NVIDIA 530.41.03 Linux Driver Released With IBT Kernel Support, Vulkan Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

If they need a year for this no wonder they need so long to get their wayland support straight
    There were reasons they couldn't go with ZSTD right away:

1. Corporate inertia (which is not limited to NVIDIA and is oh so common with other large companies as well)
    2. Standalone decompessor (they didn't know it existed - I found the code for them)
    3. They just didn't know or weren't interested in anything other than LZMA which works well albeit being relatively slow to decompress vs. ZSTD.

Now I want to hope their Windows installer will follow. It's equally slow.

Comment

Ok, so now it is just VirtualBox that holds me from enabling IBT... Sigh...

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        using the Xfce 4 deskop with

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

The most surprising thing about you is that I'm 99.99% sure that you call yourself an open source fan or something, yet instead of skipping this news piece, you actually clicked on comments and left your own one.

Why? Really, why?

I have a ton of things in life I couldn't care less about - I don't go around leaving inane comments expressing my grunt. You could have turned your resentment into learning to code and improving something in Open Source. A ton of open source projects severely lack manpower, yet here you are, wasting energy, time and space.
          Drama, drama, drama...

There are literally tens of thousands of open bug reports and feature requests in various open source projects. Yet here we are hating on NVIDIA which is a very successful company which employs tens of thousands of talented people who just happened to chose the closed source over open. And many didn't do that on their own volition. And many people in NVIDIA do contribute to Open Source.

Comments like yours are painful to read. A literal eye sore.

"I'm so cool, I'm in the Open Source tribe, I chose it as my own religion, let's denigrate other tribes".

Tens of thousands of years ago people in tribes actually fought hard for survival but today's tribes are often only good for loud vapid proclamations.
          Attack, attack, attack...

And lastly.

What if NVIDIA didn't offer closed source drivers for Linux at all? Would it be better then? I guess you never thought about that. "Everyone using Linux must buy an Intel/AMD GPU or go f themselves", right? No option to stay with NVIDIA whose Windows drivers have generally been sublime and the company actually provided drivers for the open source people who at every turn love to talk shit about the company.
          AMD had a horrendous driver situation two decades ago (and NVIDIA was king despite closed-source).

Comment

It seems that this release fixes many bugs. I hope it will be available via repositories soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by d3coder View Post

It's wayland and linux issue, nothing to do with nvidia.
              It can't be fixed until this is implemented https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayla...ge_requests/90
              Why is it not implemented yet?

Comment

There were reasons they couldn't go with ZSTD right away:

1. Corporate inertia (which is not limited to NVIDIA and is oh so common with other large companies as well)
                2. Standalone decompessor (they didn't know it existed - I found the code for them)
                3. They just didn't know or weren't interested in anything other than LZMA which works well albeit being relatively slow to decompress vs. ZSTD.

Now I want to hope their Windows installer will follow. It's equally slow.
                It appears that the Nvidia Linux developers also need legitimate external solicitations and/or support. If a real collaboration could have been achieved, probably the Nvidia and Linux developers would have already solved many annoying problems on Wayland.
                Last edited by MorrisS.; 25 March 2023, 10:44 AM.

Comment

sounds like suspend and hibernate issues might be fixed? hoping that's true

Comment

and those annoying bugs still haven't been fixed:

Ok now we know, that ‘the ball is on the Your - NVs side’ …what’s Your move and when ? DLSS 3 support is disabled

Could be related to your custom kernel build then. The tests I did on the videos were using default Ubuntu from https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ And the parameters were mentioned at Linux Gaming | Gaming Performance Impact of Kernel Parameters - YouTube While the Nvidia driver is either from the Nvidia PPA or, in the particular case that I have right now, from the RUN file from Nvidia.com if that helps.

That’s exactly how it is - the best ‘tester’ is Deathloop with everything on the max - under the RTX 4070 Ti after about 15 minutes of playing there is a hiccup as for the RTX 3050 … 100% with 12 GB VRAM. The same e.g. Cyberpunk 2077 on a mobile RTX 3060 with 6 GB VRAM - it doesn’t matter DLSS on Performace = 100% 6 GB already occupied in a moment on the highest settings and drop from e.g. 50 fps to 10 … under 520 drivers turning on DLSS on Performacne freeing a lot of VRAM - but on 525 there is...

Comment

The driver being closed source isn't bad for religious reasons, in practice it just results in it not playing nice with everything else in the ecosystem, and that people can't actually fix their problems without waiting months/years for Nvidia to care.

When I had an amdgpu, many of the issues were solved by the constant stream in updates in kerrnel and mesa, not only by AMD but by the community also.
                      Sometimes it meant patching your kernel, or using drm-tip/amdgpu trees, or the latest mesa-git, or providing useful bug reports and waiting for someone to eventually tackle it.

With my nvidia card, I never got actual support on forums or by e-mail. You just hopefuly wait for them to care, it sucks.

Comment

Working...
                      X