AMD Launches Arcturus As The Instinct MI100, Radeon ROCm 4.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coder View Post
    I didn't say you are not helpful. I meant the post wasn't helpful, given that I asked for details and it provided none.

I'm not claiming to add value. You made a statement that conflicted with my impression, so I was just asking if you had any details to share that might enlighten us. If that earns me a personal attack... well, that's just pure class. Rock on, dude.

As usual, bridgman delivered the goods.
    There is a word for people like you but I won't say it.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      I'm a non gamer desktop user and my main activities are software development and content creation. I'm interested in GPU only for compute acceleration (mainly OpenCL). I don't think I'm alone in this kind of requirement.

I'm actually using an RX 590 and I'm not upgrading to RX 5000/6000 due to lack of OpenCL support.
      Will you ever make a desktop CDNA card in the $200-$400 price range?

Comment

Originally posted by ExaVolt View Post
        I'm a non gamer desktop user and my main activities are software development and content creation. I'm interested in GPU only for compute acceleration (mainly OpenCL). I don't think I'm alone in this kind of requirement.

I'm actually using an RX 590 and I'm not upgrading to RX 5000/6000 due to lack of OpenCL support.
        Will you ever make a desktop CDNA card in the $200-$400 price range?
        I don't think there is much market for a compute-only card in that price range but we are bringing compute software to RX5000/6000. The next Linux driver release includes OpenCL over ROCr as default, and we did a lot of testing/fixing on both OpenCL and OpenCL/ROCR since the last release.
        Test signature

Comment

I don't think there is much market for a compute-only card in that price range but we are bringing compute software to RX5000/6000. The next Linux driver release includes OpenCL over ROCr as default, and we did a lot of testing/fixing on both OpenCL and OpenCL/ROCR since the last release.
          It doesn't have to be a compute only card, just a general purpose card built on CDNA instead of RDNA. Even if RX5000/6000 will have OpenCL, they are still gaming oriented cards, with a lot of silicon of no use for us hobbist content creators. I'm a bit tired to see all the attention given to gamers and super-expensive compute cards, there are no more reasonably priced compute oriented cards... But maybe Intel will give us something.

Comment

NVidia has their $100 compute cards so there is some kind of market. Would I put it past NVidia to be selling below cost as a gateway drug? No. But from a business standpoint, until AMD can fill the current demand there isn't much need to go looking for new segments to get into. My understanding is CDNA1 is a short stepping stone to CDNA2 which I think is where AMD would start to look down market if they do.

Comment

I wouldn't say never when it comes to the value & demand in such low cost cards. I know this will upset many here but Apple just release its M1 chip today and frankly the PC world is going to need something to help keep up with everything embedded in that SoC. One can argue that the software isn't there and that would be true, but when the capability becomes widely available and cheap software catches up.

Which brings up the thought of future processors from AMD with CDNA like hardware built in. I do hope that AMD has plans in this direction because your competition isn't Intel any more but rather the various ARM based solutions out there.

Comment

Does this mean GFX1010 will be supported a littlebit better in ROCm going forward? For things like PyTorch and TensorFlow and such?

B.t.w. especially for the navi10 "blockchain" SKU, better ROCm support would be cool.. As this card might be bought as a compute focused accelerator..
                Last edited by Spacefish; 17 November 2020, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                  There is a word for people like you but I won't say it.
                  Thanks for confirming where we stand.

Honestly, I'm just curious about something: do you ever have disagreements without it being perceived as (or responding with) a personal attack? If not, I'd recommend you try it. It's a useful life skill and a good way to make life more pleasant for all involved. But I don't pretend to know you, so please don't take offense by that or anything else I've said.

With all sincerity: have a good day.

Comment

It doesn't have to be a compute only card, just a general purpose card built on CDNA instead of RDNA. Even if RX5000/6000 will have OpenCL, they are still gaming oriented cards, with a lot of silicon of no use for us hobbist content creators. I'm a bit tired to see all the attention given to gamers and super-expensive compute cards, there are no more reasonably priced compute oriented cards...
                    What is it you want to do, that you're concerned a gaming card won't support? Is it a lot of fp64 that you're after? That's actually why I bought a Radeon VII. I realize that $700 is a bit outside the price range you're saying, but it's honestly quite a bit cheaper than fp64 cards from either Nvidia or AMD usually run.

But maybe Intel will give us something.
                    Intel is headed the wrong way on this. Until Gen11, Intel GPUs were packing fp32:fp64 in the same 2:1 ratio as AMD and Nvidia compute cards. However, starting with Gen11, they significantly dialed it back.

Also, Intel is the king of market segmentation. They know which features will put a product in the server/cloud/HPC market, and exactly what those customers are willing to pay for it. So, barring a move like Nvidia's Titan-series (which still aren't generally regarded as affordable), I don't see them offering compute-oriented products at consumer-friendly prices.

Anyway, if you're not after fp64, then what is it you don't see in consumer GPUs that you need?

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                      NVidia has their $100 compute cards so there is some kind of market.
                      Those are built with normal, gaming-oriented GPUs but lacking any video output connectors. The only benefit they provide is a slightly cheaper price than a fully-functional graphics card, and not on a scale that seems to be the issue, here.

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                      Would I put it past NVidia to be selling below cost as a gateway drug? No.
                      Nvidia is not the type of company to ever sell anything at a loss. But they have taken a hit on margins, by selling Titan cards at prices far below their professional and server-oriented cousins.
                      Last edited by coder; 17 November 2020, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X