Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROCm 1.7.2 Brings Fixes To The Open-Source Radeon Compute Stack

Phoronix: ROCm 1.7.2 Brings Fixes To The Open-Source Radeon Compute Stack

At the end of April, AMD quietly pushed out a new point release to their Radeon Open Compute "ROCm" stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael just a heads up I was using the 1.8.0 beta which is available here: http://repo.radeon.com/rocm/misc/beta_1.8.0/

To use the beta, just grab the appropriate file above, e.g. apt_1.8.0.tar.bz2

$ tar xvf apt_1.8.0.tar.bz2

(update the directory on the next line to where you extracted it to):

$ echo 'deb [arch=amd64] file:/home/yourusername/Downloads/apt_1.8.0/ xenial main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/rocm-beta.list

$ sudo apt update

$ sudo apt upgrade (or if you've never installed ROCm before, sudo apt install rocm-dkms)

More discussion can be found on GitHub: https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/ROCm/issues/399

As of this post, I'm current using --headless support instead with AMD's new Radeon 18.20 Software for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on my RX 480 because ROCm only works with Linux kernel 4.13. The new Radeon software is allowing me to use 18.04 LTS with the 4.15.0-21 kernel. (or any kernel really and still have OpenCL support)

Comment

Are there some instructions what I need to compile and in which order to run this (on Fedora in my case)? There are about ten repositories that need to be compiled to run this and they have some order that I don't see documented anywhere. I hope that at some point this will be packaged in distributions.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
        Michael just a heads up I was using the 1.8.0 beta which is available here: http://repo.radeon.com/rocm/misc/beta_1.8.0/

$ echo 'deb [arch=amd64] file:/home/yourusername/Downloads/apt_1.8.0/ xenial main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/rocm-beta.list

$ sudo apt update

$ sudo apt upgrade (or if you've never installed ROCm before, sudo apt install rocm-dkms)

More discussion can be found on GitHub: https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute/ROCm/issues/399

As of this post, I'm current using --headless support instead with AMD's new Radeon 18.20 Software for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on my RX 480 because ROCm only works with Linux kernel 4.13. The new Radeon software is allowing me to use 18.04 LTS with the 4.15.0-21 kernel. (or any kernel really and still have OpenCL support)
        While cool trick, I recommend instead creating a dedicated directory for this under a directory structure not writable as your regular user to avoid surprises

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
          Are there some instructions what I need to compile and in which order to run this (on Fedora in my case)? There are about ten repositories that need to be compiled to run this and they have some order that I don't see documented anywhere. I hope that at some point this will be packaged in distributions.
          I've been wondering the same thing. How can one install it on anything that isn't *buntu? Are there Gentoo Ebuilds somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

While cool trick, I recommend instead creating a dedicated directory for this under a directory structure not writable as your regular user to avoid surprises
            Yeah I used ~/Downloads for the quick example. I personally use ~/opt for these kinds of things, feels like the right place to put it. Doesn't get muddied up with /opt and is appropriately named and placed. (same goes with ~/bin, I'm not a ~/.local/bin kinda guy)

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

$ sudo apt update

Big thanks for sharing this information! Finally we again have rpm repo for ROCm (was missing in 1.7 release).
              Can you please be a bit more detailed about combination of ROCm + AMDGPU-pro 18.20? I experience weird issues with dkms-built modules (lagging mouse cursor, X hangups) from 18.20 so I actually downgraded just single amdgpu-dkms package to version 18.10 that works fine with Linux kernel 4.13.

But surprisingly with that combo OpenCL is working on ANY recent kernel (I tested 4.15, 4.16) and even Vega10 is supported (!!!), although amdgpu-dkms fails to build kernel modules for 'em. I know that `amdgpu` is mainlined starting from 4.15, but what about other modules? Are they not needed for OpenCL computing?

As I understand ROCm 1.8 beta includes kernel with all modules built-in. But will it work on any other recent kernel >= 4.15?

Comment

Does the last paragraph indicate that OpenCL-computing is being integrated in 4.17? I have been waiting for this since I don’t use *buntu on the desktop and AMD drivers on Linux have gotten so good nowadays. (I know this currently requires AMDGPU-Pro to function properly, just thinking about the timeline in which I can just use the newest kernel without any hickups in computing).

Also, I have been reading this site for a long time and I can’t even imagine the worl Michael is putting in for it, considering to subscribe for lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by uentity View Post

Big thanks for sharing this information! Finally we again have rpm repo for ROCm (was missing in 1.7 release).
                  Can you please be a bit more detailed about combination of ROCm + AMDGPU-pro 18.20? I experience weird issues with dkms-built modules (lagging mouse cursor, X hangups) from 18.20 so I actually downgraded just single amdgpu-dkms package to version 18.10 that works fine with Linux kernel 4.13.

But surprisingly with that combo OpenCL is working on ANY recent kernel (I tested 4.15, 4.16) and even Vega10 is supported (!!!), although amdgpu-dkms fails to build kernel modules for 'em. I know that `amdgpu` is mainlined starting from 4.15, but what about other modules? Are they not needed for OpenCL computing?

As I understand ROCm 1.8 beta includes kernel with all modules built-in. But will it work on any other recent kernel >= 4.15?
                  You're welcome, glad it helped! What you're asking is exactly what I was wondering... see my post in this thread.

Hopefully someone can answer that, because although I'm really happy I can use any kernel now and have OpenCL support, it's bugging me that I don't understand why.

Comment

Originally posted by soulsource View Post

I've been wondering the same thing. How can one install it on anything that isn't *buntu? Are there Gentoo Ebuilds somewhere?
                    Yes: https://bugs.gentoo.org/650804

Comment

Working...
                    X