RadeonSI Picks Up Primitive Culling With Async Compute For Performance Wins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Not seeing much of a difference in gaming tests: https://twitter.com/phoronix/status/1095825661556654080
    Did you test with the kernel from amd-staging-drm-next and LLVM 8.0 from the svn release branch or newer? You need both, otherwise the optimization will be silently disabled.

Run: AMD_DEBUG=info glxgears|grep -e ordered -e scheduled

You should see:
    has_gds_ordered_append = 1
    has_scheduled_fence_dependency = 1

The original Mesa branch broke mplayer and mpv. The latest version is fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post

Did you test with the kernel from amd-staging-drm-next and LLVM 8.0 from the svn release branch or newer? You need both, otherwise the optimization will be silently disabled.

You should see:

I did with the very latest LLVM 8.0 bits but not with amd-staging-drm-next, wasn't aware newer kernel bits were needed so was using Linux 5.0. Looks like I'll re-test in the morning.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
        Could be worse. I read that Pixar's RenderMan would tessellate well below the size of a pixel - until the triangle was too small to influence the color of the pixel.
        A triangle has to intersect at least 1 sample point to be visible. Even with 8x MSAA, if a triangle falls exactly in the empty space between sample points, it's invisible (it doesn't contribute to the color).

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          I did with the very latest LLVM 8.0 bits but not with amd-staging-drm-next, wasn't aware newer kernel bits were needed so was using Linux 5.0. Looks like I'll re-test in the morning.
          Probably best to start by reproducing the Paraview result. That way, you know all the correct bits are in place.

Comment

You should see:

I confirm the mpv bug indeed, and also had has_gds_ordered_append = 1/has_scheduled_fence_dependency = 1 on terminal, but at least in unigine benchmarks I had no difference, gonna test more tomorrow with the newer code.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Looking at the code, it just looks for "PRO" anywhere in the cards marketing name.
              yeah, typical laptops like my Dell:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Saturn XT [FirePro M6100]

So that code path would trigger for this CIK chip,

Comment

Wondering what couple of Radeon Instinct MI60 could do there

Hm, are APUs supported by these patches?
                Last edited by dungeon; 14 February 2019, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Environment variable.
                  Thank you very much

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    Wondering what couple of Radeon Instinct MI60 could do there

Hm, are APUs supported by these patches?
                    Yeah that would be awesome,
                    I think that Marek talked about GCN 1.1 Sea Islands or above..

Kavery APUs have 8 ACEs units I think..?
                    I don't know if they have 2 dma units( for bidireccional usage), but I believe so, has they use System Ram memory, as main memory

Can Someone more Educated, on the matter than me, help on this questions?

Comment

Originally posted by clapbr View Post

I confirm the mpv bug indeed, and also had has_gds_ordered_append = 1/has_scheduled_fence_dependency = 1 on terminal, but at least in unigine benchmarks I had no difference, gonna test more tomorrow with the newer code.
                      Hello clapbr,

have a look, here:

Greetings,
                      Dieter

Comment

Working...
                      X