X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Veto View Post
    What would you recommend for an Arch newbie: Manjaro or Arch proper?
    Is it stable enough to use for a server also or is it mainly for desktop use due to the rolling distro nature?

Thanks.
    Manjaro. It'll get you comfortable with the Arch tools and upgrade processes while giving you a bit of protection from shooting yourself in the foot.

A lot of people are saying Antergos, but no, ignore them because that's just an easy-mode Arch installer that will leave you with no support. In its current state, it's better for someone with a tiny bit of Arch experience because, if something goes wrong, you don't have the Manjaro community to help you out, the Arch community won't help you (because it isn't Arch and they're assholes), and Antergos doesn't exist anymore.

I'm a bit torn on switching from Manjaro to EndeavourOS when it's released. I like Manjaro, but it can be a little noobish until one removes some of their helpers...but once that's done it's essentially Arch running from the Extra Stable repository and that's a good thing...

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

A RX 460 (can be flashed to a RX 560) goes for around $60 on eBay and handles 1080p pretty nicely; that's probably the lowest-end GPU I'd consider getting today though.
    That's where I bought my 4GB RX 580 for $130...and I'm very happy with my purchase. Actual 580 and not a flashed one. While I'd like an 8GB model, 4GB is just fine for 16:9 1080p with damn-near maxed out settings (21:9 1080p might need the 8GB model since that's close to the same amount of pixels as 2K). I'll have to get an 8GB+ card whenever I upgrade my monitor (it's a TV).

I did get ripped off on a $75 Vega 64 by some Chinese dude pretending to be an Australian...eBay/PayPal refunded me so it's all good. I knew it was too good to be true going in, but with all the consumer protections in place I took the gamble and used the refund money on the 580.

Leave a comment:

• LeJimster
    replied
    Is it stable enough to use for a server also or is it mainly for desktop use due to the rolling distro nature?

Thanks.
    I use vanilla arch as I wanted to learn the process of installing it from scratch, it certainly helped me fix any issues ive run into as I'm more familiar.

For a newbie Manjaro is a good starting point. Like the other guy said, Antergos is excellent (I have it on my parents machine) but they're dropping support for it.

I'm not sure I would use Antergos for server, but its doable of course.

Leave a comment:

• SpyroRyder
    replied

Thanks.
    Antergos tbh. Really it depends on how much of a set up system you want. Pure arch is setup just from the pure cli and it's easy to miss some packages if you don't just blanket install some groups (Gnome Keyring always gets me there because it's not a hard dependency of anything else). Both Antergos and Manjaro provide you with a fully set up GUI Desktop fro mthe get go but Antergos is fully compatible with Arch, requiring just changing a couple of lines in the pacman conf IIRC, vs Manjaro which has all it's own repos and packages.

Edit: I just rememberexd that Antergos shut down. There is a successor called EndeavourOS which is launching soon but until then the slightly older Antergos ISO's will probably still work fine enough to install and jump in
    Last edited by SpyroRyder; 04 July 2019, 07:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Veto
    replied
    Originally posted by LeJimster View Post
    Haha, I hope Valve start putting Arch first ;-). I've been using it for years now, fantastic distro.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• LeJimster
    replied
    Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
    Remember Ubuntu's Drama? Steam have an official AUR ready to test ACO but no PPA at the time of writing
    Haha, I hope Valve start putting Arch first ;-). I've been using it for years now, fantastic distro.

I might have to give this ACO a test, I wonder if AMD will support it going forward if it shows promise or continue on with LLVM. There are so many options with AMD now it's getting a little crazy =D.

Leave a comment:

• davidbepo
    replied
    thanks, really good stuff then

Leave a comment:

• AsuMagic
    replied
    Originally posted by puleglot View Post
    So for SI+ GPUs we now have:
    1. AMD proprietary shader compiler used by proprietary OpenGL driver
    2. AMD proprietary shader compiler used by proprietary Vulkan driver
    3. LLVM-based compiler (modified AMDGPU backend?) used by AMDVLK
    4. LLVM-based compiler (AMDGPU backend) used by radeonsi and RADV
    5. AOC for RADV

UPD: Yes, I know that AOC is for VI+
    You can mostly ignore 1..3, and eventually you will be able to ignore 4.

Leave a comment:

• rabcor
    replied
    Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

A RX 460 (can be flashed to a RX 560) goes for around $60 on eBay and handles 1080p pretty nicely; that's probably the lowest-end GPU I'd consider getting today though.
    That's cool I guess, but I don't have a desktop anymore, and my laptop has a 2060 in it I don't think I'd ever go below 580 to be honest, not unless I was simply incapable of saving up for something better) Actually I like the higher end cards almost exclusively these days, I want the VII, Vega or 2080-Ti ideally, everytime I buy cards I also look at performance, last time I specifically bought a GPU it was a 980-Ti, back when it was on sale when the new 1000 and rx 400 series were released. The 980-Ti was simply the best budget option available at the whooping 50% discount I got it for. And usually at the higher end, amd is simply too far behind with not enough of a price drop to make it worth considering. Reason I wanted the VII was because it was more or less on-par with the 2080 but with a shitload more memory and unlike nvidia's offerings isn't gimped when it comes to cad work. In a sense it's the perfect card for me, but when it was released I didn't have the money to burn to get it.

And now the window has passed, I sold my desktop, got a laptop with similar specs (2060 is more or less like a 980-ti, on paper anyways, and also on paper my laptops cpu is better than what my desktop had, naturally it still all falls a little short, but only a little, worst part is the thermals, cpu running at 95°C sometimes is alarming)

I bought it with the intent of travelling, which I am now doing, and in case I decide to settle down again at some point, it's powerful enough to substitute for a desktop until I can afford to get one. In a way, it might actually be good enough for me for 2-4 years if I stretch it. Saddest bit is that I had some issues with it on linux that forced me to switch to windows (bizarre stuff) it's particularly disappointing since I made a full switch almost a year ago and had no windows anywhere.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by rabcor View Post

Yeah I'd be lapping this up too if I actually had an amd card, but I'm a poorfag couldn't even afford the radeon vii, in fact I don't even have a desktop to put it into anymore, what is going on with my life?!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X