AMD Posts 459 Linux Kernel Patches Providing Navi Support - 412k+ Lines Of Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

Sorry for the off-topic, I remember you were interested in a laptop with an AMD APU.

In the end, I decided to go with a Thinkpad E495 (haven't received mine yet). It's having rather good reviews.
    I really like that laptop..
    One problem in the past with, for example carrizo laptops..were that the Companies limited its TDP to 15 Watts..
    I want a laptop that delivers the maximum, the CPU can do( 35 Watts ), when I need that type of power..

Does you know if this laptop come also, with TDP limited to 15 Watts, or we can decide, and go full speed?
    If that is the case, I would have one,( my pet decided to liberate some "concentrated liquids" above keyboard on my Phenom x3.. )

A intel i7 U processor, never more..I am in the process of return, the one I have, ( they don't have raw power.. )

Comment

"They are aiming to have this Navi 10 code reviewed and prepped for mainlining with the Linux 5.3 kernel" - That is hopeful.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        Not to pull this off topic any more but what the world really needs is a web site that details which Ryzen based laptops are running fine on Linux.
        If you want open source GPU drivers, there are no Ryzen based laptops running fine (in the sense of "not crashing") on Linux. The only reviews I ever saw in the media (like at golem.de) only had horror stories to report about running Ryzen APU based laptops under Linux.

If you want to live with ugly closed source drivers, then there are (less than 10, very similar) ASUS models that combine Ryzen CPUs with nVidia GPUs, like the "ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DD-BQ151".

There seems to be a desire on many to poo poo all over Navi but the way I see it this is a major upgrade.
        Navi, the hardware, will probably be just fine as is Polaris, the hardware. But both suck when their Linux driver crashes your system.
        Last edited by dwagner; 17 June 2019, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
          Not to pull this off topic any more but what the world really needs is a web site that details which Ryzen based laptops are running fine on Linux.
          I would assume most of them are working almost flawlessly, as long as you run the latest kernel ( and maybe some out-of-tree stuff for touchscreen etc ). I've got a Lenovo Flex with a Ryzen 7 2700U. It's limited to 15W, but I'm really happy with it. I've got the latest firmware, which seems to be more aggressive ( CPU speed wise ) than what it came with. I've also got a laptop cooling fan, which I crank up when gaming or compiling or rendering blender stuff or whatever. I think most of the extra wattage for the ones that aren't 15W-limited must go to cooling, and you'd be surprised what difference it makes blasting some air from underneath the laptop can achieve.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

Sorry for the off-topic, I remember you were interested in a laptop with an AMD APU.

In the end, I decided to go with a Thinkpad E495 (haven't received mine yet). It's having rather good reviews.
            I wish you luck ... my Thinkpad A485 has a buggy bios. No opencl support (iommu problems), no sleep support, tsc is broken, etc.

Comment

Lenovo ThinkPad E585 here, AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Radeon Vega Mobile.
              Crashes every other day. It really sucks. Always bought ThinkPads for the Linux support, never again. AMD is out.

Comment

That doesn't sound too good for Ryzen APUs.
                I was actually planning on getting one.
                Pure intel graphics is too slow for my taste and Optimus is a pain.

Have you tried with a rolling distribution that comes with a recent kernel and graphics stack?
                Also, did you issue bug reports.
                If so, were they ignored?

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  bridgman or agd5f (or anyone from AMD) Is there any detailed document showing the differences between VCE 4.1 and VCN 2.0?
                  VCN (Video Core Next), first used on Raven Ridge APU, is basically a merge of VCE (Video Compress Engine) 4.1 and UVD (United Video Decoder) 7.0.

Comment

I am currently running Linux on an E595. I wrote a review of it here: https://forum.level1techs.com/t/leno...d-linux/143923
                    TLDR it is a great laptop and not difficult to run on linux. Using it right now writing this.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Blokdijk View Post
                      Lenovo ThinkPad E585 here, AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Radeon Vega Mobile.
                      Crashes every other day. It really sucks. Always bought ThinkPads for the Linux support, never again. AMD is out.
                      Which distribution do you use prior the crash? I am running Fedora 30 Workstation on HP Envy x360 Ryzen 5 2500U on daily basis along AMD closed source OpenCL (ROCm is too slow and currently unoptimized for mobile APU) for some visual editing (Gimp, Blender and Darktable).

Comment

Working...
                      X