No announcement yet.

NVIDIA's Binary Driver Doesn't Yet Play Nicely With Linux 4.15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the past Nvidia could get away with being "less than enthusiastic" about Linux. Guess what Nvidia? You've got serious competition now, and they like Linux (unlike you). My guess is that when the new Intel+AMD combos come out, we can put a death clock up for Nvidia. Might take several years, but even so, I think fast enough to be shocking to Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
      I thought Linus doesn't allow breaking of userspace?
      NVIDIA driver isn't userspace. Checkmate atheists.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
        I thought Linus doesn't allow breaking of userspace?
        But the nvidia driver contains a kernel driver.

Comment

The title is wrong. Should be: NVIDIA's Binary Driver Doesn't Yet Play Nicely, period. Serious, it's a nightmare putting these drivers to work. New 340.xx simply doesn't launch nvidia-settings for me and I have to start the installer with this crazy parameter --no-unified-memory, otherwise it won't even install!

The beautiful error that I haven't find a solution yet:
          http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/e57...5vxkuafqzg.jpg

Comment

I love the people pretending that AMD has automagic release day support for all of their cards. It's a lot better than it used to be, but there are still bumps in the road (like the whole thing with DAL/DC).

Comment

That user provided patches for every last time it was required, we should be really grateful.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                This is why AMD is better. It works on any kernel without waiting. (this is only my opinion)
                Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                Not an opinion, it's a fact. Radeon card will "just work" with any new kernel release. I'm loving my rx 480 card, and don't miss my old GTX titan one bit!
                Wasn't the latest vega cards this year not working several kernel releases? Well it could do compute but not display...not exactly my definition of working great :P

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post

I'm using Nvidia 384.98 driver on kernel 4.14 without problems. Gtx 1050 on laptop.

I can play Cs:Go , Bioshock Infinite , Witcher 2 natively and Doom 2016 , Wolfenstein New Order via Wine Staging.

So it could be specific to you.
                  Individual 1: It doesn't work on 4.12.2
                  Individual 2: It works for me on 4.14, must be a problem with you

Do you see the problem here?

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
                    Making sme_active a GPL symbol was incredibly silly. The function literally just reads an integer and returns it as a boolean and it does it inline.

Hmm.. that was part of AMD's Secure Encrypted Virtualization commit. Conspiracy? Probably not.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Individual 1: It doesn't work on 4.12.2
                      Individual 2: It works for me on 4.14, must be a problem with you

Do you see the problem here?
                      You didn't get what he sounds like and intend to imply.

" Nvidia's problem is there all the time , not specific to 4.15. That is why i'm suffering even on 4.12 too. "

Proposal : Use 4.14 instead of it cause it works and that is not an ongoing , continued problem like you meant.

Last edited by Leopard; 21 November 2017, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X