xf86-video-amdgpu 21.0.0 Released For Radeon Linux Users Still On X.Org

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xf86-video-amdgpu 21.0.0 Released For Radeon Linux Users Still On X.Org

Phoronix: xf86-video-amdgpu 21.0.0 Released For Radeon Linux Users Still On X.Org

For those making use of Radeon graphics on Linux with an X.Org-based environment and not using the generic xf86-video-modesetting DDX but rather than the xf86-video-amdgpu driver, AMD today put out a rare update to that diminishing driver component...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'll be honest, I get so confused by what drivers fit where! I just picked up a Dell OptiPlex with a 7th gen i5 and also a PCIe AMD Radeon HD 8940 graphics card. I'll probably just pull the card (actually have already, but could re-install!) as the Intel iGPU graphics are probably all I need. But I am confused on what Linux drivers support what. And yes, I prefer a Wayland environment, XWayland as needed. Would there be any significant performance benefit running the HD 8940 over the 7th gen i5 iGPU, enough to override on less piece to go bad? At least both and Intel and AMD have good open source support!

Comment

Just checked, OpenSuse 15.3 seems to default to the x.org amdgpu driver on my 4650g if I read the X.org.log correctly... Anyways, great that AMD puts so much effort into Linux.

Btw on my old DELL E4310, Ubuntu 20.04 had the modesetting driver as a default, changing back to intel actually improved "gnome shell performance" in my case...

Comment

Originally posted by drake23 View Post
        Just checked, OpenSuse 15.3 seems to default to the x.org amdgpu driver on my 4650g if I read the X.org.log correctly... Anyways, great that AMD puts so much effort into Linux.

Btw on my old DELL E4310, Ubuntu 20.04 had the modesetting driver as a default, changing back to intel actually improved "gnome shell performance" in my case...
        Yes Tumbleweed also seems to use that driver or is installed on my system anyway.

Comment

These "Nobody uses Xorg anymore" snipes always make me snort, because SOMEHOW nobody to package a version of Redshift that works for Wayland sessions, in even Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. That's a deal breaker for me.

I *can* compile code, and I know there's a version forked to support Wayland, but that doesn't mean the average user *wants* or *cares to know how* to do that.

(I haven't been able to find the GNOME Nightlight in their awful, barebones, wannabe-Mac-but-don't-have-the-chops settings yet, so I might be missing something. A something which, no, is probably not KDE.)

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
            I'll be honest, I get so confused by what drivers fit where! I just picked up a Dell OptiPlex with a 7th gen i5 and also a PCIe AMD Radeon HD 8940 graphics card. I'll probably just pull the card (actually have already, but could re-install!) as the Intel iGPU graphics are probably all I need. But I am confused on what Linux drivers support what. And yes, I prefer a Wayland environment, XWayland as needed. Would there be any significant performance benefit running the HD 8940 over the 7th gen i5 iGPU, enough to override on less piece to go bad? At least both and Intel and AMD have good open source support!
            AFAIK both xf86-video-amdgpu and xf86-video-modesetting are X drivers, and not required for Wayland, although I think you still need them for XWayland.

The HD 8490 is a pre-GCN part and so you would need to use xf86-video-ati (aka radeon) rather than amdgpu. I'm not sure how far back xf86-video-modesetting support goes, unfortunately, since it relies on functionality from the OpenGL driver for rendering.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by mulenmar View Post

I haven't been able to find the GNOME Nightlight
              Settings > Displays > Night Light

3 clicks

so I might be missing something.
              Yeah.

Comment

These "Nobody uses Xorg anymore" snipes always make me snort, because SOMEHOW nobody to package a version of Redshift that works for Wayland sessions, in even Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. That's a deal breaker for me.

I *can* compile code, and I know there's a version forked to support Wayland, but that doesn't mean the average user *wants* or *cares to know how* to do that.

(I haven't been able to find the GNOME Nightlight in their awful, barebones, wannabe-Mac-but-don't-have-the-chops settings yet, so I might be missing something. A something which, no, is probably not KDE.)

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

AFAIK both xf86-video-amdgpu and xf86-video-modesetting are X drivers, and not required for Wayland, although I think you still need them for XWayland.

The HD 8490 is a pre-GCN part and so you would need to use xf86-video-ati (aka radeon) rather than amdgpu. I'm not sure how far back xf86-video-modesetting support goes, unfortunately, since it relies on functionality from the OpenGL driver for rendering.
                  Thank you!

Comment

@Michael: "these X.Org DDX releases are of little value"

That is ridiculous. Just because X is old and boring from your standpoint doesn't mean maintenance releases are of little value. Slanted "journalism".

Comment

Working...
                    X