No announcement yet.

AMD Posts 459 Linux Kernel Patches Providing Navi Support - 412k+ Lines Of Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Posts 459 Linux Kernel Patches Providing Navi Support - 412k+ Lines Of Code

Phoronix: AMD Posts 459 Linux Kernel Patches Providing Navi Support - 412k+ Lines Of Code

As we've been expecting, AMD's open-source developers today posted their set of patches enabling Navi (10) support within their AMDGPU DRM kernel driver. Bringing up the Navi support in kernel-space are 459 patches amounting to more than four-hundred thousand lines of code, not counting the work done to LLVM as part of their shader compiler back-end or the yet-to-be-published OpenGL/Vulkan driver patches...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

bridgman or agd5f (or anyone from AMD) Is there any detailed document showing the differences between VCE 4.1 and VCN 2.0?

​​​​​​​What I actually want to know is if VCN 2.0 does finally support 4:4:4 encoding besides standard consumer-grade 4:2:0 chroma subsampling encoding.

Comment

Does Mesa need any special bits to handle Navi? For example for radv?
      Last edited by shmerl; 17 June 2019, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        Does Mesa needs any special bits to handle Navi? For example for radv?
        Sorry for the off-topic, I remember you were interested in a laptop with an AMD APU.

In the end, I decided to go with a Thinkpad E495 (haven't received mine yet). It's having rather good reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          Does Mesa needs any special bits to handle Navi? For example for radv?
          Yes, as said in the article, Mesa patches will come separately.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

Sorry for the off-topic, I remember you were interested in a laptop with an AMD APU.

In the end, I decided to go with a Thinkpad E495 (haven't received mine yet). It's having rather good reviews.
            Not to pull this off topic any more but what the world really needs is a web site that details which Ryzen based laptops are running fine on Linux.

As for this release of software, I'd have to say it is rather impressive for its size and touch many of the components inside the chip. There seems to be a desire on many to poo poo all over Navi but the way I see it this is a major upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

Not to pull this off topic any more but what the world really needs is a web site that details which Ryzen based laptops are running fine on Linux.

As for this release of software, I'd have to say it is rather impressive for its size and touch many of the components inside the chip. There seems to be a desire on many to poo poo all over Navi but the way I see it this is a major upgrade.
              Also, why the hell aren't there higher display res option available?
              It seems like the notebook companies trying hard to not establish Ryzen APUs in the mid-to-high-end range.
              Is this by pressure of intel?
              Shouldn't be a problem to offer that option.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
                Thanks. I'd probably wait until Zen 2 laptops anyway.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    bridgman or agd5f (or anyone from AMD) Is there any detailed document showing the differences between VCE 4.1 and VCN 2.0?

​​​​​​​What I actually want to know is if VCN 2.0 does finally support 4:4:4 encoding besides standard consumer-grade 4:2:0 chroma subsampling encoding.
                    I'm no expert, but I would doubt it. RX 5700 is made for consumers and gamers, and I would think they don't care.

Comment

Working...
                    X