No announcement yet.

RadeonSI Picks Up Primitive Culling With Async Compute For Performance Wins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are companies now running RadeonSI with the Pro cards?

I work for Altair, a big CAE software company. So far, nothing has been on our development/support radar except the "Pro" drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Fodrek View Post
      Many thanks to Marek
      Yep, many thanks indeed

Comment

Originally posted by jjmcwill2003 View Post

I work for Altair, a big CAE software company. So far, nothing has been on our development/support radar except the "Pro" drivers.
        We are still recommending the Pro drivers and that will probably never change... but if it turns out that we can deliver a better Pro solution using the Mesa driver on Linux that is certainly an option.

One of the open questions is how important it is to our customers to have the same driver code running on Linux & Windows though.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by jjmcwill2003 View Post

I think the main think blocking that in the past was lack of compatibility profiles, of which Mesa does support some at this point and with this change, Geometry processing may actually be faster than the Pro driver.

Comment

Originally posted by clapbr View Post

LLVM 8 isn't officially released at least in their official binaries or my distros. Kerberizer llvm-svn repo has arch binaries but they're 2 months old (his pipeline was broken by git migration). I use them and had same prob as guy above. Time to build this monster... https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/tree/release/8.x
            'Guy above' is since 1996 3Dfx/SUN (Yes) with Mesa...;-)
            I'll go with LLVM git (9.0), then. - As always.
            Last edited by nuetzel; 13 February 2019, 02:47 PM. Reason: Added SUN.

Comment

What's the difference with HyperZ ?

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                So does this make OpenGL faster than RADV Vulkan?
                There's not many scenarios where you can compare that...

Edit: DOTA and Talos perhaps
                Last edited by ernstp; 13 February 2019, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Maybe they are already doing it? Who knows...

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

The measurement shows that Nvidia's current algorithm implementing a similar feature is suboptimal. It is unlikely that hardware internals of Nvidia GPUs will prevent them to match Radeon performance.
                    Does their async compute work as well as AMD's now? I know it didn't when that feature first came out. Of course, it sounds like this can still be done without async, just with slightly worse performance.

Also, there is apparently an AMD patent on something similar, though Marek suggested that his code may be different enough to not fall under it. Still something for NVidia to think about, though.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I have a question. Is Vega FE considered a "pro" card in this case?
                      Looking at the code, it just looks for "PRO" anywhere in the cards marketing name.
                      Last edited by smitty3268; 13 February 2019, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X