No announcement yet.

AMD Opens Up Its Contrast Adaptive Sharpening Under FidelityFX On GPUOpen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could Fluid Motion be next please, or did someone at AMD do something stupid like license it exclusively and indefinitely to some Taiwanese proprietary multimedia software company?

Comment

Originally posted by bpetty View Post

What would make me happy would be to see AMD stop losing the war in regards to Machine Learning. These cards are used for more than just playing games. Ex: Bitcoin is what made the old AMD 6990's disappear off the shelves due to such high demand. Machine Learning frameworks like TensorFlow are the next big thing... but are sadly driving everyone away from AMD due partly to the dominance of CUDA. To the point, it doesn't matter how much AMD open sources if no one uses it.
      I think the tides might be turning a little bit with AMD winning some of the huge contracts. Maybe I'm being a bit optimistic but I think it will take a couple years for us to notice the effects.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
        I think the more interesting Windows driver feature is radeon anti lag. Several testers claim that the perceived latency is clearly reduced. I wonder if those improvements would be possible for radeonsi as well.
        Is a 10-20 ms input lag reduction really that noticeable? I'm genuinely asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Buntolo View Post

According to tests i read it is measurable and perceptible (at least for some people). I think it spares one frame at 60 fps. However, it only works with DirectX 11 and in the case of Navi DirectX 9. So i do not think that we will see this feature anytime soon...

Comment

That's roughly the difference between a 60 Hz (16.7ms) and a 144 Hz (6.9ms) monitor. Yes, that difference in latency is very noticeable. Especially with those lower frame/refresh rates. Of course, if you're already at 144 Hz, it shold be less noticeable because there's only 6.9ms introduced by an additional frame.
            Last edited by juno; 11 July 2019, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Yes, but it's like comparing 192kbps mp3s with 320kbps mp3s; as in you might not notice it unless you're really looking for it or are very sensitive/perceptive to quick-changing and/or minute details.

EDIT: I doubt that I'd notice it on the TV I play games on since 10-20ms is within my TVs input lag range, on a gaming grade monitor, however, it would be more apparent due to the faster timings.
              Last edited by skeevy420; 11 July 2019, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bpetty View Post
                What would make me happy would be to see AMD stop losing the war in regards to Machine Learning. These cards are used for more than just playing games. Ex: Bitcoin is what made the old AMD 6990's disappear off the shelves
                Too late.

I'm pretty sure machine learning is about to move well beyond the realm of GPUs, not unlike how most crypto-coins are now mined on purpose-built ASICs.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
                  That's roughly the difference between a 60 Hz (16.7ms) and a 144 Hz (6.9ms) monitor. Yes, that difference in latency is very noticeable.
                  I think people cannot discern such small latency differences. However, I'd agree that every little bit can potentially add up to a difference that is noticeable.

And high-framerate monitors are about more than just reducing latency.

Comment

Here's the algorithm in action and compared to nVidia's DLSS:

Comment

Ok this made me go a buy a AMD card, been pro nvidia for many years now but as a linux gamer they arent porting any of their new features to linux, but AMD seems keen on getting most features to linux too thats awsome. Now hope its out for linux when I get my 5700 xt.

Comment

Working...
                      X