NVIDIA's Binary Driver Doesn't Yet Play Nicely With Linux 4.15

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
    We can only hope that AMD have learned from their DC/DAL fiasco and can provide proper Day One support for future GPUs. Then again, there are ways to make them work properly with the OSS drivers, it's just not particularly user friendly.
    For previous GPUs we had to double-implement the display code each time - DC-based code for AMDGPU-PRO and OEM / embedded customers (using AMDGPU-PRO kernel plus open source userspace), plus a simpler non-DC version for upstream.

Vega10 was the first GPU where we felt that DC was sufficiently close to going upstream that we did not implement a duplicate display code base and instead focused on getting DC upstream more quickly. We did have DC-based code in public repos at launch as you mentioned - the only thing missing was getting DC upstream.

I suppose you could call that a fiasco but we felt it was a reasonable decision given the timing.
    Last edited by bridgman; 11-22-2017, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      This is why AMD is better. It works on any kernel without waiting. (this is only my opinion)

I like, endorse and support your opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

For previous GPUs we had to double-implement the display code each time - DC-based code for AMDGPU-PRO and OEM / embedded customers (using AMDGPU-PRO kernel plus open source userspace), plus a simpler non-DC version for upstream.

Vega10 was the first GPU where we felt that DC was sufficiently close to going upstream that we did not implement a duplicate display code base and instead focused on getting DC upstream more quickly. We did have DC-based code in public repos at launch as you mentioned - the only thing missing was getting DC upstream.

I suppose you could call that a fiasco but we felt it was a reasonable decision given the timing.
        Now comes the second annoying part though which is getting rid of the duplicate drivers so they don't need to be maintained for rest of time

Comment

Well, its nvidia, one of most opensource-hostile companies in the universe.

Comment

Working...
          X