...but at that point they're not really gaming PCs unless all you care about is Minecraft for an 8 year old.

So, entry level, you pay a hair more for AMD, they start to even out around midrange, and then at the high end NVIDIA goes back to having an advantage.

Buying off the shelf and building yourself, however, AMD has the advantage over both NVIDIA and Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
              Is Avis the new account of Birdie?

Edit: Yea, seems to be Artem.
              You got a problem with that?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I just did a quick check at Newegg: for around $1000 to $1100 you can get an R5 3600X to 5700X CPU paired with a 6600XT, found a deal of a system with a 5600G and a 6700XT for $1150 (16GB DDR4 and a 500GB SSD so it needs some upgrades, but a great Linux starter setup that allows for GPU passthrough), most 6700XT systems start around $1400. For 6800/XT systems start around $1500/1800 and 6900XT systems are $2500+. Didn't see any 7900 PCs. Didn't look that hard, either.

NVIDIA systems are a little different. For around $900 you can get a 3060 or 3060 ti system, $800 refurbished. 3070/3070ti start around $1200/1300 but refurbish units are $900 to $1000. The sheer volume of refurbish NVIDIA units over AMD units would make me hesitant to buy any NVIDIA prebuilt without doing heavy research on the other components since it looks like a lot of cheap, fly-by-night, brands are betting on the NVIDIA name selling their PC. 3080/TI PCs are around the same as 6800/XTs. 3090s are $2000 and up.

With both GPU brands the CPUs alternated between Zen 2 to Zen 4 for AMDs and 10 to 13th Gen Intels. If you add in GPUs crappier than a 3060 or 6600 XT then you can find even earlier generations of CPUs being used...but at that point they're not really gaming PCs unless all you care about is Minecraft for an 8 year old.

So, entry level, you pay a hair more for AMD, they start to even out around midrange, and then at the high end NVIDIA goes back to having an advantage.

Buying off the shelf and building yourself, however, AMD has the advantage over both NVIDIA and Intel.
                Thanks alot for having taken the time to look around & posting that info here!

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                  https://i.ytimg.com/vi/RGWNcorgr4o/maxresdefault.jpg if you had seen just one of those pictures I doubt you would have known which is which. Under "a ton better" I understand something oviously at least.

That's for sure.

People praise and claim all kind of shit on a long day. While Q2RTX definily looks better it's far from immersive. If you compare RT with up to date rasterization the difference is much more subtile (see sample picture above).

As long as it makes your life easier, well label me in your tiny boxed universe ...
                  At least try to be honest in your comparisons:

Still fail to see any difference?

Comment

You were right all along, Artem:

Unfortunately, there is no cure for them, even when the evidence is right in front of their very own eyes!

It's their collective brains which are non-functional...

Comment

A ton better? In many games, no. In Control, Dying Light 2, Minecraft, Hitman 3 and some remixes, absolutely. I think people haven't really seen where it's done well, so can be forgiven for not noticing or saying 'what's the difference?'. Seeing Portal with RTX with muted metals reflecting the glows of the particles, the ambient light and the items around the room and watching that change as things move around amazes me.

Cheaper game creation? That hasn't really happened. If you want RT you first have to implement for you none RT customers, then add RT. You need a load more assets and a load more work. This aspect has really yet to be proven and I'm not convinced it will ever be the case.

Immersion? Certainly works for me.

I'm not sure AMD sucks at it now with 7000 series, but they certainly still have catching up to do.

Comment

Working...
                      X