Radeon Software For Linux 20.10 Driver Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Is OpenCL that specific or compute is really niche in Linux ?
    I managed with a lot of pain to install ROCm and to make it work, but there is still some software that fails to work anyway.
    Someone said that the problem that I'm having is because I haven't installed the AMDGPU-PRO.
    Since that problem won't go away, I'm thinking I will need to install it and see if that solves the problem.

But just because I need fully functioning OpenCL, it doesn't mean than I want to get stuck with a 2 years old distro, which means also multiple DE versions old.
    You don't have to install all of the PRO package. The OpenCL part of the PRO drivers can work by itself. You can use that OpenCL part on top of the normal, open amdgpu drivers of your distro.

If you look around, there's guides about which files to extract and copy to get this done manually. There's also probably someone that has created a user package for your distro, so also look around for PPAs and such. On Arch there's "opencl-amd" in the AUR that packages the PRO OpenCL.

Comment

Hi,
      Radeon Software installed on my KDE Neon (ubuntu 18.04 LTS based) ... on my Ryzen 9 3900X / Radeon RX5700XT running Linux 5.6.5.
      Primary tests are better than 19.50 version. Mesa version is updated.
      May be a quick revue could give us few interesting informations

Comment

Any idea when we'll be able to use a dual GPU Radeon w/ 1GPU per VM on the same display?

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
          Or, alternatively: AMDGPU-PRO is a niche driver for very specific tasks and you're better off with the open-source driver, as AMD stated in the past. If you're using *buntu you can just add a PPA with the latest Mesa/kernel and be done with it.
          I think they're still important if, for example, you're running 18.04 - which is still the current LTS - but have a Navi card. You and I might use oibaf in that scenario, but very few "normal" users will.

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post

I think they're still important if, for example, you're running 18.04 - which is still the current LTS - but have a Navi card. You and I might use oibaf in that scenario, but very few "normal" users will.
            "Normal" users suddenly become "hackers" when they have to make changes to Windows, also the bar for a "normal" Ubuntu user is way higher. Most people like taking control of the stuff they own.
            Last edited by angrypie; 18 April 2020, 02:02 PM.

Comment

It's always nice to have multiple options when it comes to drivers. For example, under 18.04.04 HWE with 20.10 I noticed lower idle Watts and temperature (8 watts) than without amdgpupro (30 watts). For a stable gpu accelerated desktop environment, this is equally important with top notch performance. I'm sure they will also release for 20.04, there will be times that we might prefer the vanilla kernel/xorg/mesa and times that we might prefer the amdgpupro drivers for specific needs.

Comment

This release got held up because the corresponding Windows driver was delayed and they share code. The next release should include 20.04 support and should come out closer in time to this release than usual.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  This release got held up because the corresponding Windows driver was delayed and they share code. The next release should include 20.04 support and should come out closer in time to this release than usual.
                  Will the amdgpu-pro version of OpenCL properly recognize the GPU part of Ryzen APU from Raven Ridge? What is surprising is the company has made the pro version of Ryzen APU (Raven Ridge, Picasso and soon Renoir) yet fail to bother including a needed support of OpenCL.
                  The question is why not at least providing amdgpu-pro version of OpenCL for all detected and properly listed AMD hardware until ROCm version reach feature parity and speed? Thanks.

Comment

Just another release that crashing while using 20.10 Pro OpenCL PAL with RX 5700 XT and Blender.
                    Please AMD get a stable Mesa OpenCL implementation!
                    Last edited by Naquatis; 19 April 2020, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                      Will the amdgpu-pro version of OpenCL properly recognize the GPU part of Ryzen APU from Raven Ridge? What is surprising is the company has made the pro version of Ryzen APU (Raven Ridge, Picasso and soon Renoir) yet fail to bother including a needed support of OpenCL. The question is why not at least providing amdgpu-pro version of OpenCL for all detected and properly listed AMD hardware until ROCm version reach feature parity and speed? Thanks.
                      Yes it should... AMDGPU-PRO OpenCL uses the PAL back end which should have been unaffected by the changes required to aligning ROCm APU and dGPU support.

Originally posted by Naquatis View Post
                      Just another release that crashing while using 20.10 Pro OpenCL PAL with RX 5700 XT and Blender.
                      Please AMD get a stable Mesa OpenCL implementation!
                      I'll ask about it - I had heard about some accuracy issues with Navi OpenCL but wasn't aware of any crashing. Does the problem happen even with simple renders on Blender or is there some specific model that triggers the issue ?
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X