NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 1080 Sounds Great, Can't Wait To Try It On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Looks like there's a Vulkan version of Doom. I wonder if we'll ever see the game on Linux.
    Yes they are releasing the Vulkan version of Doom 2016 via a post-launch patch. I guess even if it does not come to linux this is a good thing for the Vulkan ecosystem.

id Software came to Nvidia's event to show off Doom running on a GTX 1080. They've also been working with Nvidia to get Vulkan support working, which is what...

Comment

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post
      I don't know why people are so up in arms about this. Most AAA games targeting Linux are targeting the Nvidia proprietary drivers. When this changes, I'm sure a lot more people will care about open source drivers outside of the evangelist community. AMD could have hired a handful of engineers to interface with the open source folks and deliver a superior driver to the closed source Nvidia driver as of a year or two ago and have an amazing Wayland driver today. I'll start taking them seriously when they start taking us seriously.

They are releasing this now with DDR5 instead of HBM BECAUSE they have the jump on team red. People are going to happily pay these prices until a compelling alternative is on the market. They talked about how many billions they are selling this for to justify the probably significant margins on this thing. If team read releases a competing product at a lower price point, the price will drop (like it always does) but they will have already sold thousands of these. They have already announced the compute card with HBM, so I'm sure they have a consumer variant they are holding back until they see how much hardware they need to unleash to compete with whatever team red drops later this year.

Also the overclock in the numbers is reasonable given that there are ALWAYS enthusiast cards released with cooling superior to the reference design and a factory overclock. Given the history of this I would safely bet that you'll be able to spend an extra $20 for one of these cards within a few months. Most people still aren't running a high enough resolution for the clock difference to be noticeable anyway. Also I'm sure they will drop a 1060 as soon as team read actually produces a card in the $200-250 price point.
      I, uh, just don't know where to start...
      No, I know!
      How 'bout AMD has been paying engineers to work on the open source driver for years! Seriously, probably getting damn close to a decade at this point.
      Building a graphics driver is, however, very time consuming.

Comment

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post
        I don't know why people are so up in arms about this.

Most AAA games targeting Linux are targeting the Nvidia proprietary drivers.

When this changes, I'm sure a lot more people will care about open source drivers outside of the evangelist community.

AMD could have hired a handful of engineers to interface with the open source folks and deliver a superior driver to the closed source Nvidia driver as of a year or two ago and have an amazing Wayland driver today.

I'll start taking them seriously when they start taking us seriously.
        For now most AAA ports use opengl and amd needs more work reduce opengl performance gap compared with nvidia

Yeah amd could be seriously hired more engenieers and accelerate things*, new catalyst on windows use qt for interface and when appears crimson on linux dont show this new control center

*And more now with boost in nasdaq (chinese goverment contract for around 300 million of dolars) since some weeks ago

Respect wayland in this point dont have importance because wayland needs complete support for existent apps in all desktop managers used today

When most apps used (many of them works on X) and works without problems (compatibility, graphical bugs, performance and other things) could be important

Maybe when appears next LTS (Ubuntu 18.04) wayland stay in better position than actually

Back to theme as other said for now only left wait until amd shows new gpus and information related with this case: performance, power draw and other things

Last edited by pinguinpc; 08 May 2016, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          For full hd the card is overkill...
          So you mean the GTX 1080 is overkill for 1080p?

Comment

@atomsymbol

It is not about a 10 bit display but the codec itself which is used by 4k TV stations too.

@GreatEmerald

Full HD is 1080p. For this res you usually don't need a 699 $ card...
            Last edited by Kano; 08 May 2016, 07:19 AM.

Comment

First of all for as free software users Nvidia is not an option. If I could except closed core code, I would use Windowz.

Second Amd should release a strong 14nm Apu, like 3 heavy core Cpu at 2.8-9Ghz with low lithography that will not be able to go any higher, but just 6 watts per core. Gpu 3TFlops with like 6 watts per TFlop at the same low 800Mhz lithography. 16GB HMB2 at 128-256GB/s plus north and south bridge. All that at lower than 40 watts in good price (like 200 bucks). No motherboard needed, cords with clothes pin like connection on the Apu cartridge metal ends, for usb, hdmi, power, are ok).

Then I believe there is no chance for Intel or Nvidia.
              Last edited by artivision; 08 May 2016, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
                First of all for as free software users Nvidia is not an option. If I could except closed core code, I would use Windowz.

Second Amd should release a strong 14nm Apu, like 3 heavy core Cpu at 2.8-9Ghz with low lithography that will not be able to go any higher, but just 6 watts per core. Gpu 3TFlops with like 6 watts per TFlop at the same low 800Mhz lithography. 16GB HMB2 at 128-256GB/s plus north and south bridge. All that at lower than 40 watts in good price (like 200 bucks). No motherboard needed, cords with clothes pin like connection on the Apu cartridge metal ends, for usb, hdmi, power, are ok).

Then I believe there is no chance for Intel or Nvidia.
                This is common knowledge: if you use nvidia propietary drivers is used, open source drivers is not option with nvidia

Respect cpus amd not have any chance* if zen have haswell ipc per core then intel shows cannonlake (cannonlake could have around 20 to 30% about more ipc compared with haswell)

*Is more realistic compete with nvidia than intel: intel is huge monster (around 50 more money than amd), them have practically unlimited resources

All of this depend of ipc per core of zen, if zen have ipc of haswell then cannonlake shows big improvement but if zen have lower ipc than haswell and then intel only shows minimum improve

Zen maybe shows in lastest part of 2016 for have more information and cannonlake appears around 1st quarter or 2017 with 10nm

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post

Zen maybe shows in lastest part of 2016 for have more information and cannonlake appears around 1st quarter or 2017 with 10nm
                  Isn't Cannonlake delayed until end of 2017/beginning of 2018? (Not trying to flame here, just thought so...)

Comment

Originally posted by vein View Post

Isn't Cannonlake delayed until end of 2017/beginning of 2018? (Not trying to flame here, just thought so...)

For now this depend how much performance have zen if is low, intel delay cannonlake

But if zen have same ipc of haswell then cannonlake appears

Resume if amd dont put competitive product in market, intel dont have any need of put better cpu in market

Last edited by pinguinpc; 08 May 2016, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      Full HD is 1080p. For this res you usually don't need a 699 $ card...
                      I'm just poking fun at the name of the card

Comment

Working...
                      X