AMDGPU DC Display Code Ported To GCN 1.0 "Southern Islands" GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Good cause one of the problems with AMD GPU's is how AMD tends to let slightly older hardware be left behind. 5000 and 6000 series cards are still stuck at OpenGL 3.3, while GCN 1.0 cards need you to jump through hoops to enable AMDGPU for Vulkan. This needs attention.
    r600 has OpenGL 4.4 support.
    As for these older GPUs not getting proper support, it's important to keep in mind that AMD (as well as other 3rd parties like Dave Arlie and Valve) didn't really push that hard for the open-source drivers until GCN 1.1 came out. At that time, AMD had a lot of work to do, and even to this day they're still trying to catch up. They're making tremendous progress but their primary objective is to support their newest products first. Considering how old GCN 1.0 is, I think that's pretty great they're given any attention at all.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      As for these older GPUs not getting proper support, it's important to keep in mind that AMD (as well as other 3rd parties like Dave Arlie and Valve) didn't really push that hard for the open-source drivers until GCN 1.1 came out. At that time, AMD had a lot of work to do, and even to this day they're still trying to catch up. They're making tremendous progress but their primary objective is to support their newest products first. Considering how old GCN 1.0 is, I think that's pretty great they're given any attention at all.
      Eh, Dave Airlie was afaik one of the core group that architected KMS. He's been very involved with opensource drivers for entire radeon series afaik at least all the way to ATi days

Comment

True, but only for 5800 / 6900 Series cards. All other cards need fp64 support to reach OpenGL 4.0.
        Soft FP64 patches appeared in March but never got reviewed and thus, went into Master.

Comment

Originally posted by Strunkenbold View Post
          True, but only for 5800 / 6900 Series cards. All other cards need fp64 support to reach OpenGL 4.0.
          Also the VLIW4 APUs (Trinity/Richland) support hardware fp64.

As most applications (especially games) don't actually use fp64. Users can simply override detection. Using that as justification for the "left behind" remark is just FUD.

Comment

its good that they are still working on this, but they shouldn't rush it too much.

eg. amdgpu DC has been enabled for 4xx series, but it does not have feature parity with the old display paths. For me, I cannot get the RX460 working on an ultrawide monitor and it seems that the relevant code hasnt been ported to the new dc layer yet as opposed to a bug. Hopefully it will be working with the next kernel cycle.

Comment

Considering how old GCN 1.0 is, I think that's pretty great they're given any attention at all.
              4 years is old?

Comment

I'm still using r600, but I do realize it's dead. Radeon 6000 series were released in 2010, that's 8 years ago. That's a long time in GPU- years. Time to let them die, or at least give low priority to their support. GCN1.0 was 2012.

AMD doesn't have many resources to spend on this. And I'd rather see new GPUs supported well, rather than old ones.

Good cause one of the problems with AMD GPU's is how AMD tends to let slightly older hardware be left behind. 5000 and 6000 series cards are still stuck at OpenGL 3.3, while GCN 1.0 cards need you to jump through hoops to enable AMDGPU for Vulkan. This needs attention.

Comment

And it's not just gcn 1.0, it's also gcn 1.1
                  i have a hawai r9 290, very capable card not that much slower than an rx 570. But i too have to manually enable amdgpu. None of the distros i have tried like ubuntu, mint, fedora do it by default. It's just been pending for too long to make amdgpu the default for gcn 1.1, most of the hard work is already done too but it frustratingly gets deprioritized and never gets wrapped up.

It also makes people think that linux is needlessly complicated when they have powerful GPUs like R9 390x and they try linux and find out there is no vulkan by default, whereas in windows it just works... I have seen a number of posts in various forums with newbies asking for help on this. It's not a good thing to have to explain to somebody about edit kernel boot parameters to use their GPU properly. Really hope amdgpu can becone the default for gcn 1.1 immediately.
                  Last edited by humbug; 08 October 2018, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
                    4 years is old?
                    I have a Radeon 7850 (which I'm not using) from 2012 and that's GCN so it's been around for at least 6 years, perhaps 7 because I'm fairly sure there were some other GCN card(s) before it. This card was in use up to last month when I replaced the card in the box I gave my nephew with a RX 580 so there's probably quite a few people still using it. Apparently it's fine for Fortnite at 1080p but not 1440p. Can't say for sure, I'm not a 11 year old kid playing Fortnite, but I'm guessing that's accurate.

Comment

For VGA connectors SI and CI can't use DC, so can't enable amdgpu.dc=1 still

Comment

Working...
                      X