X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AndyChow
    replied
    Originally posted by thebishop View Post
    I really hope we're getting close to a blowout re-introduction of SteamOS. So many improvements have been made at all levels of the Steam for Linux experience, but SteamOS (the publicly available version anyway) has gone stagnant, without integrating most of the recent work.

We're in a window of maybe 6-12 months where a new push for a Steam linux set-top box could be a viable alternative to next-gen consoles. Next year's big games like Cyberpunk 2077 are essentially going to be a next-gen experience on PC. I think Google's Stadia is going to capitalize on their head start to market, and I think Valve also has an opportunity.
    The way the current market is, I think that consoles have their places because they are cheap and have exclusive titles. You pay less for the hardware, but they make revenue from the "DRM" factor (in their minds at least, I doubt it it really affects actual sales). Then you have people that have powerful PCs. There doesn't seem to be much demand for a set-top gaming box which does not have exclusive, and is expensive because it's not sold at a discount (the set-top box makers won't get revenue from games sold).

As for Stadia, according to some "as 4K HDR streaming requires a minimum of 35Mbps to stream, a hour's worth of play will take up more than 15GB of data". For those that have gigabit connections, that won't be an issue. But maintaining low latency on 35Mbps connection for every frame for an hour isn't currently available for most. I bet the lag will be there. Even the Steam Link was criticized for high latency, and that was on a local network.

I just don't see a market for a set-top dedicated box which isn't also used as a pc. I don't really think either SteamOS or Stadia will have much of a future.

Leave a comment:

• thebishop
    replied
    Originally posted by dimko View Post
    shame on AMD. Valve does their job as far as I can judge.
    Whoever is the job, at least AMD isn't standing in the way.

Also, the fact that Valve *can* do it shows why their work on Linux is so important. If Valve built their future ambitions on a Windows base, they would be far more restricted in what aspects of the system stack and the user experience could be directly improved. Making Linux a viable base for high-end gaming paves the way for a ton of exciting innovations in how we game. Google Stadia is already an example of this. I'm also really excited about the potential for handheld systems based on x86 and SteamOS. I think it's a near-guarantee that Valve will eventually launch an end-to-end hardware platform for VR, which would also be extremely difficult to do well relying on Windows.

Leave a comment:

• entropy
    replied
    Originally posted by dimko View Post
    LOL. Wouldn't even be possible for Nvidia hw.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Some results for TW3 here: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/forum/.../post_id=23861

Leave a comment:

• dimko
    replied

Leave a comment:

• thebishop
    replied
    I really hope we're getting close to a blowout re-introduction of SteamOS. So many improvements have been made at all levels of the Steam for Linux experience, but SteamOS (the publicly available version anyway) has gone stagnant, without integrating most of the recent work.

We're in a window of maybe 6-12 months where a new push for a Steam linux set-top box could be a viable alternative to next-gen consoles. Next year's big games like Cyberpunk 2077 are essentially going to be a next-gen experience on PC. I think Google's Stadia is going to capitalize on their head start to market, and I think Valve also has an opportunity. The two services together could push a lot more publishers to view Linux/Vulkan as a first class citizen.

Leave a comment:

• emblemparade
    replied
    Originally posted by puleglot View Post
    I didn't say this is a bad thing. =P
    You didn't say anything about it, leaving room for other friendly commentators to add their own ยข2.

Leave a comment:

• Haxk20
    replied
    Unfinished and most likely totally unstable software. Well now that gets me excited. Here i go testing

Leave a comment:

• puleglot
    replied
    Originally posted by emblemparade View Post

This is not a bad thing!
    I didn't say this is a bad thing. =P

Leave a comment:

• xxmitsu
    replied
    VERY! promising results I would say: https://gist.github.com/pendingchaos...089f29a8c6aa63
    Congrats to everyone involved!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X