NVIDIA 545.29.02 Linux Driver Released With Much Better Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 545.29.02 Linux Driver Released With Much Better Wayland Support

Phoronix: NVIDIA 545.29.02 Linux Driver Released With Much Better Wayland Support

Earlier this month NVIDIA published the R545 Linux driver beta while today it's been promoted to the stable series with the NVIDIA 545.29.02 Linux driver release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Much better Wayland support.
    Yeah right!
    But who knows, it might be true in a way, since they're coming from no and garbage level Wayland support.
    I would still not use a Nvidia GPU, even if someone gives me one gratis!

But let me guess, when KDE Plasma and others will bring HDR support, it will still not work on Nvidia GPUs, does Nvidia's driver supprt HDR, in any way or at least it plans to in the following months?
    Last edited by Danny3; 31 October 2023, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      But let me guess, when KDE Plasma and others will bring HDR support, it will still not work on Nvidia GPUs, does Nvidia's driver supprt HDR, in any way or at least it plans to in the following months?
      Doesn't "10 bit per component" mean HDR?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        does Nvidia's driver supprt HDR, in any way or at least it plans to in the following months?
        From the release notes:
        • Added support for HDR signaling via the HDR_OUTPUT_METADATA and Colorspace per-connector DRM properties when nvidia-drm is loaded with the `modeset=1` parameter.
        ​

Comment

Oh my, they are still fixing the flickering bugs left, right and centre.

Comment

Originally posted by Khrundel View Post
            Doesn't "10 bit per component" mean HDR?
            No those are different things but advanced HDR modes need 10 bit colors.

Comment

How many times have we seen "much better wayland support"? But this time, maybe it finally good!

Comment

I hope RPMFusion will hurry up and include it for F39.

Comment

Happy to see them closing feature gaps and clearly prioritizing Wayland.

Related: there was also a new release of their egl-wayland library, fixing some bugs: https://github.com/NVIDIA/egl-waylan...ses/tag/1.1.13

Not sure if that is included in the driver bundle.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
                    No those are different things but advanced HDR modes need 10 bit colors.
                    I have been speculating about it myself in the past, but I believe it is just Nvidia's way of saying they are supporting HDR10. They will only phrase this neutrally as "Deep Color" or "10-bit per component" rather than calling it HDR10. HDR10 is not the only 10-bit standard and HDR10 implies that the colour information is encoded in the REC.2020-colourspace, which is a non-linear colourspace mapping 1024 values onto a wider range of intensities than the sRGB-colourspace does. The mapping of the values to intensities then happens in the monitor, while the graphics card and driver merely have to pass this information on. So it makes more sense to call it "Deep Colour" (which is how Nvidia has been calling it) or "10-bits per component" rather than to imply to know what exactly happens with the 10-bit colour information on the output devices (aka monitor).

Comment

Working...
                    X