Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 550 Linux Beta Driver Released With Many Fixes, VR Displays & Better (X)Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 550 Linux Beta Driver Released With Many Fixes, VR Displays & Better (X)Wayland

Phoronix: NVIDIA 550 Linux Beta Driver Released With Many Fixes, VR Displays & Better (X)Wayland

For going along with today's GeForce RTX 4070 Ti graphics card launch (Linux review in the days ahead due to late arrival of my RTX 40 series hardware), NVIDIA has published their first R550 series Linux driver beta. The NVIDIA 550.40.07 Linux driver is now available with many bug fixes and a few new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GeForce RTX 4070 Ti
    I think you meant GeForce RTX 4070 Super Ti.

That being said it is really big update and if we finally could move to explicit sync and if all those fixes/additions actually work right, we could get potentially really good nvidia wayland expierience, what means we can finally everyone can move to wayland and wayland won't be bad expierience.
    Last edited by piotrj3; 24 January 2024, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Just FYI, lots of the changes seem to be once again from older driver releases. I've listed what should be new to this one on GOL.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

I think you meant GeForce RTX 4070 Super Ti.

That being said it is really big update and if we finally could move to explicit sync and if all those fixes/additions actually work right, we could get potentially really good nvidia wayland expierience, what means we can finally everyone can move to wayland and wayland won't be bad expierience.
        Wayland+KWin(6) already works pretty well for me. Granted, my GPU is older (1060) and my setup is 2 monitors side by side (albeit different aspect ratios, which to be a problem in the past - but with Qt, not Nvidia). I can imagine there could be more complex setups, especially wrt VRR or Prime. But for my needs, it's fine.

Comment

experimental support for run-time D3 power management for desktop GPUs
          👀

Between the recent Wayland improvements to the blob driver, and the ridiculous rate of advancement of the NVK driver, we are quickly going from one kinda-janky option to two great ones. 2024 is probably the year I'm switching to Wayland (I'm running Gnome on a laptop with an AMD iGPU and Nvidia dGPU).

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Wayland+KWin(6) already works pretty well for me. Granted, my GPU is older (1060) and my setup is 2 monitors side by side (albeit different aspect ratios, which to be a problem in the past - but with Qt, not Nvidia). I can imagine there could be more complex setups, especially wrt VRR or Prime. But for my needs, it's fine.
            some issues like synchronization can still happen in certain cases, although that depends on your luck as issue is rare.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I've a similar setup - 1080TI+two screens , but I have spontaneous flickering of certain windows with the latest stable driver. Really annoying.

Comment

Makes the GNOME Wayland session unable to be selected in GDM for me
                `org.gnome.Shell.desktop[980]: Failed to setup: The GPU /dev/dri/card0 chosen as primary is not supported by EGL.`

Seems like a good release. Both 545 and 550 series have been unusable and full of regressions.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

I've a similar setup - 1080TI+two screens , but I have spontaneous flickering of certain windows with the latest stable driver. Really annoying.
                  Are we talking the same "latest stable"? Mine is 545.29.06.

Comment

Originally posted by joebonrichie View Post
                    Makes the GNOME Wayland session unable to be selected in GDM for me
                    `org.gnome.Shell.desktop[980]: Failed to setup: The GPU /dev/dri/card0 chosen as primary is not supported by EGL.`

Seems like a good release. Both 545 and 550 series have been unusable and full of regressions.
                    Yeah, it's almost like there isn't a big "beta" in the title of the article.
                    Try KDE, maybe you'll have less issues with that.

Comment

Working...
                    X