No announcement yet.

NVIDIA 530.41.03 Linux Driver Released With IBT Kernel Support, Vulkan Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm on Ubuntu 22.04, I use proper hardware for Linux which is Radeon graphics I use mainline kernel and kisak-mesa ppa. I use old gnome provided by the lts ubuntu (this means outdated mutter, Wayland I suppose).

Also I use 165hz display connected via display port, and I have zero issues with Wayland. I play games and I get my 165fps if I use vsync, or more if I don't​​​​.

Even on desktop I see difference between 60 and 165hz if I change settings.

Buy proper hardware and enjoy new tech. Or use X because you stuck with your old Nvidia card and their archaic driver. (But they are trying so soon maybe we will see something even better what amd offers rn, for example proper app to control graphic card, as windows user have).

The problem is definitely not in Wayland in your case.

Comment

Originally posted by pharmasolin View Post
      I get my 165fps if I use vsync, or more if I don't​​​​.
      Please provide a link on how to disable vsync in wayland, on means any app synced on video output cannot run faster that 16.6 ms per frame when you have 1 or more 60Hz displays (I got 5...) and afaik, you cannot.

The problem is definitely not in Wayland in your case.
      Well, its possible it still has installer issues, but the main show stopper was not being able to work out how to set 16-235 color mode.
      I gave up on finding

The short answer: Wayland protocol itself doesn’t provide a facility for this, and the developers are leaving that up to the compositor to manage[1], and this hasn’t been implemented yet[2].

The way to do this is with the ‘proptest’ utility, a test suite built with libdrm. You typically won’t find this distributed anywhere. This solution is hacky but it gets the job done.

We 6 years on, is this implemented anywhere yet?

I got nothing against wayland, more lightweight in the few specific situations that need more lightweight is great, but there seems to be this whole idea that everyone should rewrite everything to adapt to wayland, but only complete idiots try to fix things that aren't broken, and I'm perfectly happy on X11 and have been for decades.

So, blaming nvidia that things on wayland don't work, when they do work on X11 is nothing if not hilarious.

Comment

Wait till HDR will work on Wayland and then we will stop this nonsense of sending links for a use cases that 99.99% users don't need/care.

Comment

that 99.99% users don't need/care.
          That sounds like a very "microsoft" approach to computing.
          only 0.1% of users will need it so we'll try our hardest to make sure they can never have it.

There's no such thing as an "average linux user", unless of course you are talking comp sci students using X11 over SSH.....

Comment

Originally posted by mSparks View Post

well, one of the things that did get solved for wayland sometime in the last 6 or 12 months is obs streaming and screen recording. you should share your findings on YT rather than just stating them as fact, perhaps compete with a YT search of "wayland fps" returning top hit as

https://youtu.be/cd_B9e3PBQU
            Ok I checked video and comments, some say that amd freesync fixes issues most people have. I use AMD freesync 165hz monitor dp to dp, wayland for me is smooth, I didn't check X.org tho, but I don't have to. I don't do esports, it's fine for me and I don't care.

OBS issues, if you check comments even author replied 2 weeks ago:
            Yeah, I use Window Recording as often as possible because of that, though Desktop Capture performance has seen some mad performance improvements in the last year
            I assume there is a progress (I personally used OBS just to record my desktop with AV1 encoder, no lags, perfect picture).

And so on. And don't forget x.org is still there, if you want just switch to X and enjoy.

But on my opinion Nvidia should have been joined development of the protocol and not ignore it, right now we would have even better protocol. BUT they already switching to a better way of doing things. And valve is on board with gaming on linux. If you want to use wayland buy proper modern hardware, if you want to use your old hardware - stay on X, if you bought new hardware which is not comparable with new software then why to complain?

Comment

Ok I checked video and comments, some say that amd freesync fixes issues most people have. I use AMD freesync 165hz monitor dp to dp, wayland for me is smooth, I didn't check X.org tho, but I don't have to. I don't do esports, it's fine for me and I don't care.

OBS issues, if you check comments even author replied 2 weeks ago:

I assume there is a progress (I personally used OBS just to record my desktop with AV1 encoder, no lags, perfect picture).

And so on. And don't forget x.org is still there, if you want just switch to X and enjoy.

But on my opinion Nvidia should have been joined development of the protocol and not ignore it, right now we would have even better protocol. BUT they already switching to a better way of doing things. And valve is on board with gaming on linux. If you want to use wayland buy proper modern hardware, if you want to use your old hardware - stay on X, if you bought new hardware which is not comparable with new software then why to complain?
              Nvidia cares about doing gpu compute at 1000fps+ and people spending $30,000 per A100 seat, they dont care about you managing to get 165fps to write libreoffice documents. Its just not the fault of nvidia that wayland doesn't care about utilising modern and the cutting edge GPU solutions and only focuses on bottom of the barrel cheap silicon that was out of date a decade ago.

Pretending that X11 forwarding has anything to do with "old hardware" is just you fooling yourself, its a vital component of running applications remotely on powerful GPU clusters when you want more than 1 person to be able to access your multimillion dollar graphics farm.

But yes, you dont need any of that, and wayland is pretty good for you and the 99.999% of computer users that are unsure what a power cable does.

Comment

Pretending that X11 forwarding has anything to do with "old hardware" is just you fooling yourself, its a vital component of running applications remotely on powerful GPU clusters when you want more than 1 person to be able to access your multimillion dollar graphics farm.
                Yea? Those folks can afford patching X.org for future use. I don't need this on desktop. If I would need, I can switch back to X at anytime. I don't see a problem for users here.

Comment

Please provide a link on how to disable vsync in wayland, on means any app synced on video output cannot run faster that 16.6 ms per frame when you have 1 or more 60Hz displays (I got 5...) and afaik, you cannot.
                  The output frame rate of Wayland compositors & clients is not artificially limited by the lowest refresh rate monitor, that's a Xorg architecture limitation. Each output and clients visible there run at that monitor's refresh rate.

vsync can be disabled on the client side, either in the game settings or via environment variables. This does not result in more frames per second being actually visible (not possible without tearing), it can result in lower input → output latency though.

So, blaming nvidia that things on wayland don't work, when they do work on X11 is nothing if not hilarious.
                  We were previously talking about things which are working with Wayland with other drivers, just not with nvidia yet.

Comment

Yea? Those folks can afford patching X.org for future use. I don't need this on desktop. If I would need, I can switch back to X at anytime. I don't see a problem for users here.
                    well, multiple monitor resolution support is pretty much a must have for desktop, it would also have been good to have on the devices like the steam deck.

Also, they do patch it, in case you were wondering why xorg works flawlessly for pretty much everything and wayland ... doesn't..
                    We were previously talking about things which are working with Wayland with other drivers, just not with nvidia yet.
                    That do work flawlessly on X11 and not at all on wayland.
                    I find blaming nvidia for waylands bad design choices fantastical tbh. "Wayland can't XXXX because nvidia didnt pay the relevent wayland tax yet", yeah, right, lolz.
                    Last edited by mSparks; 27 March 2023, 03:33 PM.

Comment

well, multiple monitor resolution support is pretty much a must have for desktop, it would also have been good to have on the devices like the steam deck.
                      On wayland that's just work, further more, with gamescope I can isolate game's "monitor environment' and drag it on different monitors, not (un)plug monitors with different refresh rates and everything just WORKS. I don't know regarding different resolutions on different screens, but I bet it's working fine as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X