Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDVLK 2022.Q3.3 Brings Some Performance Tuning For Linux Gamers

Phoronix: AMDVLK 2022.Q3.3 Brings Some Performance Tuning For Linux Gamers

AMD has published their latest routine snapshot of AMDVLK, their official open-source Radeon Vulkan driver for Linux systems that is derived from their internal cross-platform Vulkan driver sources and is an alternative to the unofficial but popular Mesa Radeon Vulkan "RADV" driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now we just need to get proper anticheat support nailed in

Comment

image.php?id=totalwar-warhammer3-linux&image=tww3_linux_1_med.webp

The thumbnail here really reminds me of the Steam Deck & Nobel Knight Abba clip:

Comment

Is it worth using over RADV yet?

I’m still confused as to why AMD does not move their open source Vulkan support to Mesa’s efforts.

Is it simply because of IP for upcoming. unreleased projects/products?

Seems like a waste to have so many people working on duplicate projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikr1848 View Post
          Is it worth using over RADV yet?

I’m still confused as to why AMD does not move their open source Vulkan support to Mesa’s efforts.

Is it simply because of IP for upcoming. unreleased projects/products?

Seems like a waste to have so many people working on duplicate projects.
          There is not much duplicate effort. AMDVLK is the same driver used for windows. The same team supports both Linux and Windows. We make the driver open source for customers and users those that need it. If we stopped making it available on Linux it would not free up a lot of resources for something else as we still need to deliver windows support.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

There is not much duplicate effort. AMDVLK is the same driver used for windows. The same team supports both Linux and Windows. We make the driver open source for customers and users those that need it. If we stopped making it available on Linux it would not free up a lot of resources for something else as we still need to deliver windows support.
            Gottttt it, I had not seen that clarified anywhere, so it seemed from the surface-level to be simply duplicated efforts: 1x mesa driver, 1x open source AMD driver, and 1x proprietary driver. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikr1848 View Post

Gottttt it, I had not seen that clarified anywhere, so it seemed from the surface-level to be simply duplicated efforts: 1x mesa driver, 1x open source AMD driver, and 1x proprietary driver. Thanks!
              The proprietary driver for Vulkan is the same as the FOSS one minus the compiler I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                We make the driver open source for customers and users those that need it..
                You mean AMD is using the GL and VLK components of the Windows driver and visa versa improving them both on Windows and Linux at same time? The BULK of the Windows driver has got to be all proprietary Microsoft DX stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                  You mean AMD is using the GL and VLK components of the Windows driver and visa versa improving them both on Windows and Linux at same time? The BULK of the Windows driver has got to be all proprietary Microsoft DX stuff...
                  Nope... the bulk of the Windows driver is PAL, just like the bulk of the Linux driver. We have a set of core code that supports multiple APIs and multiple OSes.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Nope... the bulk of the Windows driver is PAL, just like the bulk of the Linux driver. We have a set of core code that supports multiple APIs and multiple OSes.
                    I'm sure you know about AMD's new better performing Windows GL driver. Do you know if it's going to be part of amdgpu-pro, or will it continue to use the old GL driver?

Comment

Working...
                    X