Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

or ubuntu

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    Just switch to Arch. No more hassle installing the newest driver.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/nvidia-beta
    or ubuntu...

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
      or ubuntu...
      Or that. Seriously who installs stuff manually these days?

Comment

Or that. Seriously who installs stuff manually these days?
        Fedora 21 beta+, its Linux 3.17 doesn't work with the NVIDIA driver shipped by rpmfusion, so I have to install this one. Nouveau sucks.

Comment

or ubuntu...
          I'm not sure about Ubuntu, but on Debian sid(uction), I have to restart manually after upgrading the nvidia module (not sure if just restarting X would do the trick). Also, Ubuntu was still shipping 331.xx the last time I checked. I don't think they care about the desktop anymore...

Comment

you simply add xorg edgers

Originally posted by DanL View Post
            I'm not sure about Ubuntu, but on Debian sid(uction), I have to restart manually after upgrading the nvidia module (not sure if just restarting X would do the trick). Also, Ubuntu was still shipping 331.xx the last time I checked. I don't think they care about the desktop anymore...
            you simply add xorg edgers ppa and install from there, or download the deb files from there, i never had problems

Comment

you simply add xorg edgers ppa and install from there, or download the deb files from there, i never had problems
              I always had problems. PPA's are a mess. EVERYONE: Use archlinux already, and stop complaining.

Its a shame that Ubuntu has so many outdated packages, hell, even Debian is more modern nowadays, so what was again the idea behind Ubuntu? Ah, close everything done.

https://packages.debian.org/de/sid/nvidia-glx , 340 vs 331
              Last edited by gotwig; 13 November 2014, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gotwig View Post
                I always had problems. PPA's are a mess.
                That's an overbroad generalization. Not all PPAs are alike. I've been using the Xorg Edgers PPA for years and it's never been the source of problems.

Comment

Telling people to switch to Arch to solve their problems is frankly very contradictory.

Anyway, I?m glad they thought of "--use-gtk2 to force the use of the GTK+ 2 UI library."? Too bad the .desktop file will have to be manually patched after each update, not worth it? An env var would be more useful.

Comment

updated and if there's anyone wondering if nvenc is leveraged by steam client while in-home streaming, the answer is NO, it's still not accelerated

Comment

Just switch to Arch. No more hassle installing the newest driver.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/nvidia-beta
                      Originally posted by gotwig View Post
                      PPA's are a mess. EVERYONE: Use archlinux already, and stop complaining.
                      While I'm completely in favor of people endorsing my packages, I gotta say: switching to Arch... that's when the hassles begin.

Arch is a distribution that you build from scratch. Even after the Live media installation you only get the console. This is a distribution that requires a vast amount of knowledge just to set up. It's always a profitable quality in life to be willing to learn new things, but please don't assume making the switch I did from Ubuntu to Arch will make your life more "hassle-free".

*laughs* Like hell it will.

Comment

Working...
                      X