AMD Opens Up Its Contrast Adaptive Sharpening Under FidelityFX On GPUOpen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Opens Up Its Contrast Adaptive Sharpening Under FidelityFX On GPUOpen

Phoronix: AMD Opens Up Its Contrast Adaptive Sharpening Under FidelityFX On GPUOpen

Following the Radeon RX 5700 series launch, AMD has now open-sourced their Contrast Adaptive Sharpening (CAS) technology under FidelityFX on GPUOpen...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think the more interesting Windows driver feature is radeon anti lag. Several testers claim that the perceived latency is clearly reduced. I wonder if those improvements would be possible for radeonsi as well.

Comment

Personally, I would rather be without all these artificial blurring and sharpening algorithms. They do not add anything to the images beyond distortion.

When looking at their "before" and "after" examples, the "after" shot looks rather unnatural - especially the water.

(Hint: a sharper image is not just more contrasty - it is more detailed!)
      Last edited by Veto; 10 July 2019, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
        Personally, I would rather be without all these artificial blurring and sharpening algorithms. They do not add anything to the images beyond distortion.

When looking at their "before" and "after" examples, the "after" shot looks rather unnatural - especially the water.

Don't like it easier. However. It's still a way to fake a higher quality for owners of cheaper graphic cards.

Comment

Can y'all just be happy that AMD has open sourced yet another one of their technologies that Linux users will be able to benefit from?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            Can y'all just be happy that AMD has open sourced yet another one of their technologies that Linux users will be able to benefit from?
            What would make me happy would be to see AMD stop losing the war in regards to Machine Learning. These cards are used for more than just playing games. Ex: Bitcoin is what made the old AMD 6990's disappear off the shelves due to such high demand. Machine Learning frameworks like TensorFlow are the next big thing... but are sadly driving everyone away from AMD due partly to the dominance of CUDA. To the point, it doesn't matter how much AMD open sources if no one uses it.

Comment

Agreed. I don't like the look of DLSS either but at least that improves framerates so it has a valid purpose. You're sacrificing quality for performance, whether that's worth it depends on the game and your tastes (for me it hasn't been, I've always disabled it so far).

Artificial sharpening in post is just lose/lose IMO. You're defiling the image with fake contrasted edges, if the artists wanted it to look like that they could have just designed the game with a sharpen filter - it's not new tech.

Comment

There is more detail, on the bird. Perhaps you're looking for a dual result of isolated sharpness on central focus and less sharpness on backgrounds.

Comment

In photography and videography it is a common practice to shoot in RAW or flat profiles that have the sharpening dialed down to zero to increase the dynamic range and then add sharpening in post.

Comment

Wow, so many Downers in this thread.. and this tech doesn't really impact performance either according to tests. <=1% framerate performance hit isn't bad. I'm down for this tech! Thanks AMD! I do wish AMD would switch to working on supporting ACO instead of LLVM while we're working on performance boosting tech.

Comment

Working...
                    X