No announcement yet.

NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 1080 Sounds Great, Can't Wait To Try It On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game devs make more money from consoles than PCs. All next-gen consoles run AMD. Ergo --> Most future games will be optimized for AMD graphics.

Whatever gen comes after Polaris (since Polaris is the low-power/low-end) Is going to be, at a minimum, a safer pick than the 1080 for games running well. Whether or not it's better than the 1080 is second hand.

Comment

Will probably get one, for some reason when computer hardware gets to Australia the price ends up being double RRP in USD instead of the typical 30% increase due to currency difference. Might need to get one imported from Amazon. Need more power to drive my 4k setup, and this 390x under Linux is driving me mad! if AMD ever figure out howto build drivers for Linux then I might switch back but so far its been hell!

PS. What the hell is Founders Edition? that come bundled with some extras?
      Last edited by theriddick; 07 May 2016, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
        What I find interesting is that this actually consumes more power than the previous generation, GTX 980. (165W -> 180W). I kinda had hoped that they were going to the opposite direction.
        if the 1080 is almost twice as fast as a 980, a 10% power increase is awfully good.

I look forward to a comparison with whatever AMD does.

Comment

Hi Yall & theriddick,

the "founders edition," is supposed to be OverClock Friendly. While I am inclined to agree that it will be OC OK, it is no so $$$$ OK.... ;-)

Like you, I am doing 4K on a 390x & it is a chore. "Apparently" the "new and improved" drivers "coming real soon now," will fix MST issues in 4K. But, the marketing droids @ ATI/AMD have cried wolf too often. My setup only works in HDMI 1.4b mode @ 30Hz, in Tux. :-/
          GreekGeek

Comment

Originally posted by GreekGeek View Post
            Hi Yall & theriddick,
            I assume you mean 4k in Windows? I run a korean 49" 4k monitor at 60hz no issues via DisplayPort (from cablechick with High Bandwidth 2 support), don't use HDMI for 4k, ever!

Anyway was going to say 4k gaming Under Linux with a AMD card is just not viable, it was however when I had my 980GTX which gave me solid 50-80fps at 4k with high settings in Warthunder (a older but decent looking game!). My 390x gives me 20-30fps at LOW settings in 4k with this game with graphics glitches and the need to manual compile MESA to get it working! YAY

PS. I will miss freesync, but it wasn't being used that often anyway since it disables on my screen below 33fps (I hacked my monitor to go that low, normally its min 45fps for freesync).

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
              Game devs make more money from consoles than PCs. All next-gen consoles run AMD. Ergo --> Most future games will be optimized for AMD graphics.
              I just read a report this week that said PC gaming brings in more money than consoles, and mobile brings in more money than both.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

I just read a report this week that said PC gaming brings in more money than consoles, and mobile brings in more money than both.
                If you take the platform as a whole, yes. But if you look at the revenue by platform of many Tripple-A games by themselves, console sales outclass PC sales by usually somewhere in the range of 10-20%, which is a lot of money.

Comment

Whatever gen comes after Polaris (since Polaris is the low-power/low-end) Is going to be, at a minimum, a safer pick than the 1080 for games running well. Whether or not it's better than the 1080 is second hand.
                  Most consoles have been using AMD GPUs for years.

Comment

lol, yeah sure.

Comment

Then why is it that pretty much every single AAA game released last year actively crippled AMD cards (and even older Nvidia GPUs) by using Gameworks?

Anyway, can't wait for Polaris. Especially interested in which of the numerous rumors turns out to be true - some say Polaris 10 will target R9 390X/GTX 980 performance at best, others say it'll slightly beat out the 980 Ti (~GTX 1070)... anyway, we're in for a huge leap in perf/Watt and perf/€.

Comment

Working...
                      X