Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Navi Support Makes It Into DRM-Next For Linux 5.3, AMDGPU Hits Two Million Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by chuckula View Post
    So they finally throw some driver code over the wall
    so you have some unconventional definition of throwing over the wall

Leave a comment:

• ernstp
    replied
    Originally posted by chuckula View Post
    So they finally throw some driver code over the wall less than two weeks before the product is supposed to launch?
    Remember when they put DC up for approval? There was a lot of whining and complaining... Not so much this time AFAICT, so must have been a pretty ok job.

Leave a comment:

• ernstp
    replied
    Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

I've been using AMD GPUs on Linux for about 10 years now, quality is not important for AMD at all. I just can''t wait for Intel's dGPUs (i.e I am looking forward to it).
    I've been using AMD GPUs on Linux for about 10 years now so I know for a fact AMD takes quality very seriously! Which other company can fix a bug the next day when you report something?! Which is often the case!

Leave a comment:

• entropy
    replied
    Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

I've been using AMD GPUs on Linux for about 10 years now, quality is not important for AMD at all. I just can''t wait for Intel's dGPUs (i.e I am looking forward to it).
    Can you be a bit more specific on the lacking quality?

If you really think intel will do a better job at graphics - good luck.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by IntrusionCM View Post
    I wish they would finally fix the long standing bugs.

Just an example... Many older chipsets not working properly.

But seems that quality assurance is not important.

Leave a comment:

• IntrusionCM
    replied
    I wish they would finally fix the long standing bugs.

Just an example... Many older chipsets not working properly.

But seems that quality assurance is not important.

Leave a comment:

• ElectricPrism
    replied
    I'm curious theoretically if this code was written in rust how many lines it would be.

Leave a comment:

• ms178
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Can you be more specific ? I thought the Radeon VII launch went pretty well on Linux.
    I was referring not to Linux in particular though Michael had some issue of his own with his sample, but probably from a defective part. But Windows reviewers mentioned the fan speed and temperature, also some quirks with Radeon Settings / Wattman.

But to give you more specifics, a good revisit which focuses on the shortcomings at launch and who was quite surprised that some things are still not fixed four months later: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r60X3XQE7o

Leave a comment:

• schwarzman
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    I'm hoping we can arrange for at least one board partner to start officially supporting Linux or at least testing their boards with Linux... that seems like the best way to close the loop and avoid any accumulation of configuration differences between internal and production HW.
    If you manage to do that please encourage this board partner to make these efforts public somehow. For example Dell was one of the first big vendors supporting LVFS which encouraged me to buy machines from them as LVFS support is pretty convenient.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
    bridgman how is the feeling of the team when a new hardware is launched? Do you guys feel like mission accomplished or afraid that the drivers might not work or something like that?
    There's always some concern about scenarios like RX 590, but in general the comfort level is a function of how much the HW changed relative to previous products. It's probably fair to say that everyone wishes for a couple of extra weeks, despite being able to start months earlier than previous generations. The changes in Navi are pretty significant so "of course I'm being paranoid but am I being sufficiently paranoid ?" is pretty much the order of the day.

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
    For example, the launch of RX 590, which supposedly was working from your side but later the OEM changed some stuff and break the support, I imagine the team was "Wat? How can it not be working? We tested it before committing the code!"
    Yeah, that was not a happy time. The drivers were heavily tested, full QA signoff, with a few layers of developer and integration testing for good measure, and everything looked good until the production boards started arriving.

I'm hoping we can arrange for at least one board partner to start officially supporting Linux or at least testing their boards with Linux... that seems like the best way to close the loop and avoid any accumulation of configuration differences between internal and production HW.
    Last edited by bridgman; 27 June 2019, 03:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X