Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA's Binary Driver Doesn't Yet Play Nicely With Linux 4.15

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NVIDIA's Binary Driver Doesn't Yet Play Nicely With Linux 4.15

    Phoronix: NVIDIA's Binary Driver Doesn't Yet Play Nicely With Linux 4.15

    If you are using the NVIDIA proprietary graphics driver and anxious to try out the Linux 4.15 kernel for its many new features/improvements, unfortunately you will need to wait a few days as the current public driver is broken against this latest code...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...5-NVIDIA-No-Go

  • #2
    This is why AMD is better. It works on any kernel without waiting. (this is only my opinion)

    Comment


    • #3
      I doesn't play with 4.12.12 either. Sporadic X11 server hangs (magic SysRq 'sync' 'umount' 'reboot' sequence needed), errors in games like

      [ 639.737134] NVRM: GPU at PCI:0000:01:00: GPU-0a3fe00d-d4cf-7c08-c7a9-99bb6a5222aa
      [ 639.737138] NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:01:00): 13, Graphics Exception on GPC 0: 3D-C MEMLAYOUT Violation. Coordinates: (0x30, 0x0)
      [ 639.737140] NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:01:00): 13, Graphics Exception: ESR 0x500420=0x80000400 0x500434=0x30 0x500438=0x2a00 0x50043c=0x10000
      [ 639.737150] NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:01:00): 13, Graphics Exception on GPC 1: 3D-C MEMLAYOUT Violation. Coordinates: (0x0, 0x0)
      [ 639.737152] NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:01:00): 13, Graphics Exception: ESR 0x508420=0x80000400 0x508434=0x0 0x508438=0x2a00 0x50843c=0x10000
      ..
      Behold the magic of blob.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by reavertm View Post
        I doesn't play with 4.12.12 either. Sporadic X11 server hangs (magic SysRq 'sync' 'umount' 'reboot' sequence needed), errors in games like

        [ 639.737134] NVRM: GPU at PCI:0000:01:00: GPU-0a3fe00d-d4cf-7c08-c7a9-99bb6a5222aa
        [ 639.737138] NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:01:00): 13, Graphics Exception on GPC 0: 3D-C MEMLAYOUT Violation. Coordinates: (0x30, 0x0)
        [ 639.737140] NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:01:00): 13, Graphics Exception: ESR 0x500420=0x80000400 0x500434=0x30 0x500438=0x2a00 0x50043c=0x10000
        [ 639.737150] NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:01:00): 13, Graphics Exception on GPC 1: 3D-C MEMLAYOUT Violation. Coordinates: (0x0, 0x0)
        [ 639.737152] NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:01:00): 13, Graphics Exception: ESR 0x508420=0x80000400 0x508434=0x0 0x508438=0x2a00 0x50843c=0x10000
        ..
        Behold the magic of blob.
        I'm using Nvidia 384.98 driver on kernel 4.14 without problems. Gtx 1050 on laptop.

        I can play Cs:Go , Bioshock Infinite , Witcher 2 natively and Doom 2016 , Wolfenstein New Order via Wine Staging.

        So it could be specific to you.
        Last edited by Leopard; 11-21-2017, 03:02 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Eh, NVIDIA are still better than VMWare.

          Comment


          • #6
            https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...-4-15-staging/

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              This is why AMD is better. It works on any kernel without waiting. (this is only my opinion)
              Not an opinion, it's a fact. Radeon card will "just work" with any new kernel release. I'm loving my rx 480 card, and don't miss my old GTX titan one bit!

              Comment


              • #8
                Making sme_active a GPL symbol was incredibly silly. The function literally just reads an integer and returns it as a boolean and it does it inline.

                https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/9/16/91

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                  Not an opinion, it's a fact. Radeon card will "just work" with any new kernel release. I'm loving my rx 480 card, and don't miss my old GTX titan one bit!
                  When the Radeon drivers perfomes at same level maybe I switch and hybrid graphics are working well with AMD?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I thought Linus doesn't allow breaking of userspace?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X