Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Work-In-Progress RadeonSI+Nine Showing Big Performance Win For Source Engine Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    Unfortunately wrong (good joke, though). Guess which picture is Navi D3D9 and which is DXVK:

They've degraded their D3D9 driver to a pathetic piece of garbage since Navi (Polaris and probably also Vega were still fine).
    I see your GPU speed is 502 MHz vs 1359 MHz. Basically your GPU is idling and that's why you have so much difference. Try to make GPU run at maximum speeds for Mirrors Edge (dunno how it is done in AMD Windows driver).

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
      any plan for dx11 to Gallium or dx12 to Gallium
      Gallium, as a API is basically dead for everything above OpenGL and Nine. There is not really any need anymore. Because, you could see Gallium as a low level API, like Vulkan, but as a intermediate API between the driver and API Translators that were called State Trackers.
      The path was:
      Game -> State Tracker -> Gallium API -> Gallium Driver -> GPU
      Now its:
      Game -> DXVK/VKD3D -> Vulkan -> Vulkan Driver -> GPU

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
        I see your GPU speed is 502 MHz vs 1359 MHz. Basically your GPU is idling and that's why you have so much difference. Try to make GPU run at maximum speeds for Mirrors Edge (dunno how it is done in AMD Windows driver).
        It is CPU bound and higher GPU clocks wouldn't help. See also the stutter in the frame time graph, lots of, if not all Unreal Engine 3 games are borked with Navi D3D9. But who can blame them, just most of the games of that time were UE3 D3D9...
        Of course they also degraded the ability to force MSAA/SGSSAA for such old games with each new driver and hardware...

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
          any plan for dx11 to Gallium or dx12 to Gallium
          There used to be a D3D10 and D3D11 state tracker, but it was unmaintained and incomplete. Mesa's Gallium stack back then (~2013) wasn't able to implement all the features of the DX10/11 API.
          Vulkan can seemingly be mapped to the modern gallium interface now (lavapipe), thanks to NIR, so the same might be possible for D3D12 aswell. Since VKD3D and DXVK are very mature projects at this point, I don't think that anyone would like to do the duplicate effort with there being no guarantees of getting a faster or more compatible implementation. In order for DX11 and DX12 on Gallium to be able to act as a full substitute for DXVK and VKD3D, Zink would also need to be performing very well, because without it you wouldn't be able to target hardware on non-gallium drivers (i.e. NVidia proprietary).

Question for the Mesa gods: Would it theoretically be possible to use the lavapipe frontend together with other gallium drivers like radeonsi, crocus or iris or is it fundamentally limited to use the CPU (via llvmpipe I assume)?

Comment

Unfortunately wrong (good joke, though). Guess which picture is Navi D3D9 and which is DXVK:

They've degraded their D3D9 driver to a pathetic piece of garbage since Navi (Polaris and probably also Vega were still fine).
            Oh no, an old game that was originally intended to be played at 60fps in the first place now barely hits 112fps on these broken Navi D3D9 drivers. This is literally unplayable! Btw, the frametime spikes can be eliminated by using a RTSS to limit FPS.
            Last edited by kiffmet; 23 June 2021, 01:50 PM.

Comment

It is CPU bound and higher GPU clocks wouldn't help. See also the stutter in the frame time graph, lots of, if not all Unreal Engine 3 games are borked with Navi D3D9. But who can blame them, just most of the games of that time were UE3 D3D9...
              Of course they also degraded the ability to force MSAA/SGSSAA for such old games with each new driver and hardware...
              can confirm, when i still used windows i lamented that i actually lost functionality and performance with some AMD upgrades. the windows situation is great if you like to only play the latest games with fancy new features, but often sucks if you actually enjoy classics. linux+wine tends to be less hassle (ty codeweavers and valve)

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post

Oh no, an old game that was originally intended to be played at 60fps in the first place now barely hits 112fps on these broken Navi D3D9 drivers. This is literally unplayable! Btw, the frametime spikes can be eliminated by using a RTSS to limit FPS.
                i guess some people just don't care about efficiency, or APUs featuring navi. i do though.

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
                  Another AMD Windows customer that eats every kind of crap he gets served. Reminds me of some Nvidia Linux users. Mediocrity as a set of mind, this must be true transcendency!

Comment

I've read reports of DX9 being that bad on Navi in Windows. Didn't know it was THAT bad though.

Comment

Originally posted by jojo7887 View Post
                      I've read reports of DX9 being that bad on Navi in Windows. Didn't know it was THAT bad though.
                      Well, I think Source Engine games run as one would expect. That is something, but of course not enough by far. The main issue is stuttering (caused by streaming or other resource management?) in a very large number of titles.
                      It might also be that the D3D11 driver degraded too vs. Polaris, though not as much. Just Cause 3 runs rather poorly as well vs. DXVK on Navi. In my experience it used to run much better with Polaris, though with it you don't get close to being CPU bound in 1440p. But also Days Gone is very poor vs. DXVK in terms of stuttering (both with cached shaders). It's just sad, as is the general AMD Windows driver quality these days (raytracing in some Nvidia sponsored games, I'm really confident that vkd3d-proton + radv will do better...)
                      Last edited by aufkrawall; 23 June 2021, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X