AMD Announces Radeon Open Compute ROCm 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    I prefer the Windows way: plug stuff in, detect it, install drivers and make stuff work.
    What you have just described is horrible by comparison.
    Yeah, and my life would be better with $1 million. What's your point? Of course the Windows method is preferred, but that doesn't solve Danny3's problem.

Sometimes situations are crappy and there are no ideal solutions. Idealizing what would make for a preferred option accomplishes nothing, when there is a solution (regardless of how crappy it is). It's not like he's going to have another choice, other than to switch to Windows. But, maybe he can't - we don't know why he's using Linux.

EDIT:
    The main reason I'm saying all of this is because we have no control over how AMD deploys these drivers. It's very much a "take it or leave it" situation. So if you want to use the drivers without doing it their way, you're going to have to work for it. It's crappy, but the only way you can otherwise make a difference is to speak with your wallet.
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 18 November 2019, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Novel idea: Read the release notes before you install: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/re...-pro-lin-19-q4
      I have an Rx 570 so I didn't think I need to install the Radeon Pro driver, just the open source one which is the best in latest kernel, which comes with Kubuntu 19.10.
      Besides having the latest stable kernel available I wanted to have also the latest MESA to play games.
      So I found this page and followed the instructions how to install it:
      https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute...tems-available
      I have read the Supported operating systems part, but I don't follow stupid parts!
      I don't downgrade my daily use operating system to a version from 3 years ago, just because one piece of software is badly designed with artificial limitations!
      Did they explain what Kubuntu 16.04 has and Kubuntu 19.10 doesn't ? No.
      I bet it's nothing missing, it's just an imbecile idea to force a software to not even install because you use a newer version of the operating system.
      Having the proof that I have working ROCm on Kubuntu 19.10 by jumping through all the hoops it makes clear that nothing is missing and this is stupid artificial limitation that just makes our life harder and wastes our time.
      But that's me, I sometimes forget that this is Linux where everything must me 100 times harder and slower than Windows where you can download a sowtfware and install it in seconds with just a few clicks in seconds.
      Last edited by Danny3; 18 November 2019, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
        To be fair, CUDA is just slightly better; its installer won't stop you from continuing, but it's very likely you will have to stop due to incompatibility with newer gcc or newer kernel.
        So I usually stayed with CentOS for GPU computing.
        Another good thing with CUDA is that you can download the huge package and save it on the disk to avoid the long waiting time to download each time you reinstall the OS.
        So with CUDA you can start installing it very fast after installing the OS compared to ROCm where you have to wait to be downloaded again.

If, ROCm is open source, I don't even understand why is not already installed on the OS itself like the other packages. That would be great!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          If, ROCm is open source, I don't even understand why is not already installed on the OS itself like the other packages. That would be great!
          I also don't understand it why it takes distributions so long to pick this up. There were talks about packaging ROCm at least a year ago and we still cannot see the fruits of this, and not all Linux users want to compile it from source (with possible quirks along the way) or use a narrow set of distributions.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            I have an Rx 570 so I didn't think I need to install the Radeon Pro driver, just the open source one which is the best in latest kernel, which comes with Kubuntu 19.10. Besides having the latest stable kernel available I wanted to have also the latest MESA to play games.
            You don't need the Radeon Pro driver just to use an RX570. And if you want the absolute latest Mesa, there are better ways to do that in non-LTS versions of Ubuntu than messing with the Pro driver.

I have read the Supported operating systems part, but I don't follow stupid parts!
            Huh? So you think it's stupid for a piece of software to tell you what OS or kernel versions it supports? Good luck with that attitude...

I don't downgrade my daily use operating system to a version from 3 years ago, just because one piece of software is badly designed with artificial limitations!
            Did they explain what Kubuntu 16.04 has and Kubuntu 19.10 doesn't ? No.
            Actually, they did. It's the kernel version: "Ubuntu 16.04.5(Kernel 4.15) and 18.04.3(Kernel 4.15 and Kernel 4.18)"

I bet it's nothing missing, it's just an imbecile idea to force a software to not even install because you use a newer version of the operating system.
            Having the proof that I have working ROCm on Kubuntu 19.10 by jumping through all the hoops it makes clear that nothing is missing and this is stupid artificial limitation that just makes our life harder and wastes our time.
            AMD doesn't want to officially support non-LTS versions of Ubuntu. The Pro drivers are aimed at enterprise users. If you can hack it and make it work with non-LTS releases, good for you. Don't expect support from AMD when things go awry though.

Comment

I prefer the Windows way: plug stuff in, detect it, install drivers and make stuff work.
              How funny. You're in the wrong forum.

Are you using the wrong Operating System too?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Yeah, and my life would be better with $1 million. What's your point? Of course the Windows method is preferred, but that doesn't solve Danny3's problem.

Sometimes situations are crappy and there are no ideal solutions. Idealizing what would make for a preferred option accomplishes nothing, when there is a solution (regardless of how crappy it is). It's not like he's going to have another choice, other than to switch to Windows. But, maybe he can't - we don't know why he's using Linux.

EDIT:
                The main reason I'm saying all of this is because we have no control over how AMD deploys these drivers. It's very much a "take it or leave it" situation. So if you want to use the drivers without doing it their way, you're going to have to work for it. It's crappy, but the only way you can otherwise make a difference is to speak with your wallet.
                My complaint is exactly about this "take it or leave it" status quo. It's a terrible user experience.
                Originally posted by timofonic View Post

How funny. You're in the wrong forum.

Are you using the wrong Operating System too?
                I don't think so, Arch has been my main work horse for a while now. But I do recognize a good user experience when I see one

Comment

https://github.com/smartbitcoin/MyROCm just published, which have Navi support.
                  I doubt amd will add navi support eventually as rocm is more oriented for data center high performance computing and navi series is consumer grade gaming card.

Comment

In fairness, if the range of supported Windows versions big as the range of Linux distro versions "the Windows way" would probably be worse than the Linux way. It's not an intrinsic advantage of Windows, just the combination of stable driver ABI and much smaller range of OS versions to support.
                    Test signature

Comment

My complaint is exactly about this "take it or leave it" status quo. It's a terrible user experience.
                      Agreed, but since that's what we're stuck with, that's why I gave a suggestion to help alleviate how terrible it is.

Comment

Working...
                      X