X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auzy
    replied
    Originally posted by Auzy View Post
    It's Q1 2015, and still no Wayland support? We know that Linux is going to rely on Wayland in the near future, so why is it taking so long? Is VP8 VDPAU support and faster compilation of drivers really more important at this time?

If support isn't available before distro's start integrating it, I guess I'll be selling my GTX670 and switching to AMD.
    Actually, just saw NVIDIA's roadmap. seems like this actually really might be happening quite soon.

Leave a comment:

• Auzy
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: NVIDIA 346.16 Beta Adds VP8 Decoding, NVENC, GTK3 & Much More

NVIDIA just introduced the 346.xx Linux graphics driver series with the introduction of the 346.16 beta driver, and it's a big freaking update! New features for users of the proprietary NVIDIA Linux graphics driver!..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTgzODU
    It's Q1 2015, and still no Wayland support? We know that Linux is going to rely on Wayland in the near future, so why is it taking so long? Is VP8 VDPAU support and faster compilation of drivers really more important at this time?

If support isn't available before distro's start integrating it, I guess I'll be selling my GTX670 and switching to AMD.
    Last edited by Auzy; 07 March 2015, 07:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Brainiarc7
    replied
    Originally posted by minhluan1590 View Post
    This topic said that I can use VP8 hardware decode with VDPAU in the lastest Maxwell. Does it mean that GTX 980 is now supporting VP8 hardware decode? Any place to get started? Thanks a lot.
    Any application that supports VDPAU will have VP8 H/W acceleration enabled out of the box, you won't need to tweak anything ;-)

Relax. Install the driver and the rest is sorted.

Leave a comment:

• minhluan1590
    replied
    How can I use the VP8 hardware decode

This topic said that I can use VP8 hardware decode with VDPAU in the lastest Maxwell. Does it mean that GTX 980 is now supporting VP8 hardware decode? Any place to get started? Thanks a lot.

Leave a comment:

• Brainiarc7
    replied
    Yes! You can use NVENC with this driver!

Guys, check this out.

See this FFmpeg build here:

This is a build of FFmpeg that supports NVIDIA's NVENC SIP block for H.264 H/W accelerated video encodes. - Brainiarc7/ffmpeg_libnvenc

And follow instructions to get it working with NVIDIA NVENC.

Leave a comment:

• steveriley
    replied
    Anyone else seeing a problem where the driver thinks you have multiple monitors when you actually don't?

My ThinkPad T520 has a GF119M (Quadro NVS 4200M) chip. I've disabled the Intel graphics in the firmware and use only the NVIDIA. The laptop has a VGA port and a Displayport, neither of which is connected to anything -- I'm using only the built-in 1920x1080 LCD panel.

When I boot with the 346 driver from the Xorg Edgers PPA, the driver thinks that a monitor is attached to the VGA port and creates an X screen 3840 pixels wide (2 x 1920). This, of course, is obviously unusable, since my LCD now displays only half the "screen." Relevant lines from Xorg.0.log:
    Code:
    (--) NVIDIA(0): Lenovo Group Limited (CRT-0) (connected)
    (--) NVIDIA(0): Lenovo Group Limited (DFP-0) (boot, connected)

(II) NVIDIA(0): "DFP-0:nvidia-auto-select,CRT-0:nvidia-auto-select"
    (II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 3840 x 1080

(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "DFP-0:nvidia-auto-select,CRT-0:nvidia-auto-select"
    I reverted to the 343 driver, which properly detects that nothing's connected to the VGA port:
    Code:
    (--) NVIDIA(0): CRT-0
    (--) NVIDIA(0): Lenovo Group Limited (DFP-0) (boot, connected)

(II) NVIDIA(0): "DFP-0:nvidia-auto-select"
    (II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 1920 x 1080

(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "DFP-0:nvidia-auto-select"
    I tried forcing only the metamode for DFP-0 (the LCD panel) but that didn't work. I might have been doing that wrong, though. For now, I'm sticking with 343.

(More detail with screenshots, if you're interested)

Leave a comment:

• stqn
    replied
    Originally posted by Max Payne View Post
    CSGO is filled with tearing and overall the game doesn't "flow" as good as it does on windows, at least not good enough for competitive play.
    On my GTX 660, Compton gets rid of the tearing everywhere very nicely.
    Code:
    compton --vsync opengl-swc --paint-on-overlay --backend glx --glx-no-stencil
    I haven?t tried CS:GO but I doubt it would be any different.

Leave a comment:

• jmcharron
    replied
    Originally posted by Max Payne View Post
    Another crappy driver that doesn't fix any major issue, enabling SLI still leads to a crash while booting fedora 20(I've tried other distros in the past the problem is common to all), at least on my setup(2*gtx760).

CSGO is filled with tearing and overall the game doesn't "flow" as good as it does on windows, at least not good enough for competitive play.
    I don't know if you know but SLI on Linux has been a complete mess. I had two 465gtxs awhile back and if I remember right, I got marginal to no performance gains on some of the unigine benchmarks. I had two 8800gtxs (before they cooked themselves to death) and they gave a marginal boost while playing WoW in Wine. Even in Windows, only a handful of games can truly leverage SLI.

GL

Leave a comment:

• ArchLinux
    replied
    Originally posted by Veske View Post
    So if a person does not care how a coputer works he or she should just buy a mac or windows PC? That has got the be the stupidest thing I have seen. Please stop this 4chan.org/g/ trash posting.
    That's not quite what he's saying. He thinks Arch is the best distribution in the whole world, and believes everybody is better off using it, or one of its spin-offs.

Originally posted by gotwig View Post
    Than stop using Linux completly if you dont want to know what your programs actually do And there are Arch spins for "Newcomers". At least I heard so.
    It's hard to believe this was directed at me, but like I told you in that short post, I'm the person who maintains that advertised nvidia-beta package, so If I was to not "want to know" the correlation between the components and the packaging process, which I supposedly created myself, we're in really bad shape over here at Arch. It's the very reason I've been able to become the maintainer of such important packages (Google Earth, Google Chromes, Nvidias (beta), JRE/JDK, Firefox (beta),...). If you want to take your experience against mine, you are more than welcome to try.

I'd recommend Ubuntu or one of its spin-offs to a person switching from Windows/OS X any day. The fundamental thing all three have in common, is that they spend hours and hours trying to make themselves easier to use.

Leave a comment:

• Max Payne
    replied
    Another crappy driver that doesn't fix any major issue, enabling SLI still leads to a crash while booting fedora 20(I've tried other distros in the past the problem is common to all), at least on my setup(2*gtx760).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X