AMD Publishes AMDGPU UVD Firmware For Southern Islands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

The radeon kernel driver doesn't have the interfaces required for Vulkan support. Huge deal breaker, no DXVK.... The same hardware on the amdgpu driver works just fine, except then it doesn't support hardware video decode, at least until now that is.... And the biggest problem about that is that AMD released GCN1 and GCN2 hardware for years on several generations of product lines and those products are still being sold as new even still.
    I already understand that and it's why I use the amdgpu driver with my R7 370. I use DXVK and RADV regularly. I was curious what features for GCN 1.0/1.1 are still missing from amdgpu after adding UVD support. UVD hasn't been a big issue for me as I rarely watch videos on my computer. But it will be nice to have the feature.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

As I said, the last GCN2 hardware they released were 5 years ago. You're not going to see hardware that old being sold new unless it's old stock being sold cheaply (it's not old enough to get a "vintage extra" like on chrome tape cassettes or 5.25" floppies). This isn't the 80s when you could keep selling the exact same product like the Commodore 64 or VIC-20 year in and year out.

You've been going on about this for years and it may have been true when you started, but new GCN1 and GCN2 hardware hasn't been sold as new hardware for years.
      You might want to actually look into your presumption, that hardware -is- still being sold new in the box, several generations of that hardware is still being sold new....

Comment

Thanks AMD! Good Job!

So how about that Fluid Motion then, since it works on all GCN based cards and, if I'm not completely mistaken, is part of the UVD?

Oh yeah, never mind: "Exclusively on Cyberlink PowerDVD 14 Build 4412 or later."

Comment

You might want to actually look into your presumption, that hardware -is- still being sold new in the box, several generations of that hardware is still being sold new....
          You may be looking at the question from different perspectives. As far as I know AMD has not sold any hardware older than Polaris for quite a while now, but products from any vendor can stay in the supply chain and be sold as new for a decade or more.

In the past the prices would go down periodically to reflect their declining value, but in the last couple of years I have seen surprisingly high pricing on old stock, presumably generated by scarcity-based pricing algorithms. It's not for me to tell retailers how to do their jobs, but it's probably fair to say that very few people would pay a premium for a 10 year old graphics card no matter how scarce it was at the retail level
          Last edited by bridgman; 30 June 2020, 07:42 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            In the past the prices would go down periodically to reflect their declining value, but in the last couple of years I have seen surprisingly high pricing on old stock,
            I really can unterstand any linux user who ONLY buy used ones on ebay at minium 2-3 years old.
            they now buy AMD Vega64.... and in 1-2 years they start to buy 5700XT
            this also could be the reason why some old hardware go high in the price.
            this saves a linux user many money and for sure he gets a rock solid linux experience.

these people maybe just the smartest customers compared to these people who buy a 5700XT and have to wait 1-2 years until they have bug-free linux desktop experience.

i am on vega64 right now but i read many times for the 5700XT it had many bugs and was not usefull for linux even 1 year after release... then after like 15 month after release the 5700 startet to give good experience to the people.

so yes... i really can uneterstand any linux user who buy years old hardware.,

my 6 vega64 i bought in 2017/2018 at first was not used for desktop instead for mining.

this means it was the same bad desktop experience for like 1-2 years now the card is like 2-3 years old and the destop experience is very good.

why should someone pay full price for this? more likely buy used one on ebay...
            Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

You may be looking at the question from different perspectives. As far as I know AMD has not sold any hardware older than Polaris for quite a while now, but products from any vendor can stay in the supply chain and be sold as new for a decade or more.

In the past the prices would go down periodically to reflect their declining value, but in the last couple of years I have seen surprisingly high pricing on old stock, presumably generated by scarcity-based pricing algorithms. It's not for me to tell retailers how to do their jobs, but it's probably fair to say that very few people would pay a premium for a 10 year old graphics card no matter how scarce it was at the retail level
              I realize full well that AMD doesn't consider end users to be their customers, but it's exactly end users who are using their products. In my humble opinion it doesn't matter at all that it wasn't AMD that directly sold that product to them. You released GCN1 and GCN2 to OEM's and retail channels for years, knowing full well they would end up in end user hands. It doesn't take a genius to figure that they would become as pervasive as they are. Those products were released all the way up to 2016, so I don't see how you guys could ever possibly say you couldn't predict that OEMs and retailers would still be selling stock in 2020, the last of those products weren't released 10 years ago, but in fact less than 5. They were released for years and generation after generation. You can still walk into -BestBuy- and still buy Evergreen class 5550 r600s for crying out loud and those are -older- than 10 years....
              Last edited by duby229; 30 June 2020, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Looks like the most recent GCN 1 release was Radeon 520 in April 2017, and the most recent GCN 2 release was Radeon RX 455 in June 2016. Both were OEM only.

I found a review from May 2019 for a Dell laptop with the first of these, including a comment that the outdated GPU was a "head scratcher". A review from April 2018 of an HP laptop with the second of these noted that the dedicated GPU didn't provide a performance gain over the integrated Intel 620 which was also included.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                  using limited engineering resources on something that doesn't generate any tangible revenue
                  Sane customers still take vendor commitment to prolonged hardware support and promises fulfillment into account during shopping for new hardware. Remember how to long it took for AMD to shake off reputation of vendor who frequently drop GPU support?

So getting GCN1 support into good shape in open source driver is good PR and good advertisement for both of new customers who move from Nvidia to AMD and for current customers who run previous generations of AMD hardware. Both groups will see this as good move and buy/recommend new hardware by AMD with much higher probability.

Comment

I realize full well that AMD doesn't consider end users to be their customers, but it's exactly end users who are using their products. In my humble opinion it doesn't matter at all that it wasn't AMD that directly sold that product to them. You released GCN1 and GCN2 to OEM's and retail channels for years, knowing full well they would end up in end user hands.
                    With respect, you realize something that is not correct. We fully understand that our products go through a multi-level supply chain and that end users are the customers from a *support* perspective, but in terms of getting into the supply chain in the first place the decision-makers are OEMs and AIB partners, even if their desires do not match those of the end user.

I was responding to comments like "AMD is still selling..." which were not correct.

It doesn't take a genius to figure that they would become as pervasive as they are. Those products were released all the way up to 2016, so I don't see how you guys could ever possibly say you couldn't predict that OEMs and retailers would still be selling stock in 2020, the last of those products weren't released 10 years ago, but in fact less than 5. They were released for years and generation after generation. You can still walk into -BestBuy- and still buy Evergreen class 5550 r600s for crying out loud and those are -older- than 10 years....
                    There's a sense of outrage in your post that I don't quite understand. What exactly are you upset about ? I think you are saying the same as me.
                    Last edited by bridgman; 01 July 2020, 12:45 AM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Did it work with radeon kernel driver ? AFAIK that's what we recommend for R7 240.
                      No, it doesn't work.
                      With AMDGPU: hdmi audio is not selectable.
                      With Radeon: sound is choppy and distorted.
                      With Windows 10 (AMD Catalyst): works perfectly.

I should try with Kernel >5.7...

Comment

Working...
                      X