• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venemo
    replied
    Originally posted by ermo View Post
    bridgman

I have a couple of old HD 7970 GPUs that are still perfectly functional, which I use to drive a 2x4K monitor setup (thank you AMD for being forward looking enough to include mDP ports that can drive 4K@60Hz displays on such old hardware).

When I use the amdgpu DRM kernel driver without amdgpu.dc=1, I can maintain 2x4K resolutions perfectly fine.

However, when I use the amdgpu DRM kernel driver with amdgpu.dc=1, I can only maintain 1920x1080p resolutions; anything higher than that and I get weird graphics artefacts where it looks like the whole image has been fed through a scanline filter w/some strange displacement.

This bug happens on multiple distros with identical outcome and happens w/both Wayland and XOrg.

Where and to whom should I report this and what kind of info should I include?

Guidance welcome. =)
    This is the place to report your bug: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd

If things work well without DC, I recommend to simply continue using it without DC.

Leave a comment:

• AHOY
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post
    @Michael: "these X.Org DDX releases are of little value"

That is ridiculous. Just because X is old and boring from your standpoint doesn't mean maintenance releases are of little value. Slanted "journalism".
    Let him shitpost in peace he owns the god damn website.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    AFAIK both xf86-video-amdgpu and xf86-video-modesetting are X drivers, and not required for Wayland, although I think you still need them for XWayland.
    You don't need Xorg DDX drivers for XWayland, perhaps it can be said it acts as its own "driver" (not saying nothing is shared with modesetting DDX, no idea about this).

And the article is wrong, as the xf86-video-amdgpu driver for Xorg is still very recommendable by offering VRR in a stable release, has a more stable hardware cursor and automatically offers GPU upscaling resolutions with amdgpu.dc...

Leave a comment:

• ermo
    replied
    bridgman

I have a couple of old HD 7970 GPUs that are still perfectly functional, which I use to drive a 2x4K monitor setup (thank you AMD for being forward looking enough to include mDP ports that can drive 4K@60Hz displays on such old hardware).

When I use the amdgpu DRM kernel driver without amdgpu.dc=1, I can maintain 2x4K resolutions perfectly fine.

However, when I use the amdgpu DRM kernel driver with amdgpu.dc=1, I can only maintain 1920x1080p resolutions; anything higher than that and I get weird graphics artefacts where it looks like the whole image has been fed through a scanline filter w/some strange displacement.

This bug happens on multiple distros with identical outcome and happens w/both Wayland and XOrg.

Where and to whom should I report this and what kind of info should I include?

Guidance welcome. =)

Leave a comment:

• brad0
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post

That is ridiculous. Just because X is old and boring from your standpoint doesn't mean maintenance releases are of little value. Slanted "journalism".
    What do you expect from Moronix?

Leave a comment:

• -MacNuke-
    replied
    Originally posted by mulenmar View Post
    because SOMEHOW nobody to package a version of Redshift that works for Wayland sessions
    Because these people use gammastep.

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ehansin
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post

AFAIK both xf86-video-amdgpu and xf86-video-modesetting are X drivers, and not required for Wayland, although I think you still need them for XWayland.

The HD 8490 is a pre-GCN part and so you would need to use xf86-video-ati (aka radeon) rather than amdgpu. I'm not sure how far back xf86-video-modesetting support goes, unfortunately, since it relies on functionality from the OpenGL driver for rendering.
    Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• QwertyChouskie
    replied
    These "Nobody uses Xorg anymore" snipes always make me snort, because SOMEHOW nobody to package a version of Redshift that works for Wayland sessions, in even Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. That's a deal breaker for me.

I *can* compile code, and I know there's a version forked to support Wayland, but that doesn't mean the average user *wants* or *cares to know how* to do that.

(I haven't been able to find the GNOME Nightlight in their awful, barebones, wannabe-Mac-but-don't-have-the-chops settings yet, so I might be missing something. A something which, no, is probably not KDE.)

Leave a comment:

• franglais125
    replied

I haven't been able to find the GNOME Nightlight
    Settings > Displays > Night Light

3 clicks

so I might be missing something.
    Yeah.

Leave a comment:

Working...