Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon RX 5600 XT With New vBIOS Offering Better Linux Performance Following Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gardotd426
    replied
    Why on earth are the memory clocks so low on Linux with these cards? Memory clock is 1750MHz on Windows for the Sapphire Pulse 5600 XT, but only 875 on Linux.

Leave a comment:

• agd5f
    replied
    Fixed.

Leave a comment:

• macexx
    replied
    Thank you, however I cant download it.
    It seems that the permission on the folder/file is off

Leave a comment:

• agd5f
    replied
    You can grab the new smu ucode here:

It will be upstreamed to linux-firmware once it's completed our internal QA cycle. You can run the 19.50 packages or upstream code on the RX 5600 boards. If they have the old vbios, they will work fine. If they have the new vbios you can still use them with the old smc ucode, you'll just get slower performance.

Leave a comment:

• macexx
    replied
    How does one get a hold of the updated SMC? build mesa from developer tree?

Leave a comment:

• JohnSheridan
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Which distro/version are you running ?
    I'm running Debian 10 Buster (stable) 64 bit. It may be a bit too "conservative" as of package versions, but i can change to another distro if it's a problem.

Thankyou

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    The next packaged driver release including 5600XT support should be available in a week or so.

In the meantime, as long as your board does not have the updated VBIOS (which is likely but not definite) then any distro with good Navi10 support should work IIRC.

Which distro/version are you running ?
    Last edited by bridgman; 28 January 2020, 06:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JohnSheridan
    replied
    I'm looking for information on how to make the 5600 card work on Linux.
    The latest driver pack released by AMD is version 19.50 which adds support for RX 5500. The kernel would also require some modifications.
    At moment, running more than a basic console on this card should be simply impossible.
    How can you not only run X but even test games..???
    Infos on how to make those games run on Linux would also be appreciated...
    Thanks for your answer!

Leave a comment:

• JanW
    replied
    Whow, that's a 44% increase in average power consumption for a 5% increase in performance with the new vBIOS. Looks like something is not quite optimized yet.

Leave a comment:

• chithanh
    replied
    So pretty insignificant. Even if we very generously assume +0.5 W per GDDR6 component, that is +3 W for the entire card.

Numbers that I have come across are ~2.5 W per GDDR6 component, independent of capacity. And it makes sense when you think of it, most of the power consumption happens in the physical interface, not in the DRAM cells. This is also what makes HBM much more energy efficient than GDDR5/5X/6.
    Originally posted by atomsymbol
    I don't understand. Do you mean that today on all 5600 XT PCBs there already is the extra wire which is needed to address 12 GB of memory?
    Not sure what wire you are talking about. Care to point it out on the GDDR6 pinout?

Last edited by chithanh; 26 January 2020, 07:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X