No announcement yet.

NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 1080 Sounds Great, Can't Wait To Try It On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While only 1 game is out using Vulkan and maybe 90 % of all games (Killing Floor has Nvidia rendering issues) run better with Nvidia the new cards are definitely a nice thing for Linux. I am also interested if HEVC 10 bit will work with VDPAU with those, should be mentioned in the readme...

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 "Pascal" delivers on a slew of new technologies, offers an incredible 2144MHz GPU clock speed, is air-cooled with reportedly only 67C under load
      Please don't spread marketing-bs as long as there are no individual tests.
      The 1080 is not running at 2144 MHz, but 1607 base up to max. 1733 at the highest boost level. One, selected and overclocked sample did run that clock on a non-demanding scenario. Clocks might drop hard in real-life scenarios and temperature as well as power consumption rise high. We have no infos about this run. Fans might as well have been running at 100%.
      I'm not saying it's like this, but we have no evidence of the opposite as well. Just stay critical with marketing infos, as long as you are not a Nvidia-employee.

About the "slew of new technologies", there is also nothing I can tell from the presentation. There are some improvements, sure, but these are evolutionary, not revolutionary.

The part that you should have mentioned, imho, is that their VR playground was said to be released open source. That might be Jensen talking bs (as usual), meaning available source but not under an OS license, but might also be the reaction to GPUOpen or even the start of a new era for Nvidia...

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
        I'm not saying it's like this, but we have no evidence of the opposite as well. Just stay critical with marketing infos, as long as you are not a Nvidia-employee.
        But, but, they might send him free sample!

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
          Is the human eye even able to perceive the difference between 16.7 million colors and 1e9 colors on the same display assuming neither color range is HDR?
          Yes, If you are displaying smooth gradients (on a large enough scale) its not that hard to spot the difference. I don't think you will be able to see the difference when displaying photos, however.

Comment

Originally posted by GreekGeek View Post
            Linux
            linux means mesa, is it supported by nouveau already?
            599 USD
            Bye, bye 390x ;-)
            390x was released year ago for $430
            why not bye, bye 4650 ?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
              Polaris cards will be targeted to cheaper markets than Pascal
              every customer will be targeted to cheaper markets than pascal, so nothing wrong with that

Comment

My setup only works in HDMI 1.4b mode @ 30Hz
                hdmi is consumer electronics standard for watching movies, 30hz is good enough. computer video standard is displayport. i'm pretty sure your card has displayport 1.2. weren't you smart enough to buy screen with displayport input?
                Last edited by pal666; 07 May 2016, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  mobile brings in more money than both.
                  mobile also loses more than both. most mobile developers are losing money, it is just so many of them

Comment

Is the human eye even able to perceive the difference between 16.7 million colors and 1e9 colors on the same display assuming neither color range is HDR?
                    yes, you can see it in gradients. but amd said monitors with wider range will be out this year.
                    Does 10 bit matter if 8-bit RGB value (255,255,255) just emits the exact same amount of light as 10-bit RGB value (1023,1023,1023)?
                    but not the same as 1022,1022,1022

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post

lol, yeah sure.
                      It's already starting. The Division ring any bells? And plenty of games like it. I'm not going to say that the AMD cards are going to be more powerful (the 1080 is a fucking beast), but the AMD cards will be cheaper and perform just as well (if not better) because of this. Also, probably less bugs.

Comment

Working...
                      X