NVIDIA 545.29.02 Linux Driver Released With Much Better Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M.Bahr View Post

By those prejudices you have just exposed, that you didn't use modern amd gpus for a long time. Most of the points are not true except for compute at the moment and hdmi 2.1. But guess what, this is not even a disadvantage as it turned out, that hdmi cables got mostly bad signal quality in comparison to display port cables, which are preferred by more experienced users than you obviously. Also software support for compute is improving. But of what use is a high end nvidia gpu with nvidia's drivers for linux, when they often perform worse than on winblows? Thank you nvidia for contributing to a bad reputation of linux due to your garbage drivers.: https://youtu.be/iJsUcVOmZAY
    But don't worry i am not going to convince you. Just throw more of your money into nvidia's throat, because ...

Ngreedia, the way it's meant to be paid!
    Fair enough - I haven't used an AMD gpu in Windows or Linux for a long time. But, I'm going by AMD gpu users/owners themselves and the facts/info - that is reported - regarding performance/issues in Compute/Blender, ML, video editing and gaming - I conceded it's fine for gaming. I think it's a coin flip for games - in Windows and the FOSS driver in Linux probably makes it a good combo/fit - but, gaming for me is - ranked....I dunno, third, maybe - in my priority list.
    Do you use an AMD gpu for anything other than gaming? I have read of some hdmi audio problems - I dunno if that's mostly amd or nvidia or both. So, I suppose there's some hdmi issues but my critique is for the hdmi 2.1 format not to work at all - which eliminates use with modern monitors and especially, 4K TVs - which I care about the latter. I use a large screen - 50" and I'm not changing anytime soon....if anyone wants to buy a 50" monitor, great but I don't have 3 grand for a monitor that size. So, I use a 4K TV - in the future, I probably want one that offers hdmi 2.1, maybe 120 hz - but, AMD gpus don't work with hdmi 2.1 because of the HDMI forum. That's not my fault or problem. I have to go with the features and options I want and prefer. Every time I look at the features that AMD supports - they are lacking this and that. I find it difficult to recommend or support AMD because of this.
    Edit: Don't tell me to use display port either. That cop-out is unacceptable and nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by Rovano View Post
      Doesn't AMD cards on Linux no longer lose anymore compared to Windows? Performance maybe?
      Nvidia's proprietary linux driver is still a mixed bag for their customers. The performance is often below nvidia's windows driver. And i doubt, that nvidia is ever going to improve the quality of their linux drivers, unless more people are moving from windows to linux. Sadly there is not much hope in terms of an open source alternative like nouveau and nvk, as nvidia's proprietary firmware blob poses no stable ABI.
      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The mesa radv drivers are very performant for a long time now. They often can overtake amd's windows driver. As for the compute side i hope we can some day use rusticl as a viable cross vendor alternative to end the ongoing cuda vendor-lock-in drawback.

Comment

Nvidia's proprietary linux driver is still a mixed bag for their customers. The performance is often below nvidia's windows driver. And i doubt, that nvidia is ever going to improve the quality of their linux drivers, unless more people are moving from windows to linux. Sadly there is not much hope in terms of an open source alternative like nouveau and nvk, as nvidia's proprietary firmware blob poses no stable ABI.
        Why are you and other Linux users complaining about the lack of a stable ABI for Nvidia hardware? Linux users hate stable ABIs. So much so that you all even point to the overused "stable_abi_nonsense" file that Linus left in the kernel all the time. Unstable ABIs means developers have the "freedom" to break things in the name of improvement.

So why are you complaining? Nvidia is giving you the unstable ABI you all wanted and insisted on.

And why are you all complaining that Qt6 breaks away from Qt5, or GTK4 breaks away from GTK3? Or when Python 3 breaks from Python 2 and every Perl release breaks an older one? After all, stable ABIs are all nonsense.​

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Why are you and other Linux users complaining about the lack of a stable ABI for Nvidia hardware? Linux users hate stable ABIs. So much so that you all even point to the overused "stable_abi_nonsense" file that Linus left in the kernel all the time. Unstable ABIs means developers have the "freedom" to break things in the name of improvement.

So why are you complaining? Nvidia is giving you the unstable ABI you all wanted and insisted on.

And why are you all complaining that Qt6 breaks away from Qt5, or GTK4 breaks away from GTK3? Or when Python 3 breaks from Python 2 and every Perl release breaks an older one? After all, stable ABIs are all nonsense.​
          You seem to have some misconceptions about GNU Linux. We don't hate stable ABIs. Linus set one main principle for Linux. "Don't break userspace." This is to have a reliable base for the devs and the users. As for open source drivers like mesa this principle can be uphold, while being able to extend features at the same time nevertheless.
          But with an out-of-tree kernel module like nvidia's without stable ABI we got no guarantee for anything and also can not debug and fix issues that easy. We need more documentation about nvidia's hardware functions. But a big portion of the control seem to have been moved into nvidia's over-sized firmware blob. This could mean an even bigger disadvantage for nvk and nouveau as it already is.

As for your examples of GTK3-4 and Qt5-6 you are comparing apples with oranges there. If one doesn't like GTK for whatever reason, that dev can switch to another GUI Toolkit. Or the dev can simply fork GTK and QT and customize them for special needs. But do you have such options and freedom with nvidia's drivers? No, you don't. You totally depend on their sad record of mediocre support for GNU Linux and this is a big problem. Maybe nvidia's politics is going to change in decade or so. But until then, I can't recommend their products to anyone of my friends or to my customers.
          Last edited by M.Bahr; 22 November 2023, 05:05 PM.

Comment

You seem to have some misconceptions about GNU Linux. We don't hate stable ABIs. Linus set one main principle for Linux. "Don't break userspace." This is to have a reliable base for the devs and the users. As for open source drivers like mesa this principle can be uphold, while being able to extend features at the same time nevertheless.
            But with an out-of-tree kernel module like nvidia's without stable ABI we got no guarantee for anything and also can not debug and fix issues that easy. We need more documentation about nvidia's hardware functions. But a big portion of the control seem to have been moved into nvidia's over-sized firmware blob. This could mean an even bigger disadvantage for nvk and nouveau as it already is.

As for your examples of GTK3-4 and Qt5-6 you are comparing apples with oranges there. If one doesn't like GTK for whatever reason, that dev can switch to another GUI Toolkit. Or the dev can simply fork GTK and QT and customize them for special needs. But do you have such options and freedom with nvidia's drivers? No, you don't. You totally depend on their sad record of mediocre support for GNU Linux and this is a big problem. Maybe nvidia's politics is going to change in decade or so. But until then, I can't recommend their products to anyone of my friends or to my customers.
            No, this is just Linux wanting to have its cake and eat it too.

You whine that without a stable ABI from Nvidia you have no guarantee for anything. Ever thought how countless other hardware vendors must have felt when they wanted to target the Linux kernel for driver development?

You made your bed, now lie on it.

Comment

Sonadow You are trolling.

Comment

Working...
              X