Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 550 Linux Beta Driver Released With Many Fixes, VR Displays & Better (X)Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Are we talking the same "latest stable"? Mine is 545.29.06.
    Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Yeah, it's almost like there isn't a big "beta" in the title of the article.
      Try KDE, maybe you'll have less issues with that.
      It's almost like v545 was stable, was it? GNOME Wayland broke for me too since it's the only DE on Wayland that makes me unable to play games: suddenly no game opens using WINE, how hilarious. COSMIC DE works and it's Wayland only.

Comment

Originally posted by joebonrichie View Post
        Makes the GNOME Wayland session unable to be selected in GDM for me
        `org.gnome.Shell.desktop[980]: Failed to setup: The GPU /dev/dri/card0 chosen as primary is not supported by EGL.`

Seems like a good release. Both 545 and 550 series have been unusable and full of regressions.
        Thanks for sharing your gpu hardware info.

I'm reading a lot of Nvidia gpu owners saying the experience is improving a lot - that using Wayland is (becoming) smooth - not just here but other sites (I visit) as well. Sounds promising. You might want to provide more info?

Comment

Hope they can enabled DLSS Frame Gen support sometime soon. (I know few here would use it, but I sometimes do)

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
            I'm reading a lot of Nvidia gpu owners saying the experience is improving a lot - that using Wayland is (becoming) smooth - not just here but other sites (I visit) as well. Sounds promising. You might want to provide more info?
            Wayland is broken by design so I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
              Well then, if you doubt it, I guess we'd better pack up and go home.

I didn't hold my breath for Wayland, I gave it a try every 6 months or so and then promptly went back to X. With Plasma 6, I don't have to go back to X anymore. There are two annoying issues (one with Firefox, one with Chromium) that I run into. But other than that, it's usable. Broken, maybe, but usable.

Comment

This beta is soo beta that it killed all window decorations along with any cursor stability for me (4060ti 16G, ubuntu 23.10). Back to 545.29.06.

Comment

Re: "beta quality support for GeForce and Workstation GPUs on the Open Kernel Modules"

Anyone care to comment what it's like / what breaks / what works well trying to use Open Kernel Modules NV driver with
                  LINUX desktop and ordinary mid-range Ampere consumer GPUs?

Comment

Originally posted by pong View Post
                    Re: "beta quality support for GeForce and Workstation GPUs on the Open Kernel Modules"

Anyone care to comment what it's like / what breaks / what works well trying to use Open Kernel Modules NV driver with
                    LINUX desktop and ordinary mid-range Ampere consumer GPUs?
                    even nvidia don't know, they say "beta" quality but their official drivers seen to have alpha quality or worse

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                      Read around, of ppl who Nvidia gpus and using Wayland - the latest Nvidia driver - seems to me, that more ppl are reporting 'improvements' with experience. At least, that was my experience.

Comment

Working...
                      X