NVIDIA 530.41.03 Linux Driver Released With IBT Kernel Support, Vulkan Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pharmasolin View Post
    On wayland that's just work, further more, with gamescope I can isolate game's "monitor environment' and drag it on different monitors, not (un)plug monitors with different refresh rates and everything just WORKS. I don't know regarding different resolutions on different screens, but I bet it's working fine as well.
    except it doesnt "just work" on 80% of the discrete gpus in the wild. In steam VR it cant even manage 1fps, more like 2 or 3 seconds per frame (thats a regression, it did used to manage 30fps 12 months ago)
    whats the point of a lightweight compositor that is 100 times slower than the heavy weight one in many important cases, and has no support for some of the most valuable cases? - not much, long way from being ready.
    Last edited by mSparks; 27 March 2023, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mSparks View Post

except it doesnt "just work" on 80% of the discrete gpus in the wild. In steam VR it cant even manage 1fps, more like 2 or 3 seconds per frame (thats a regression, it did used to manage 30fps 12 months ago)
      whats the point of a lightweight compositor that is 100 times slower than the heavy weight one in many important cases, and has no support for some of the most valuable cases? - not much, long way from being ready.
      It works like Henry Ford once said: "you can have a car in any color you want, as long as you want it black"

Comment

Again, 80% need to get support from their vendor if they have a problem with their driver.

And VR users can stay on X for now.

Comment

Again, 80% need to get support from their vendor if they have a problem with their driver.

And VR users can stay on X for now.
          In case you hadnt noticed the topic of the thread, nvidia do actually invest in their drivers rather than leave it to unpaid open source volunteers with little to no experience.

I take it you havent seen how badly wayland has also regressed on AMD recently then:
          Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

wayland managing a stonking 70% less fps in dirt rally 2 on a 7900XTX vs xorg, and best case about matching X perf in other cases.

In theory wayland should be massively outperforming xorg in all cases, in practice it is lucky if it can par performance. All the while still lacking basic functionality.

To me it looks like 100% are better just not caring until wayland fixes its $#1☆, and nvidia "not caring enough" is the least of their problems, if they were less $#1☆ nvidia would likely care more anyway.
          Last edited by mSparks; 27 March 2023, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Then consider wayland open beta (for yourself).

Comment

I think here is a good summary

Comment

Then consider wayland open beta (for yourself).
                when there is a good reason to do so and they fix their ☆ sure. But as long as they keep blaming nvidia for an AMD7900XTX getting more than 3 times the fps on xorg than on wayland that's not going to be any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
                  when there is a good reason to do so and they fix their ☆ sure. But as long as they keep blaming nvidia for an AMD7900XTX getting more than 3 times the fps on xorg than on wayland that's not going to be any time soon.
                  Most games are running via xwayland, wine is on a way to make a transition to wayland rn.
                  What game has x3 performance with AMD on xorg?

Comment

Most games are running via xwayland, wine is on a way to make a transition to wayland rn.
                    What game has x3 performance with AMD on xorg?
                    I just linked you the phoronix benchmarks like two posts ago.
                    worst case for wayland, xorg does 3 times the fps, best case it equals it. average 16% less fps on wayland for nvidia and amd.

Im not saying that developers shouldn't begin to adapt their software to support wayland use cases, I am saying that is all a long way from being ready to use on an otherwise rock solid full PC system that xorg provides.
                    And further, if they keep regressing/getting worse like they have in the last 12 months, and fobbing off their garbage code as a nvidia problem it never will be ready, I actually suspect it never will be because they made some terrible design choices in there which will always make it a weak second to xorg for anything but edge cases like a single small display steam deck with a low power processor and gpu (where the investment in wayland is coming from).

Comment

I've tested this drivers on Neon and the computer freezes... the aspect ratio is reduced...

Comment

Working...
                      X