Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got Any Questions For NVIDIA About Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Heh, it was when Neil took over that the Khronos Group finally pulled their head out of their asses and started getting some long over due stuff done.

What still has to happen is a complete Khronos solution to compete with all of DirectX facets and put together the tools and SDK's to support them. Such as input, sound, graphics, etc etc.
    god damn you deanjo i'll never have a question

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
      god damn you deanjo i'll never have a question
      You can ask when will the leafs win?

Comment

Dear my loving and caring nvidia.

Please tell deanjo that the leafs will win the cup next

Comment

TEGRA

I just remembered a question that I feel is very important.

Mobile phones will soon all be GPU powered. NVidia is spending up big in this area. It seems there is a race to get the foot into the door with this technology. Smart phones will become Smarter phones. Since *nix type operating systems have been used on embedded devices for such a long time. Mainly due to the efficiency, cost, performance vs ease of development time. Will NVidia Tegra development be available on the linux scene?

Noah takes us to Nvision 2008 in San Jose to get an up-close look at Nvidia's Tegra system on a chip platform for mobile devices. The first Tegra smartphone...

Google has the Android platform:
          Simplify your Android development, grow your user base, and monetize more effectively with Google Play services.

Eric from HTC (formerly of Phonescoop) gives Doug a hands-on tour of the new T-Mobile G1 Google Android phone live at the launch event in NYC. Get a first l...

Notice android uses virtual screens much like a Linux desktop. (great fun)

I can develop for Android on linux:

Google seems to be steam rolling ahead. Providing universal support rather than selfishly cornering the market. The user (me) wants a phone that can do it all. I don't want an iPhone or Microsoft phone. I want a phone where I choose the operating platform, the hardware and allow the community input it's own software.

My Sony z610i isn't bad. Though it seems far too Sony focused rather than innovating solutions for the customer.

Regards,

Phillip Kilby.

Comment

How will NVIDIA compete with open competitors?

Question:

Both Intel and AMD supply open, NDA-less documentation for their graphics chips. The buying decisions within the free software and GNU/Linux communities are very strongly focussed on these manufacturers precisely because of this. The documentation enables an open, bazaar-style development model of drivers which has economic advantages over a closed, cathedral-style development model. It also enables increased synergy with the rest of the free software desktop, particularly the X windowing system.

Last year there was a 61% increase in the market share of GNU/Linux on the desktop, which is quite phenomenal. These increases will no doubt continue. The future upper limit of this market share cannot be known but it seems clear that the GNU/Linux desktop must factor into any long-term strategy in the IT industry.

With the advantages that open documentation brings to Intel and AMD, NVIDIA seems in danger of being left behind, if it hasn't been already. How will NVIDIA mitigate the disadvantages of a closed product?

Comment

Here's a question regarding VDPAU:

I remembered hearing VDPAU is not supported by G80-based GPU due to the absence of a true dedicated video decoder. However, seeing that PureVideo works to some extent in Windows as to offload video decoding from the CPU, is it possible to extend the functionality of VDPAU to include G80-based GPU? Probably through other means like the use of CUDA?

Comment

Some of my questions are Linux/BSD specific and a few others are general nVidia-related.

1) Does nVidia have plans to upgrade the memory on its cards to match/surpass that of AMD/ATI? AMD/ATI currently uses GDDR5 while nVidia's highest-end current-gen cards still use GDDR3. Is there any plan to change that in the next upcoming line-up?

2) With AMD/ATI releasing unencumbered hardware documentation to allow free and open-source drivers to be made separate from their proprietary driver, will nVidia consider doing something similar?

3) With FreeBSD 8.0 coming within a month (hopefully) and most (if not all) of nVidia's requests implemented, will there be a 64-bit nVidia FreeBSD driver soon?

4) Is the Tegra platform going to be supported by proprietary-only drivers or will there be some openness in that area?

5) Any plans for GEM/KMS support?

Comment

Originally posted by BlueJayofEvil View Post
                  1) Does nVidia have plans to upgrade the memory on its cards to match/surpass that of AMD/ATI? AMD/ATI currently uses GDDR5 while nVidia's highest-end current-gen cards still use GDDR3. Is there any plan to change that in the next upcoming line-up?
                  When it comes to memory speed they are pretty much on par. Nvidia's user of a wider memory bus offsets the faster but narrower bus card with GDDR5.

Comment

About 24 hours or so until I will end the call for questions.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I have to admit that I didn't read all questions in this thread, so I'll just hope it hasn't been asked already:

Will Nvidia support the usage of .ICC-Color-Profiles in their drivers?

It'd be enough to just enable nvidia-settings to load a specified ICC-profile via a special parameter. It his extremely annyoing to reload my ICC-profile via xcalib after running the Nvidia-GUI or nvidia-settings which overrides any color-calibration. It would be even better if it supported ICC-profiles per plugged device, which is a feature xcalib is still lacking.

Comment

Working...
                      X