Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Navi Support Makes It Into DRM-Next For Linux 5.3, AMDGPU Hits Two Million Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by ms178 View Post
    The press was highly critical with the Radeon VII launch so I hope the concerned teams at AMD spent that extra time to polish the user experience a bit better. Let's wait and see for the launch reviews soon.
    Can you be more specific ? I thought the Radeon VII launch went pretty well on Linux.

Leave a comment:

• andrei_me
    replied
    bridgman how is the feeling of the team when a new hardware is launched? Do you guys feel like mission accomplished or afraid that the drivers might not work or something like that?

For example, the launch of RX 590, which supposedly was working from your side but later the OEM changed some stuff and break the support, I imagine the team was "Wat? How can it not be working? We tested it before commiting the code!"

Leave a comment:

• ms178
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Seriously though, we were targeting 5.2 but the last few parts of IP review and approvals took quite a bit longer than expected... which was actually a bit of a surprise because it has been fairly predictable for the last few years.
    The press was highly critical with the Radeon VII launch so I hope the concerned teams at AMD spent that extra time to polish the user experience a bit better. Let's wait and see for the launch reviews soon.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by chuckula View Post
    So they finally throw some driver code over the wall less than two weeks before the product is supposed to launch?
    Yep, although in fairness this is the first time we will have had full pre-launch upstream support for a significantly new GPU architecture.

Not exactly what I call same day support.
    Right. Same day support would be two weeks from now

Seriously though, we were targeting 5.2 but the last few parts of IP review and approvals took quite a bit longer than expected... which was actually a bit of a surprise because it has been fairly predictable for the last few years.

Considering Navi has been delayed from its original launch schedule this support should have been out late last year.
    Not sure what you are talking about here... are you suggesting that development was finished last year and that we've just been sitting on the product waiting for the right trade show to come along ?
    Last edited by bridgman; 27 June 2019, 11:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• chuckula
    replied
    So they finally throw some driver code over the wall less than two weeks before the product is supposed to launch?

Not exactly what I call same day support. Considering Navi has been delayed from its original launch schedule this support should have been out late last year.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by hotaru View Post
    I'm pretty sure whatever was intended there is not what was written.
    Yep files for the second one. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• hotaru
    replied
    That combined 2,038,797 lines is spread currently across 1,179 lines of code.
    I'm pretty sure whatever was intended there is not what was written.

Leave a comment:

• AMD Navi Support Makes It Into DRM-Next For Linux 5.3, AMDGPU Hits Two Million Lines

Phoronix: AMD Navi Support Makes It Into DRM-Next For Linux 5.3, AMDGPU Hits Two Million Lines

With the Linux kernel driver support for the upcoming "Navi" graphics cards only having been sent out last week for AMDGPU/AMDKFD, given it was more than 450 patches and more than 400 thousand lines of code (granted much of that automated header files), there was some risk it could be postponed given the imminent cut-off of new material to DRM-Next for Linux 5.3 given the rigid release cycle. Fortunately, that pull request has been honored...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X